shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for a large stone

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Here is the picture of the stone I am currently holding for a (now) five day inspection period. This photo of it pairs it with my original 2mm yellow gold wedding ring which I intend to wear with it, should I decide to keep it.

Hand1_0.jpg

I have looked at the online photos of Vatche's Swan and Royal Crown X and am not sure either would work with my wedding ring. For sentimental reasons, I do want to wear my band with this stone, and want to be sure that the setting will look right with it.

Since many of you have very definite favorite settings among the rings posted here and in SMTB, my question to you is this: if you were picking a setting for this stone to be paired with this band, which setting would you choose...and why?!

I am looking forward to reading (and seeing pictures of!) your recommendations! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you'd like the shank to be yellow gold and the prongs platinum?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, a gorgeous stone like that doesn't need embellishment, in my opinion, so I am going to start with plain solitaires. These three are from Brian Gavin. First is the classic Tiffany setting with a rounded shank instead of knife edge, then the Grace, and the Elegance. (ignore the yellow color on these pictures because I think they have just colored yellow over the original white gold settings! I am sure they could match your gold pretty well if they knew what it was.)

BGDeleganceyg.jpg

BGDgraceyg2.jpg

BGDgraceyg.jpg

BGygtiffany.jpg

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305346715|2921477 said:
So you'd like the shank to be yellow gold and the prongs platinum?

I think so, but I am not opposed to it being all platinum either.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring in my avatar is made by Leon. My only hesitation is that it cannot be too delicate for a stone that size because we have a member here who had a large diamond in a thinner setting than mine by Leon and her prongs came loose (as well as the whole head). These rings are magnified so much, but they are really more delicate in person. I'd probably try asking Steven Kirsch who used to work for Leon if he could do it but make it not too thin. A 2mm shank is plenty thin for a stone that size! The double claw prongs would probably make it more secure. But yes, I can understand why you might want a Leon type setting for a stone like that!

Well, I am not sure he does his exactly like Leon. So on second thought, you might want to just ask Leon. I can't recall a classic solitaire with a yellow gold shank and platinum head, but surely he would do it because I have seen him work with rose gold before.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305347843|2921491 said:
The ring in my avatar is made by Leon. My only hesitation is that it cannot be too delicate for a stone that size because we have a member here who had a large diamond in a thinner setting than mine by Leon and her prongs came loose (as well as the whole head). These rings are magnified so much, but they are really more delicate in person. I'd probably try asking Steven Kirsch who used to work for Leon if he could do it but make it not too thin. A 2mm shank is plenty thin for a stone that size!

I agree. I am not looking for a thinner shank, but perhaps more shapely prongs. The BG ones look chunky to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just added to my post above that I think I would just ask Leon about this project. I think the key is to have elegant pointy prongs but they need to not be too thin.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I agree with you, DS. I certainly do NOT want to have the stone fall out of the setting.

On the other hand, I am afraid the stone itself will look too "chunky" if is set alone, so another thing I am considering is a pair of thin, tapered baguettes on either side of the diamond to give some balance to the top of the ring so it does not look so "heavy" on my finger.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore tapered baguettes, but I am not sure how much space you have left visible on your finger with a stone that size. The other factor is that the cathedral sides of the solitaire serve a purpose of stabilizing the head of the ring. But let's see if we see a large stone with baguettes.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Like this one below. The LM site indicates it is a seven carat center stone.

lm1081.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous! That certainly would be gorgeous! I had not recalled seeing one posted here on PS, but I didn't see that one on his site, probably because I was in the solitaire section!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I really like this one, and wish he had a side view posted on the site. I guess I could ask if he has any other photos of it when I call.

I also think it would be easy to mix the metals on this one, but without seeing the side view, I am not entirely sure.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either setting would look fabulous with your stone! I'm partial to the super plain ones myself, given the size of your stone, but I can see the flip side - I know my (much smaller :cheeky: ) stone looks much less - prominent - with sidestones, so I can see how baguettes would de-boulder-ify the look a bit..

Band won't sit flush with any of the doughnut styles, if that matters.

The one thing I'll throw out - I don't know how picky you'll be with regard to how well the bands "match" - same height off finger, dome shape and height, etc. If you think you'll be very particular you might consider sending your band in with the stone to make sure that they fit together really well. Also I recently learnt that the colour of two pieces of the same white gold karat and alloy may not be the same - I don't know if this is the case for yellow gold?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I really like the grace or the leon with the tapered baguettes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, gosh, I do love the Sophie extremely. But I would lean toward it more with an OEC. I sort of like the Leon with modern cuts more.

Nana, I was sort of thinking that you could go with all platinum if you add a third thin band with diamonds...the shank of that band should be the width of your wedding band but with yg shank and platinum beads/prongs where the diamonds are. Then you tie your platinum and yg together. I love a thin band of sparkle and 3 thin rings are so pretty together!

This Victor Canera band is a good example except yours could have the platinum where the diamonds are set. Full eternity would be nice as well. She actually has a plain band on with it in one picture.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-hand-forged-diamond-pave-milgrain-band.159242/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-hand-forged-diamond-pave-milgrain-band.159242/[/URL]

Or at least it is a good example of three yellow gold rings!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
DS, I agree with you. That is a beautiful combo!

