shape
carat
color
clarity

setting color for red zircon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
hi, I could use some help from the smart ladies and gents here - this is my new red zircon from Jeff White - I love it, it is very lively and rich (though tough to photograph!) - it is red w/ pink, no orange undertones - I am thinking white metal (probably plat.) rather than yellow gold - what do you think? thanks!
1.gif
ETA: just noticed there is some reflection in the upper part of the stone, but IRL no orange tones.

jwredzirc2.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My knee-jerk reaction is platinum as well. Lovely stone!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Claritek! here is a (slightly blurry) one next to my band just for another view. Thanks for looking
1.gif

jwrz2.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Jeff did a beautiful job on that stone! I think it would look lovely in plat as well :)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My vote would be for yellow gold. I love the look of red stones in yellow gold.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
How about 2 tone? I think this stone would look so good with either YG or plat, so 2 tone gets my vote!
A YG bezel and plat shank, yum!
5.gif

Lovely stone btw
36.gif
- I''m digging these zircons lately - can someone tell me are they appropriate for "every other day" rings..?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think this stone will look just as good in whichever metal you choose to go with. It all depends on what look and feel you''d like to achieve; modern (white), antique (rose/yellow), high contrast (white/yellow), low contrast (rose), simple (white/rose), more ornated (yellow) etc.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I agree you could go either way with that stone. It''s really beautiful.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this stone screams for yellow gold.

mz

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:46:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
this stone screams for yellow gold.

mz

I agree, Yellow gold would be beautiful for that stone.
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the picture, it looks like it''s red with orange undertones, which in that case, I would do yellow gold. However, if it''s truly red with pink undertones, I would do white gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also not set a zircon in platinum. Platinum is a very hard metal, and zircon is kind of soft. It might chip. I would use white gold instead if you want to do a white metal.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That stone is lovely. I love zircons. Not much of a help here about the color of gold, though.... I have a bit of a problem with that aspect!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow would be my choice to bring out the rich colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that it''s a lovely stone!!!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Your zircon looks really beautiful, I love the colour! From what I can see on my monitor, I think it would suit the warmer, yellow gold.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Pricescopers are the best!
1.gif
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and thoughtful feedback on color . . . I have been swayed! While I think it would still look lovely if set in white, I played with it in the light today and it is definitely a warmer red vs. a cool/bluish red, so I think that I have made up my mind to do yellow gold. I''ve actually emailed Ann McKay to see if she would adapt the setting below for my cushion-y cut zircon - I would do a milgrained gold bezel and taper the width of the band to narrow down - the stone is 5 ct. so I wanted to keep the setting relatively simple. Thanks again for the help!
35.gif

581thumb.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 7:03:41 AM
Author: babysteps
Pricescopers are the best!
1.gif
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and thoughtful feedback on color . . . I have been swayed! While I think it would still look lovely if set in white, I played with it in the light today and it is definitely a warmer red vs. a cool/bluish red, so I think that I have made up my mind to do yellow gold. I''ve actually emailed Ann McKay to see if she would adapt the setting below for my cushion-y cut zircon - I would do a milgrained gold bezel and taper the width of the band to narrow down - the stone is 5 ct. so I wanted to keep the setting relatively simple. Thanks again for the help!
35.gif
Your stone would look amazing in that setting! Fingers crossed that it can be done.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I love bezels and that beautiful one from Ann McKay, I am concerned about the tone of the zircon. It looks to be a bit dark in your picture and I hope it won''t be too dark after being bezel set.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rose gold!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 7:24:59 PM
Author: Chrono
As much as I love bezels and that beautiful one from Ann McKay, I am concerned about the tone of the zircon. It looks to be a bit dark in your picture and I hope it won''t be too dark after being bezel set.
I agree.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono and TL - thank you for the cautionary thought, I wouldn't want it to darken too much, but was thinking that since it is a large stone with a lot of surface area, it would be OK w/ a bezel (it has a high crown/small table - here is a side pic) - I am a newbie at settings so that might be a completely irrational thought on my part!
37.gif
The setting I liked is too small for the stone and I would have to go custom w/ a similar motif, and I would ask for as thin a bezel as possible. Do you think it could work?

Harriet - I love rose gold
30.gif
but have it planned for an upcoming malaya project so decided to do yellow here. (am off to check if you have a tsav update
1.gif
)

Gailey - that is beautiful, probably a little contemporary for me but a great bezel setting!
ETA: ok, that photo was so small that it's useless, sorry!
38.gif

ZIR003st.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, a bezel would still darken the stone. The only way you can do a bezel is to have an open bezel aka collet set: one that only covers the girdle leaving the sides totally open. A darkish stone would need maximum light exposure and in a zircon, you won''t regret it. The dispersion would be wonderful.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yay about the yg! Lovely stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results