shape
carat
color
clarity

setting color for red zircon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
hi, I could use some help from the smart ladies and gents here - this is my new red zircon from Jeff White - I love it, it is very lively and rich (though tough to photograph!) - it is red w/ pink, no orange undertones - I am thinking white metal (probably plat.) rather than yellow gold - what do you think? thanks!
1.gif
ETA: just noticed there is some reflection in the upper part of the stone, but IRL no orange tones.

jwredzirc2.jpg

My knee-jerk reaction is platinum as well. Lovely stone!

Thanks Claritek! here is a (slightly blurry) one next to my band just for another view. Thanks for looking
1.gif

jwrz2.jpg

Jeff did a beautiful job on that stone! I think it would look lovely in plat as well :)

My vote would be for yellow gold. I love the look of red stones in yellow gold.

How about 2 tone? I think this stone would look so good with either YG or plat, so 2 tone gets my vote!
A YG bezel and plat shank, yum!
5.gif

Lovely stone btw
36.gif
- I''m digging these zircons lately - can someone tell me are they appropriate for "every other day" rings..?

I think this stone will look just as good in whichever metal you choose to go with. It all depends on what look and feel you''d like to achieve; modern (white), antique (rose/yellow), high contrast (white/yellow), low contrast (rose), simple (white/rose), more ornated (yellow) etc.

I agree you could go either way with that stone. It''s really beautiful.

this stone screams for yellow gold.

mz

Date: 3/12/2009 12:46:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
this stone screams for yellow gold.

mz

I agree, Yellow gold would be beautiful for that stone.
30.gif

In the picture, it looks like it''s red with orange undertones, which in that case, I would do yellow gold. However, if it''s truly red with pink undertones, I would do white gold.

I would also not set a zircon in platinum. Platinum is a very hard metal, and zircon is kind of soft. It might chip. I would use white gold instead if you want to do a white metal.

WOW! That stone is lovely. I love zircons. Not much of a help here about the color of gold, though.... I have a bit of a problem with that aspect!

Yellow would be my choice to bring out the rich colour.

I forgot to mention that it''s a lovely stone!!!

Your zircon looks really beautiful, I love the colour! From what I can see on my monitor, I think it would suit the warmer, yellow gold.

Pricescopers are the best!
1.gif
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and thoughtful feedback on color . . . I have been swayed! While I think it would still look lovely if set in white, I played with it in the light today and it is definitely a warmer red vs. a cool/bluish red, so I think that I have made up my mind to do yellow gold. I''ve actually emailed Ann McKay to see if she would adapt the setting below for my cushion-y cut zircon - I would do a milgrained gold bezel and taper the width of the band to narrow down - the stone is 5 ct. so I wanted to keep the setting relatively simple. Thanks again for the help!
35.gif

581thumb.jpg

Date: 3/13/2009 7:03:41 AM
Author: babysteps
Pricescopers are the best!
1.gif
Thank you everyone for the nice comments and thoughtful feedback on color . . . I have been swayed! While I think it would still look lovely if set in white, I played with it in the light today and it is definitely a warmer red vs. a cool/bluish red, so I think that I have made up my mind to do yellow gold. I''ve actually emailed Ann McKay to see if she would adapt the setting below for my cushion-y cut zircon - I would do a milgrained gold bezel and taper the width of the band to narrow down - the stone is 5 ct. so I wanted to keep the setting relatively simple. Thanks again for the help!
35.gif
Your stone would look amazing in that setting! Fingers crossed that it can be done.

As much as I love bezels and that beautiful one from Ann McKay, I am concerned about the tone of the zircon. It looks to be a bit dark in your picture and I hope it won''t be too dark after being bezel set.

Rose gold!

Date: 3/13/2009 7:24:59 PM
Author: Chrono
As much as I love bezels and that beautiful one from Ann McKay, I am concerned about the tone of the zircon. It looks to be a bit dark in your picture and I hope it won''t be too dark after being bezel set.
I agree.

Hi Chrono and TL - thank you for the cautionary thought, I wouldn't want it to darken too much, but was thinking that since it is a large stone with a lot of surface area, it would be OK w/ a bezel (it has a high crown/small table - here is a side pic) - I am a newbie at settings so that might be a completely irrational thought on my part!
37.gif
The setting I liked is too small for the stone and I would have to go custom w/ a similar motif, and I would ask for as thin a bezel as possible. Do you think it could work?

Harriet - I love rose gold
30.gif
but have it planned for an upcoming malaya project so decided to do yellow here. (am off to check if you have a tsav update
1.gif
)

Gailey - that is beautiful, probably a little contemporary for me but a great bezel setting!
ETA: ok, that photo was so small that it's useless, sorry!
38.gif

ZIR003st.jpg

No, a bezel would still darken the stone. The only way you can do a bezel is to have an open bezel aka collet set: one that only covers the girdle leaving the sides totally open. A darkish stone would need maximum light exposure and in a zircon, you won''t regret it. The dispersion would be wonderful.

Yay about the yg! Lovely stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics