shape
carat
color
clarity

Setings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ghotaling

Rough_Rock
OK,

What is the deal. I was told today buy a jewerly store person that platnum heads are not as durable/strong as gold. What is the most durable/strong head to set a diamond in. I was thinking of having my fiance''s ring reset because we cant seem to find a wedding band that goes with the current setting. It is a "Leo" diamond (I probably got hosed cause I didn''t know that much about diamonds at the time) with a gold "shank"(?) and platnum head. The ring looks pretty good all on it''s own. Thoughts/opinions?

Dumbguy

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I was told today by a jewelry store person that platinum heads are not as durable/strong as gold. What is the most
durable/strong head to set a diamond in?
-----------

The advantage that platinum has over white gold is that it will "give" upon being stressed, while white gold will often "break" upon being stressed. White gold is more brittle than platinum. Compounding this is the small percentage of defective castings encountered with white gold heads.

A platinum head will cost a jeweler four or five times as much as a platinum one. In an effort to keep prices low for consumers, they will often choose white gold over platinum. Myself, I would rather pay the extra money for the platinum and peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results