shape
carat
color
clarity

Serc's Final List of Princess Cut Stones with ASET Images

serc

Rough_Rock
Hi Yssie, Chel, Tristan, Jstarfireb and all others who are reading this post. My apalogies in advance for the long post! For some reason, Pricescope does not allow me to embed pictures hosted by tinypic.

I received asset images from James Allen and they recommend only one stone out of three I had selected earlier. This is what they said about the following stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1413535.asp

"I'm happy to say that our gemologist has determined that diamond 1413535 has very nice light performance and is the brightest of your selections. As you would expect, this diamond is perfectly eye clean and is icy white in color. It has a extremely small plotted chip that will not be visible to the unaided and poses no durability concern. The gemologist noted that it will be completely prongable"

This stone was quoted at 9.2K. I do not think I will go with this one.

1413535aset.jpg

1413535aset_bmp.jpg

serc

Rough_Rock
Re: Serc's Final List of Princess Cut Stones with ASET Image

Last picture for Stone 1

GOG Clarity5.jpg

serc

Rough_Rock

Overall, I think I like GOG one (stone 1) but should I be concerned about the clarity pictures? . I also like WF I color one ( Stone 3, due to its price point) but also concerned about its color being I. Since these two stones are not from the same vendor, I dont think I can compare them side by side. Please let me know which one you would pick (especially between stone 1 and stone 3) if you had to!!! Can you tell whether Stone 1 warrants 1.2K increase in price over Stone 3?

Thanks a lot. Here is the setting I have in mind, http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER6116W44JJ

Do you think this design will overpower the center stone? Thanks so much for your patience and time!!!!

:Up_to_something:

Regards,
Serc

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I love solasferas but that whiteflash stone looks very similar to one because it has a small table. They are both very nice.
Do you know if you are color sensitive? (or your GF?) For me, I would probably go with the WF "I" because I think I would
be fine with the color but I know that I'm not that color sensitive.

I do think that setting would over-power the center stone. There is just too much going on. I think one of these would
be a nice compliment to the stone without overwhelming it...

http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7526W44JJ
http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7527W44JJ
http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7277W44JJ
http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7279W44JJ
http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7262W44JJ

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any of those would be *beautiful* choices, truly.

It comes down to personal preference. The larger vs. smaller table is a different look, some prefer one and some prefer the other, but neither is objectively "better" than the other.

The smaller table, higher crown, and larger/fewer chevrons will permit more coloured light return in certain types of lights. The first WF is what I personally consider a more "traditional" princess look - busier, with lots of quick, sharp twinkles - more glitz and glitter and less big bold flash. I personally also prefer the smaller table.

The point here though is that any would be a fantastic choice - the differences are there, but they're small, maybe not even visible to some, so you could pick any and walk away knowing you have a nice stone...

So, for me, like I said in your other thread the Solasfera is beautiful but I just can't stomach the brand premium - especially if you don't *know* that *you* like that smaller table higher crown look better. So I'd pick one of the two WFs (better policies than JA, and I like the stones better). Colour is another personal thing - go with the H if you know she wants as colourless as possible and good eye for colour, but I can guarantee that an I princess of this size won't look "yellow" or "dingy" or anything like that if that's your concern.. just less icy than an F/G.

Ditto tyty - unless you know your GF likes a very busy look I wouldn't choose that setting to surprise her with, I do think the centerstone will get a bit lost in all the detail!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1325127919|3090523 said:
Any of those would be *beautiful* choices, truly.

It comes down to personal preference.

HI:

This.

But as I am new to this thread, the response begs the question as to how many PC's the OP might have seen IRL? Cuts--fancy cuts--or anything outside of a round really are subject to "preference" (and that even qualifies for discussion....but...but) What I "like" in terms of dimension might not suit your fancy at all. I don't own a Princess--but have a radiant (chevron type, modified/cut corners) and an asscher (modifed square emerald cut ohforgoodnesssakes the typingand typo's!)--and have also owned many RB's so "I" know what "I" like. Or would "prefer".

That said, what is your option for looking at stones IRL and coming back to respond in terms of what "you" might like"? Or ordering two stones that are close to what have been suggested in terms of desirability and deciding amongst them?

cheers--Sharon

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the shout-out!

