shape
carat
color
clarity

Setter chipped my stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to switch my square step cut sapphire from one setting to another.

When the setter was taking out the stone, he called me over to look at a chip that he saw on one of the points. The chip was under one of the prongs. The stone was not chipped when I purchased it, so I would assume that the original setter chipped it and did not tell the jeweler. This was a very good quality stone....not anymore.

Anyway, I brought the stone back to the jeweler that I purchased it from and she would not take any responsibility for it b/c I did not bring it to her to be switched. She believes that the new setter chipped the stone. However, if I had given it to her to be switched, she probably would have never told me that it was chipped anyway.

What are my options now?

Can the corner be polished smooth? Can all the corners be polished into an emerald cut look?

If I do put it back in a setting, will the stone be secure?

Is chipping of a corner a common occurence with square cut stones?

Any info would be great.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You have several options on re-cutting. It would be hard to get into any detail not knowing how badly it is chipped or exactly where.

Most people (even jewelers) do not know this. Many princess are set without chipping the corner to find out later the corner is chipped.

How did this happen??

If not properly set and the point of the stone is up against the metal prong it can be chipped in the course of normal wear. There should be a small cavity for the corner of the diamond to sit in, and the point should not touch the prong. The prong should touch just either side of the point.

I have an article somewhere on this I can fax you if you like. Just give me time to find it :)

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
This happened when the setter opened up the prong to switch the stone to the new setting. He discovered that the stone was chipped underneath, so the person who set it the first time covered up his mistake with a prong.

The stone was set in those v-prongs that wrap around each corner of the stone. I think it is called a chevron.

The chip is right on one of the points. It looks like a little piece, shaped like a v, was chipped of.

The sapphire is only 1.35 ct weight, so if I re-cut it won't it look like nothing?

Also, how much has the stone depreciated b/c of the damange?
It cost me $800.
It was comparative to a VS diamond. Now I guess it is and Imperfect.

How can it be recut and how much will this cost me?

The new setter said that it could be hidden under a prong.
Will this cause the stone to be loose in the setting or break even more?

He also said that it could be buffed, but then it would not be perfectly square.

I'm at a loss and very annoyed that the first jeweler fooled me.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sorry but with out being able to see it everything is a guess. From what I've read it may could be polished, have an extra applied to the corner. Then you may not see a change in size at all and it will clean up the corner. This may be an option but someone is going to have to see it.

Recutting cost vary by who you use. I would think that you could get this done for under $100 including shipping both ways (to a cutter and back).

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to let you know that the setter reset the sapphire and he was able to hide the chip under a prong.

Do you think the sapphire is now too weak to wear??? He said that I should not worry about it. Will it chip or crack further???

Did it chip b/c it was a poor quality stone (I was told that it is comparable to a VS diamond) or can this happen to any stone?

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
The stone did not hold up in the setting. It came loose w/i a week. I am lucky that I did not lose it. Now, they are re-cutting the stone. This has cost me more $ than it should have b/c no one wants to own up to the mistake. I hope that this will be the last of it and that I can finally wear it.

Also, I just had 8 wide baguettes set in a white gold wedding band. How much should this have cost???

P.S. Jewelry is an expensive habit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results