shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Advise Needed

bluebell

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I went to look at rings at Jared. I had no intention of buying a ring from Jared but I wanted to look at their Peerless stones to see what size/color/clarity combo I liked and then my BF will purchase from a PS vendor. FYI Jared’s Peerless stones at .75 carat is running $1200 to $1600 more than an AGS000 online. Anyway, we ended up finding a setting I love. It’s a Scott Kay cushion shaped halo and the price is actually less than what I could get online.

My questions are, has anyone bought a Scott Kay style setting from Jared? Has anyone had Jared set one of your PS vendor stones? If so, how was the process? What about insurance, did you just insure the whole ring through your own policy and not get Jareds?

I’m looking for advice since I never thought I would consider buying a setting from Jareds.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't bought a setting from Jared's but there are a few pricescoper's who have. I would only let Scott Kay set the stone, not jared's. They should send it to Scott Kay for you. Most folks just use their own insurance, either a scheduled rider with a home owners policy or Jewelers Mutual or the like. I would suggest you contact Pearlmans for a quote though. They carry Scott Kay and will do a price match or offer a pricescope discount. Pearlmans will also cover the stone while it's being set at Scott Kay, but double check and make sure their policy's haven't changed.

bluebell

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replay mrssalvo. I will probably check with Pearlman's to see if they could get the setting. I found the setting on Jared's website and found out it's 14k gold, thus the more affordable price.
http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/scott-kay-settings/ring/item_60-6123.asp

I had originally thought I would get something custom from BGD or Whiteflash, since I've purchased from BGD in the past. Does anyone think they could create this setting for a similar price? I think we would be willing to go up some to get 18K gold but not much over $2k. Thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure BGD or WF could make something similar. Not sure how much better you'd do on price though b/c in some cases custom can be more expensive than just buying the original from the designer. BGD and WF will have to make a cad/wax etc. from scratch which ends up factoring into the cost. It certainly doesn't hurt to email for quotes though. With metal prices changing daily it's hard to even guess where the quote would come in and whether it would be under 2K.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I have always had excellent experiences with Jared. They have set numerous stones for me without issue and always honor their warranty. I take my white gold pieces to be dipped frequently and the warranty pay for itself in that way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results