The JA one is better than many princesses on the market, but I agree that you can do better for the money.

As for the others, what I mentioned in your other thread still holds...the WF I color and the Solasfera are cut in a similar way to each other, whereas the WF 1.296 is a very different look. All of them have great light performance. If it were me, I'd get the Whiteflash I color diamond, but I may be a little biased because I'm not very color-sensitive and I have an I color princess, and I also don't like paying a premium for the Solasfera name. I think getting an I color stone saved me a lot of cash, because an H of the same cut/size/clarity was a lot more expensive. Remember that the fluorescence should help it appear whiter, and I just love the ethereal bluish glow that a fluorescent diamond can give off in direct sunlight.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I want to mention that I have become a little more color-sensitive over the years and am considering upgrading to a higher color. YMMV. Remember that I also said I can't see the color compared to an F or G, though. I'm just going through a phase in my life where a lot of my friends are getting engaged, and their diamonds are E-G color, so I'm just feeling jealous. :tongue:

Anyway, since 2 of your 3 choices are at WF, can you ask them to shoot them side by side and also give you their impressions of the color? I color is actually quite a wide range compared to the other color grades, and it may be a very high I (almost H) or a very low I (almost J). It would certainly be worth asking WF which side it leans toward. At the very least, get some still photos. I don't think WF shoots videos, but it would be worth asking for one if they do.

serc

Rough_Rock

Tyty,

Thanks for your comments and the settings you recommended. You were very helpful indeed. I am not really sure if she is color sensitive. I am in talks with WF and asked them to put these two stones side by side and send a picture to me. I will also ask for their view on both stones (I am already in touch with Liza and Debi). I think I am leaning more towards I color (although H color is at same price point). As for the settings, I will do more research and let you all know when I narrow my options down to 2-3 styles.

Yssie,

Thanks for making me feel a lot better about my options. I think I will go with one of WF stones in the end, thanks to you and others who enlightened me with your knowledge. As I stated above, I am not sure how sensitive my GF will be to color so that is gonna be the decision that I will need to make.

Sharon,

I did not see many princess cut diamonds in real life, therefore, anything I learn here and people like yssie, tyty and jstarfireb's opinions are very important to me. I can go and look at stones in real life. I'll consider that for sure.

Jstarfireb,

Thanks again for your response. I will keep your experience with colours in mind when I make my final decision. I will need to hear what WF experts say about light performance of H and I stones as I mentioned earlier the white area in the center of H stone (Ideal Scope image) stood out to me but Liza from WF said it would not be an issue, Debi from WF stated that she would go for a better color so a lot of things to consider before I pull the trigger. I already asked Debi to provide me with a side by side picture of these two stones so I will update you and the others as soon as I hear from them.

Thank you all for your comments. I feel lucky to have people like you to consult with. :appl: :D

Regards,

Serc

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Getting WF's opinion on the two and some pics will definitely help, I'm sure. Let us know what they say!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

For what it's worth, I just noticed a few more diamonds on WF's website that are I color and 1.2ish ct. Either I was blind and missed them or they weren't there before. They are ACAs and the one you're looking into is expert selection, and they're all around the same price. Most of them are cut similarly to the one I showed you. However, I think I would still stick with that one over the other I color stones because of the beneficial effect of the medium fluorescence.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Oh no! Timezones!

Haha, slow to the party. Yep, like everyone said, skip the JA stone. It just plain isn't worth the money with the light performance it has.

I'm personally most inclined towards the Solasfera, but that is due to the fact that I actually like the smaller table. Frankly I would have ranked it as

1. GOG solasfera
2. Whiteflash I ACA
3. Whiteflash expert selection

I would have a heavy bias towards the solasfera, due to the generous policies there (if upgraditis settles in), but I do agree that the whiteflash I VVS2 would be a very very close second at a better price point.

Congrats on narrowing it down to your top three stones!

On the setting front, I also feel that the style you have selected is a very personal preference. If you know that your SO would like the look for sure, then it is a safe bet. Otherwise, it is quite a 'busy' look.

