shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a new stone

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have a yummy pear that is being given to me. Calibrated 10x7. I looked online to see about a setting for it. I found a solitaire pear 10x7 mount that is perfect. How do I get the booger set? I have a stone and I have a ring. How do I get the stone in the ring?

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Do you mean who will set it? Do you have a local jeweler who can set the stone for you?

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I wasnt sure if you could walk in and say "See this stone, see this setting? Can you put this stone in this setting for me please?"

I am finishing up my custom ring and I know how to go about that, but I thought if it is a simple solitaire why pay custom prices KWIM?

How much would I be charged? It is a pear shaped pink kunzite calibrated. I would think that shouldnt be too hard. I dont have a jeweler that I use.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You just need to find a compentent bench person who feels comfortable with setting gemstones. i would stay away from any chain mall stores as they dont' have an inhouse bench person. They can charge you anywhere from $35-85. I think most people pay around $50.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Step one is to find a local jeweler with an on-site bench person who sets stones, preferably with plenty of experience with colored and softer stones than diamonds. Ask around or call around and ask. I found a good jeweler by asking the girl who does my nails...her grandma had good jewelry and her customers also use the same place. I have another jeweler I like...they also have a bench person, but they don't have as much experience as the other one.

Laura

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I honestly didnt think it would be that easy. Like I said I dont really have a jeweler and dont know anyone that has experience with it. I do pass through some nice areas. I will ask them. I am guessing that it would be a good idea to take a look at some of the things they have done before I had over my goods right?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Basically, yes, but the best people to ask are their customers, in my opinion...at least to find them in your area. Look around at work or places you frequent and see who has nice jewelry...particularly colored stones and see who they go to. "Hey, that's a really pretty ring...I've been looking for a good jeweler...know any in the area?" Another thing to look for is the good old yellowpages ads...look for "goldsmith" or "custom jewelry" or if they mention specializing in colored stones. Local web search and web pages too. My local favorite doesn't have much of a web page though and is really a tiny place.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I found one of the best jewelers through Fred Meyer! They have a jewelry department, and I once spoke to a salesman who used to be a cutter in the 90-es. He mentioned a guy who would come to them once a week to size rings and said that the jeweler was very good. He was. So sometimes big stores that do not specialize in jewelry could be a good source of info. Fred Meyer is something special, because they do have a jewelry section which is separated from the rest of the store. It is not upscale, but not Target either, hence they know inexpensive but decent jewelers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a good time to find a local benchperson you can trust and use for all your jewellery needs (polishing, resizing, setting, repair, etc). Do NOT go to a chain/mall type store and look for a place that has a benchperson onsite. The second step is to make sure this person has experience with gemstones other than diamonds and sapphires, and is comfortable with setting softer stones like garnets and tourmalines. Look around at their display cases to see the workmanship of custom pieces that he or she has completed to get a feel of their level of detail, finish and etc.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Not sure where in the world you are but there were a few jewelers mentioned in this thread in various places around the US.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results