I will post (waiting for it to load in my email) a picture of a 3.35 I tried on with a small Memoire five stone at my local bm store several weeks ago before I ordered my stone for inspection. I believe I prefer the LM setting posted earlier in the thread, and I LOVE the idea of a very thin, dainty combo metal ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good! I'll look forward to seeing the picture! A Memoire could work also because they are set very low and probably could have the yg shank with platinum or white gold prongs/baskets. I have one but made the mistake of getting 10 pt. stones and I have found that I like a band with smaller diamonds to wear with a diamond solitaire. So I usually wear my Memoire band when I don't want to wear my set.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
:angryfire: It is taking FOREVER for my picture to load!!!!!!!! :nono:

I LOVE my platinum Memoire eternity band and wear it with my three stone 20th anniversary present. Right now, it is the one ring my daughter has begged me to leave to her (or give to her when I don't want to wear it any more)!

Okay, FINALLY: here is the picture. The idea is similar, except the setting the 3.35 was resting in has milgrain beading on the sides and graduated rounds down to the shank. The 1.0 ct. full eternity Memoire band is between the two.

3.35wmemoire.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, gorgeous!!! My original rings were yellow gold and there is such a richness to them! I love that look! So you already have a Memoire eternity ring....I'd say you are set! I'd be curious to know what size the stones are in the 1 ct. eternity. Mine is a 7 stone and I have considered upgrading it to an eternity with smaller stones. I just took a couple of pictures with my platinum rings with both the Memoire and the Legacy band with a plain band between them. I sort of like the separation between the two diamond bands, although I only recently got the plain band from my mother so have been wearing just two rings most of the time. I'll try to post some but we are about to go out and it might be 9:00 (eastern) or so before I can do it.

Oh, and I am still okay with mixing the platinum with your yellow gold. :))

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Actually, now I remember that I tried on the diamond with the store's yellow gold Memoire band (same carat weight as my platinum band) to see what a large stone would look like with my yellow wb and my Memoire band to see if I liked the look. I think I like your idea of mixed metals with smaller stones as a spacer ring to bridge the gap between my wb and the LM setting. I've seen several art deco pieces done that way, and they look fabulous.

I will look forward to seeing your pictures later tonight. Perhaps I'll post my three stone with my Memoire in SMTB too so you can see my collection. :love:

But no IS in the mail today. :(sad I guess Monday will be D(ecision) Day for the diamond! Then I will be off to the bank :appl: :appl: or to FedEX to make the return. ;( ;(

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, Mayk, I saw your contribution and forgot to respond to you!

I considered that very JBEG ring, because I initially thought I wanted a stone with some history. It was such a romantic thought. :loopy:

But I was not "in love" with the setting. :(( I liked it and thought it was very pretty, but it just was not quite me. From my perspective, a ring like that needs to be loved. :love: :love: :love: And in light of my particular circumstances, I wanted to love my ring and treasure it for what it represents to me.

So after much consideration, I decided that a round brilliant might be a better heirloom for my family since I didn't know the story of that particular (or any other, for that matter!) antique stone. I decided I wanted something "new" special to celebrate our own family story (which I am writing for my descendants) about how we met, trials we endured, difficulties we overcame, and joys we shared. These things are not unusual for any marriage of length, but each story has its own ups and downs that influence the generations that come after it, for good...or otherwise.... :(

And though most of my nicer pieces of jewelery celebrate milestones and special moments in our marriage, we had many, many very hard years that were very difficult to celebrate. It is ONLY a triumph of grace that our relationship has survived this long...and that is what I want to celebrate today. I am very hopeful that going forward, things will only get better and better...! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a precious thing to write, ON! I know these jewels will be treasured heirlooms, but there are greater things that we can pass down to our children. Your stories of grace in your life will be a much greater treasure! Our oldest daughter and her husband are expecting their first child later this year, and I do think it is a privilege to be able to pass down what is important in life to our children's children. I look forward to that.

It's hard to go back to the jewelry now, but I would love to see the 3 stone ring and your Memoire band. I thought the one in the picture was yours. I have a big anniversary this year, so I love to get ideas!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure why I am really posting this, but I guess it is because our rings have similar style (just different proportions ;)) )! I am debating about wearing my mother's plain ring with my rings (which were for our 30th anniversary). (I always wore three with my old yellow gold set.)

First are the rings with my Memoire band which I actually no longer wear with the other rings because I prefer the thinner diamond band.

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now the rings with the Legacy band. I have been wearing them without the plain band in between, but I am trying to decide if I have enough room to wear all three!

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
The second and third photos are of my 20th anniversary set of rings. The first picture, though is a picture of my memoire seven stone sapphire band (part of a great Christmas gift) that I often wear with my three stone or with the three stone and memoire eternity. I can't find the hand shot of all three right now. I'll have to resend it from my phone and upload it on the other forum with the rest of the collection. Intentionally, each of the memoire diamonds is the same size as the single stone he proposed with...they are all 20 pointers!

As you can see, I like classic pieces, which is why I think the LM setting would be a great "heirloom" choice for the new stone.

And I agree: the most precious inheritance we leave our children far exceeds material things and is more the substance of things unseen. Overcoming our trials gives evidence to people watching our lives that we truly believe what we say we believe. Words are meaningless unless they are accompanied by actions that support them! :))

eternityandthreestone.jpg

handshot.jpg

halfeternityandthreestone.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results