If you DO go the route of the Whiteflash I stone at 7K... and your original budget was 11K... you MAY want to give Victor Canera a call and see if he can work some magic for you. :))

Everything I've seen that man produce from his bench has been magic. It WILL cost around 4K I believe for a platinum halo (provided prices haven't gone up further due to cost of materials), but you're not going to get it set better elsewhere. He also does some of that scrollwork and handwork that you seemed to like on the original choice - you can ask him how much embellishment he thinks you can do whilst still keeping the ring clean.

Some of his work: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/

Just an option :)) Obviously you don't have to spend 11k. Heh.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I think you have your stones narrowed down to a good list. Here are my thoughts on them... I wouldn't consider the JA stone as its just too expensive compared to the other options. I still love the GOG Solasfera but I would buy the
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2696804.htm
if it was my money as at 1k less, its better value. You have three great performing princess' that are the same size and similar clarity/color so its all down to price. I really wouldn't worry about the 'I' color as 'I' is still white and I don't think one color grade is worth 1k. I'd use the money saved from the diamond and put it towards the setting. Your GF will notice the setting much more than she would the 1 or 2 color grades.

For your budget you can you can afford some higher quality setting so would look elsewhere. Does your GF specifically like vintage/antique looking things? If not you would do better with a more classical design. Your original setting suggestion is very busy looking imho.....

If you decide to go with a WF stone here is a split shank halo setting from their range
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/diamond-braid-diamond-engagement-ring-121.htm
but there are tons of high quality settings available to you if you can decide what style/budget you definitely want to go for, for example http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/split-halo-18k-white-gold-5444w18..

serc

Rough_Rock

This thread would not be complete without Tristan and Chel! I am super glad that you were able to comment. I think I am leaning towards that I color VVS2 now after getting everyone's input. I will pull the trigger once I receive WF's review of H and I color stones and side by side pictures.

As for the setting, Here is pictures of one of two rings my GF have bought within the last year so that you get an idea of her style a bit.

http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/suite.aspx?itemid=-20PC&folderid=/women/rings#

(in amethyst)

http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/suite.aspx?itemid=-2WLU&folderid=/women/rings#

(in Prasiolite)

Chel, I believe she likes that vintage/victorian character very much. My main goal is that the center stone stands out and does not get lost among all the details of the setting itself. When you say look elsewhere, have you had any issues with Gabriel Co.? or you are just saying that I can get a better quality setting at the same price point (3K I am thinking is my max)?

Tristan. Victor Canera's work look stunning but I am afraid it might be too expensive for me. Same as Brian Gavin :(. I will see if I can stretch my budget a bit more.

Thank you all again and if I forgot to respond to any of your questions, I am sorry :)

Regards,

:D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

serc|1325165315|3090690 said:
This thread would not be complete without Tristan and Chel! I am super glad that you were able to comment. I think I am leaning towards that I color VVS2 now after getting everyone's input. I will pull the trigger once I receive WF's review of H and I color stones and side by side pictures.

As for the setting, Here is pictures of one of two rings my GF have bought within the last year so that you get an idea of her style a bit.

http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/suite.aspx?itemid=-20PC&folderid=/women/rings#

(in amethyst)

http://www.davidyurman.com/shoponline/suite.aspx?itemid=-2WLU&folderid=/women/rings#

(in Prasiolite)

Chel, I believe she likes that vintage/victorian character very much. My main goal is that the center stone stands out and does not get lost among all the details of the setting itself. When you say look elsewhere, have you had any issues with Gabriel Co.? or you are just saying that I can get a better quality setting at the same price point (3K I am thinking is my max)?

Tristan. Victor Canera's work look stunning but I am afraid it might be too expensive for me. Same as Brian Gavin :(. I will see if I can stretch my budget a bit more.

Thank you all again and if I forgot to respond to any of your questions, I am sorry :)

Regards,

:D

I would not base your (quite pricey!) setting decision on her previous ring choices - none of them were engagement rings, after all! Sometimes women want something quite different/unexpected. It's not a matter of knowing her style so much as knowing what she would like best for this one specific very important piece, and the two don't always correlate... can you have a sister/friend/mother do some poking around to find out what she's thinking?

This is assuming you haven't asked her outright, or something like that - if you have of course disregard my hesitation!

