shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting diamonds

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
are setting diamonds usually priced on size , weight or number of stones.

I have a ering. 14 stones. .6ctw. And a wedding ring. 14 stones .5ctw. I’m thinking of returning and requesting custom rings. With the same weight. But decrease to about 7 stones each.

Also thinking of switching from round to square.
Do you guys think there will be a huge price difference? Ordering from James Allen and bought during a 25% off sales price. Thanks.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5-10 pointers would naturally be more expensive individually than melee stones, but I'm not sure what the price differences would be compared to what you already have.

What square stones would you be looking at? Princess? Asscher? Carré? Peruzzi?

Yoram (GemConcepts) could probably cut the last three of those in whatever size needed, and they would very likely be better than anything from JA, but they might be more expensive.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Educate me ion 5-10. Pointers. Vs. melee?

Interested in princess cut. Prefer to stick with JA because I’m already in trouble can’t delay too much longer already past my
Anniversary

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melee will be something like 1-pointers (0.01ct) or smaller, if I understand things correctly.

0.6ct = 60 points
60 points / 14 stones = 4.28 points per stone

0.5ct = 50 points
50 points / 14 stones = 3.5 points per stone

Clearly my maths failed before my coffee this morning :lol: as that's not melee-sized.

If you want to change to 7-stones with the same carat weights:

0.6ct / 7 = 8.5pt per stone
0.5ct / 7 = 7.14pt per stone

None of the vendors list stones that small in their online inventory, from what I can see, so you will
have to search through JA's ring inventory to see what stock they have that matches what you want.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sleepy, so forgive me....I’m not following the idea, here.
Are you building a custom setting, and perhaps replacing your existing stones with new, or are you using your existing setting, and replacing the stones?
Building a whole new setting + replacing stones will become rather pricey, vs. using an existing setting, and replacing the stones.
Carat weight is 1 dimensional; you need to know the dimensions of the Diamonds, themselves. This will help to determine if you can use your existing setting, or if you will be forced to go custom. Different shapes create different challenges, when setting into an existing setting.
Princess cuts have sharp, defined corners. Your setting will need to accommodate those, and protect them.
If your current setting is not designed in a fashion that it can secure princess cuts, custom is the only route to go, unless you can find an already existing ring that meets your criteria.
I have 7 3.45-3.50mm sq Vintage Cut Asschers from Yoram at GemConcepts. I am having a custom setting made for them. There is a lot of calculation involved, due to the shape & size of the stones.
Just throwing this out there, in an attempt to help, depending on what direction you turn.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Custom will cost you more. You're looking for larger stones and custom work.

Are you looking to have 2 rings with 7 stones or just one ring with 7 stones?

Plus you didnt tell us what you paid for the 2 rings you got at 25% off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results