shape
carat
color
clarity

setting advice and ideas (please help!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antonio

Rough_Rock
I am a newbie looking for a setting for a 1.3-1.5 c princess cut diamond. I found a Simon G band that I liked in local store and was told that they could attach prongs for a center diamond. Are there any potential problems that anyone can see with this idea? Anything I should keep in mind or ask the jeweler before I commit to this idea? And lastly, how do you guys/gals think this will look?

I have been reading through many posts on this forum and it seems there are people with a lot more expierence and knowledge than me. I would greatly appreciate any comments/opinons/advice

0120616_lg.jpg

antonio

Rough_Rock
please...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2005 10
6.gif
5:30 PM
Author:antonio
I am a newbie looking for a setting for a 1.3-1.5 c princess cut diamond. I found a Simon G band that I liked in local store and was told that they could attach prongs for a center diamond. Are there any potential problems that anyone can see with this idea? Anything I should keep in mind or ask the jeweler before I commit to this idea? And lastly, how do you guys/gals think this will look?

I have been reading through many posts on this forum and it seems there are people with a lot more expierence and knowledge than me. I would greatly appreciate any comments/opinons/advice
Hi Antonio:
35.gif

I would seriously consider having the ring custom made to the spec's of the band you showed with whatever style prongs you might fancy.

I know you stated your jeweler can attach prongs, but I think the ring will flow better if you have it built from scratch and the integrity of the ring will be stonger in the sense that the fabrication of the prongs on a custom piece will be part of the originally cast band.

A good bench jeweler will not have a problem attaching prongs and adding a head to the existing band. Overall strength of originally manufacturing a ring with prongs will pose less durability problems than adding them after as you suggest.

Price might also be a factor. Compare what the original band is costing than add the cost of the modification and look at what this piece might cost you custom from scratch and decide what is best in helping you make a decision. A custom piece might be a bit more, but your options are also limitless.
35.gif

I hope this Helps and I like the style of the band you posted...
35.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Antonio,

I have to agree with Mr. Nut, radical retrofitting like you describe isn't usually all that difficult but it often comes out badly. Simon G. makes a pretty deep line. Don't they make a ring similar to the one you've pictured that accepts a center stone? If so, your jeweler can probably order it in for you. I think it would be worth the wait.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

antonio

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help.

I will have to look into the cost of a custom fabrication. I will also have to check if Simon G makes the ring already (this would be the easiest option if they do). I really like the band but fear that a custom fabrication could be another pain. But I think you guys might be right about the adding the prongs and having them not look integrated into the ring. I just assumed that the jewler would somehow make it look more integrated by cutting out a small area for the prongs and then setting them in and building a little metal around it. From the way you describe it sounds he will just stick it on top.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Antonio,

I found this engagement ring on Simon G''s website, it is similar. I will post the other one that I think goes with the band above.

LP1097.jpg

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the one that I think actually is the band you posted above. Simon G makes some very pretty settings! Good luck in your search!
9.gif

LP1355_LP1712.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results