I should think a halo is well within BGD/WF budget - not Canera though.

serc

Rough_Rock

Yssie,

I certainly understand what you are saying. It opened my eyes and will look for different settings. It will be a surprise so I cannot ask her outright but I already asked one of her relatives to find out what she likes. I will keep you posted.

Serc

serc

Rough_Rock

One more thing about that I color stone. IT says its girdle is thin, should that be a concern? I will talk to Liza today but your input would is also welcome. Thanks!

Serc

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Good idea to wait for the side by side photo to make a final decision. With any of those three stone I think you have a winner. A thin girdle is not unusual with a Princess and I wouldn't be worried about its durability based on just that.

...and with such a winner it would be a shame to drown it out with an over fussy setting. For 3k you can find a beautiful setting. I agree with the previous post about needed more info on your gf. For example
1-Does she like silver colored jewelry or yellow colored?
2-Is most of her jewelry considered bold, statement pieces or does she prefer neat and go with anything pieces?
3-What's her lifestyle like? (She is unlikely to want a high set intricate design if she works with her hands all day as it would get ruined quickly, likewise if she spends all day in designer heels and big diamond earrings she probably isn't going to want a simple plain solitaire)
4-Does she like antique jewelry or prefer cleaner, modern styles?

What did you think of the WF setting I suggested? They would probably add milgraining to it for free (this is a braiding effect on the edges of settings which give and antique look)

As for G&Co settings I'm undecided. I've seen some lovely ones and some dubious ones. Please not that I've never bought one myself. Lets see what other Psers with more experience with G&Co settings think?

serc

Rough_Rock

Chel,

1-Does she like silver colored jewelry or yellow colored? - She likes silver colored jewelery more, hates yellow gold
2-Is most of her jewelry considered bold, statement pieces or does she prefer neat and go with anything pieces? she prefers neat and go with anything pieces, she likes fancy and elegant things but she is not like "show off" to your face type person
3-What's her lifestyle like? (She is unlikely to want a high set intricate design if she works with her hands all day as it would get ruined quickly, likewise if she spends all day in designer heels and big diamond earrings she probably isn't going to want a simple plain solitaire) - She dresses to impress on weekdays when she will be in the office, and certainly on the weekends. She is a geotechnical engineer and mostly in the office,but sometimes she does some soil sampling. My gut feeling (we have been together almost 4 years) is that she would not like a simple solitaire
4-Does she like antique jewelry or prefer cleaner, modern styles? - This is a tough one! She loves vintage dresses, rings , earrings etc. so I'd say antique/vintage would be her style

What did you think of the WF setting I suggested? I must say I like it overall, I am just not sure about criss cross style of it

I will certainly wait for others to chime in about quality of Gabriel and Co. settings and their customer service. Thanks!!!!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

I agree that you should not try to match her recent purchases in terms of style for the E-ring, although it does seem that a halo or modern vintage style would not go amiss from the two purchases and the answers to the questions.

Victor Canera charges around 4.5K for a halo in platinum (not sure what he charges for white gold or if he works with white gold), so with 7.1k and that it brings you just over your stretch budget of 11K by around $600.

Well, a bit more given that you would need to ship the stone around etc etc.

BUT if you take a look at the threads on examples of his work, I have not found a single person to have a response beyond OMFG its lovely.

WF does have a lot of lovely styles that you could comfortably choose within your budget which are gorgeous. Victor is just a class act that's all.

Perhaps you can just shoot him an email and ask his opinion? He is uber friendly and super quick to respond to emails. Still waiting for the time to come when I can give him my business, but meanwhile, his customer service and the results of his work constantly reinforces to me why I would save up for a setting from him if need be. I actually started this suggestion more along the lines of adding something in that you might not have considered. Because ultimately, modern vintage, handwork, halo/pave, scrollwork are VC's trademarks.

I'm not actually trying to make you spend more. Please do make the best choice for yourself!! And congrats once again

serc

Rough_Rock

Tristan,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I already e-mailed Victor about two potential settings and asked for cost estimates. Fingers crossed! I did some reading on Victor's previous work and like you stated all reviews were beyond positive. I watched videos of some of his work, they look stunning. These are the two that I am interested in (I saw real pictures on pricescope, as well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2_RMKirBE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xWp6JoYfeE

Thanks!

