shape
carat
color
clarity

setting and sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondbob

Rough_Rock
I'm almost done with the decision process, but two questions:
1. is $1300 in the ballpark for a custom made, quality setting for a boston setting engagement ring?
2. is $950 the right ball park for two round saphires rated at fine/gem quality at tcw of .86?
thanks

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonbob,Leonid sent me an e-mail and asked me to help with this question.RE: I'm almost done with the decision process, but two questions:1. is $1300 in the ballpark for a custom made, quality setting for a boston setting engagement ring? 2. is $950 the right ball park for two round saphires rated at fine/gem quality at tcw of .86?I am not sure what a Boston Setting is, so I can only ask. Is the setting to be in platinum or gold. For a gold setting the price seems slightly high, but may well be a very good price in platinum.For the sapphires, it seems high for fine quality, but for gem it could be low.How's that for wishy washy???That is the problem with being asked to help in a vacuum. I have not seen the goods and am not familiar with the term Boston
setting. If it is a complex piece, the price may indeed be good, even in gold, especially if the piece is 18kt gold. As you know
from DT, I am extremely concious of cut, especially in colored stones. If the stones are a rich saturated color with good cut,
then $950 may be a "steal deal". If they are too dark and "inky" then the price is too high.With a diamond, you can look at the cert and shop around, With color it is MUCH more difficult. Each vendor will have his/her
opinion as to the value of the color and cut. There are NO standards against which you, the end user, can judge. You must look at the stones and decide for yourself, "Compared to everything else I have seen, are these worth what the vendor is asking."There is no easy answere for those of us who have not seen the goods to give you. You must look at the goods, compare with what you can find elsewhere and trust your instincts.
I wish you well, it sounds as if you are getting close to having a beautiful ring
made. In the end, it may well be worth it even if you pay a few dollars more than you MIGHT have gotten the ring for elsewhere.
If you are working with someone you trust, the extra dollars, if any, may be well worth it for your piece of mind.Respectfully submittedWink Jones------------------
Wink Jones
Winfield's
www.diamondsandgems.com
1 800524-7904

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results