shape
carat
color
clarity

Setters and Lab Stones

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I know most of the setters, who will set stones they do not source, usually do moissys but is there anyone who won't work on lab gemstones? Not that I can afford to go crazy, but if I buy a well cut lab stone I would want a setting that compliments it. Got me curious. I did hear from one local jeweler that they don't work on lab stones (I would LOVE to take in some of Gene's work and see if they can tell the difference).

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would check out more local jewellers. I know of 3 near me at least. Maybe 4 who will absolutely set my lab spinel should I choose to use them. I will probably only use the one who made my engagement ring though because even though the prongs aren't PS perfect it has been a mini tank and I totally need that in my jewellery and it looks nice otherwise.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Meow. Is there anyone on PS setters list who flat out won't set lab stones? I just don't want to embarrass myself.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Meow. Is there anyone on PS setters list who flat out won't set lab stones? I just don't want to embarrass myself.

I don't really know because I usually stick to my 1 or 2 preferred local jewellers instead of using PS approved people. Just my preference.

I know Brian Gavin's team seemed willing to do it when I felt them out sometime last year. But I decided to wait and ended up having a local place do it because I did not feel like mailing my stuff out and trusting the mail with it since it was a custom cut lab spinel that i couldn't just go out and replace if it got lost. If you end up using them know they will want your stone to be insured before they will touch it.

David Klass would do it for you also I think. I just know he tends to be very busy and doesn't have the greatest communication. But he does beautiful work. I've heard sometimes it's better to ring him than email.

Try those two out and get a quote. But seriously. Don't let one snobby jeweller throw you off a local place. There are gems. You just have to find them. I went through several jewellers before I found the one who made my ring. My husband thought I was crazy walking out and vetoing every place until we walked into the last one and I was finally happy with what I found. Next time I have them do a setting we are going to work on that prong technique for sure lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results