PS: Still awaiting a response from Liza about the center stones.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

those two VC rings are fab but they are completely different! Might be worth narrowing down styles before going for quotes.

I'm not sure I would pick the first halo setting for a princess, a bit fussy and doesn't imho highlight the beauty of the centre stone.
The second video of the cathadral solitaire is much more promising. Elegant and vintagey but something that will go with anything and stay timeless.

Something to bare in mind> Princesses need protection in the corners as if they are hit just right they can crack. So if you want to set it in a solitaire it needs little V shaped prongs that fit on the corners like you would photos in a scrapbook (for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoBmx0EWk4). This will make the ring look quite different. I would check out some setting made specifically for princess cuts to be sure you like this. When setting a princess in a halo you can be more flexible with the prongs ( you can have traditional claws) as they only need hold the stone in place as the halo does the protecting.

serc

Rough_Rock

Chel,

Okay... I will save everyone sometime and narrow down my choices. I, too, like the second one more. I think that is the style she would like. I am curiously waiting to hear from her relatives about her "preferred" style for the setting. I hope I am on the right track :confused: :confused:

serc

Rough_Rock

Okay people. Here is Liza's review on I and H color stones. She will send me the side by side pictures soon and I will post them here as well. I also asked her about the thin girdle and whether it would cause any problems when mounting the stone. I am awaiting her response. I think I am leaning more and more towards the I color stone as it has a quite small table which I've read is rare to find in princess cuts. Here is Liza's e-mail.

I took a look at the two diamonds, and there were a few things that came to mind. First, overall, these two diamonds are quite similar. I don't think that the average person will be able to tell the difference. Face up, they are quite similar in size. Also, face up, there is no real apparent difference in color. The human eye can't really tell the difference between one color grade face up. From a clarity perspective, both stones are completely eye clean. And, both have very nice performance and light return.

Having said that, there are subtle differences between these two stones. First, the I color diamond has medium blue fluorescence. This is not a good thing or a bad thing, just an identifying characteristic. But, some people prefer fluorescence (or not) so it's something I wanted to point out. Also, the I color diamond has a smaller table, which I personally prefer. Smaller tables offer more fire (colored flashes of light) as opposed to larger tables which offer more white brilliance. It's totally a personal preference, but it's something I picked up on.

Both of these diamonds are really beautiful, and you can't go wrong with either one! I think at this point, the trick is to go with the diamond that you like best, that speaks to you. If the I color makes you nervous, and it's not something you can get past, that's OK! The H color diamond is beautiful too. :) We all have a personal checklist of things that make us most comfortable. Listen to your gut, is my advice.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

A thin girdle should be fine. Thin to medium or slightly thick is ideal, but as long as it's not very or extremely thin, you should be fine.

Regarding color, you may find this video from GOG helpful:
http://vimeo.com/1853800

I was very surprised to see how subtle the color differences were, so that's why I went with the I color to save myself some money.

serc

Rough_Rock

Thanks Jstar! The video was very hepful! I feel better about the thin girdle now.

Regards,

Serc

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Not that I'm sharing from my own personal experience, but from all the posts I've read, basically thin girdles are OK. People do tend to warn you away from very thins.

As for the quotes, I'm sure VC will be able to honestly tell you what are the options at the cost points.

I'm glad that the choices came back to whichever Princess you prefer! Personally, i love fluorescence in diamonds... I know some don't. I would always always prefer a coloured diamond with fluor over one that didn't have any any day of the week. But of course, that's just me.

You can ask WF if the fluor affects the look of the diamond in daylight/office light. I would imagine no.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Honestly, they all look like amazing stones, you'll have a beauty with either but for the money I'd still go with the I from WF.I like the small table and a quite like florescence in a diamond- they make it that much more unique. But Luanne is right- go with you gut. I bet 99% of the normal, non-PS population couldn't tell the difference between the three stones.

I might be worth asking WF is they have made any halo, split shank settings for other customers, their online selection is usually the tip of the iceberg. And you would probably get a good deal if you got your setting and diamond from the same place.

x

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results