shape
carat
color
clarity

September 6, 2019

Which BE Halo Setting is best for 1.80 oval diamond and 5.5 ring size?

• Luxe Sienna

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Waverly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vienna

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
Hi. Would love to get some advice here. I'm trying to decide between three different halo settings at Brilliant Earth. My girl's ring size is a 5.5 and the diamond I'm purchasing is: 1.79 carat, oval, ideal cut, D color, VS1

BE Luxe Sienna Halo Ring
https://www.brilliantearth.com/Luxe...ing-(3/4-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1D460-3958243/

BE Wavery Ring
https://www.brilliantearth.com/Waverly-Diamond-Ring-(1/2-ct.-tw.)-White-Gold-BE1D64-3957961/

Vienna Diamond Ring
https://www.brilliantearth.com/Vienna-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE1D2111-3958098/

My concerns are:

1. Is the Luxe Sienna too wide given center diamond size?
2. Is the Waverly too narrow given ring size?
3. Do the Luxe Sienna & Waverly overshadow the center diamond?
4. Is the Vienna too simple or too lacking on the band?

Thanks in advance for any insight or recommendations you have.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know they all look similar but there are some key differences:
  • Luxe Sienna = 2.3mm width, pave band, double claw prongs & cathedral style head
  • Waverly = 1.4mm width, pave band, single claw prongs & peg style head
  • Vienna = 1.5mm width, plain metal band, single claw prongs & peg style head
Width is just one consideration. Have you actually viewed some bands in real life? I ask because it's my belief the blown up views are very exaggerated, meaning 2.3 doesn't look overly big like it is portrayed. The 1.4 and 1.5 will be very thin.

I'm a little concerned with the structural integrity of the 1.4 and 1.5 widths. There are ways to combat this such as hand forged vs cast and making the metal thicker. But you'd need to speak with BE and confirm some of these details. I designed a custom e-ring for my wife, and then later did a custom matching wedding band. She has lots of pave in her setting, and it was done in 14k white gold/palladium alloy. The thinnest they recommended making the wedding band was 1.8 and only because it was being soldered to the e-ring so it'd have extra structural integrity.

Additionally I just do not find that peg head style attractive at all. It just doesn't look secure to me, as in a single point that takes very little shear force and you have a lost center stone. But I understand this is also a personal preference, and one you need to know if your girl likes or not.

Pave or plain is another preference. I really like the way a plain band looks simple, but there is some beauty with the pave. That said, again knowing the preference of your soon to be is of critical importance. If she is active or likes to do things with her hand she may appreciate a plain band as it won't be as fragile as pave.

Lastly, the thing you didn't ask about is the fact all these options have a halo around them. Again this is a preference thing and some people love them, some hate them and some are neutral. Knowing what your girl wants is key importance. I fall in the camp that I like some halos but not all them.

Of the choices presented I like the Luxe Sienna best, but I would probably opt for something slightly different myself. Of course, my final decision would be based around what my girl wanted as I would want her to love her ring every time she looked at it. This is the reason I custom designed a ring for my wife. She didn't want ordinary and we found one at a mall jeweler she liked but I didn't feel was high enough quality.

Good luck in your journey. Here are some pics of my wife's ring.

1-jpg.686982

2-jpg.686983

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #3, it's elegant, the others are just tooo much of everything and they overpower the diamond. BUT I am not a halo fan I love the simplicity of a solitaire, so don't trust me :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Are you set with buying from BE? I only ask because people have had some not so great experiences with that vendor. I personally wouldn't go with a band under 2 mm. That's really thin and I'd be concerned about the durability.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Sienna because I prefer its side profile (being cathedral). I do not think 2.3 is too wide. I like the Vienna because it is more simple, however I don't care for the side profile as much.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A ring shank will be way too thin and fragile under 2 mm especially for a 1.8 stone. If you must you can possibly go 1.8 mm but I personally would not.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would strongly advise against buying from BE. Their prices are rediculous and customer service is awful

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy 18k WG for a D color diamond. Platinum is a whiter metal.
Also ask what quality the melee are, imo
GHI melee would not look too good with a D color diamond.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I don't like any of them. I don't like halo settings - especially with a D color. They'll appear darker than your center stone.

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
I would not buy 18k WG for a D color diamond. Platinum is a whiter metal.
Also ask what quality the melee are, imo
GHI melee would not look too good with a D color diamond.

This is a great suggestion. Thank you!

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
I would strongly advise against buying from BE. Their prices are rediculous and customer service is awful

I understand your concern. It wasn't our first choice, but since extenuating circumstances demanded it. They actually have been great to work with, though, despite their inflated prices.

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
A ring shank will be way too thin and fragile under 2 mm especially for a 1.8 stone. If you must you can possibly go 1.8 mm but I personally would not.

Thank you for the input. It's quite valuable and validates my concern.

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
I like the Sienna because I prefer its side profile (being cathedral). I do not think 2.3 is too wide. I like the Vienna because it is more simple, however I don't care for the side profile as much.

I did not see that the Sienna has a cathedral setting. Thanks for pointing that out and giving advice about the ring.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your concern. It wasn't our first choice, but since extenuating circumstances demanded it. They actually have been great to work with, though, despite their inflated prices.
If you must use them for the center stone then I understand being stuck. But I think avoiding them as much as possible is smart, especially for a complex setting with pave.

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
Are you set with buying from BE? I only ask because people have had some not so great experiences with that vendor. I personally wouldn't go with a band under 2 mm. That's really thin and I'd be concerned about the durability.

Thanks for your advice. Because of a past situation, we need to go with BE, but they have been great to work with so far.

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
I know they all look similar but there are some key differences:
  • Luxe Sienna = 2.3mm width, pave band, double claw prongs & cathedral style head
  • Waverly = 1.4mm width, pave band, single claw prongs & peg style head
  • Vienna = 1.5mm width, plain metal band, single claw prongs & peg style head
Width is just one consideration. Have you actually viewed some bands in real life? I ask because it's my belief the blown up views are very exaggerated, meaning 2.3 doesn't look overly big like it is portrayed. The 1.4 and 1.5 will be very thin.

I'm a little concerned with the structural integrity of the 1.4 and 1.5 widths. There are ways to combat this such as hand forged vs cast and making the metal thicker. But you'd need to speak with BE and confirm some of these details. I designed a custom e-ring for my wife, and then later did a custom matching wedding band. She has lots of pave in her setting, and it was done in 14k white gold/palladium alloy. The thinnest they recommended making the wedding band was 1.8 and only because it was being soldered to the e-ring so it'd have extra structural integrity.

Additionally I just do not find that peg head style attractive at all. It just doesn't look secure to me, as in a single point that takes very little shear force and you have a lost center stone. But I understand this is also a personal preference, and one you need to know if your girl likes or not.

Pave or plain is another preference. I really like the way a plain band looks simple, but there is some beauty with the pave. That said, again knowing the preference of your soon to be is of critical importance. If she is active or likes to do things with her hand she may appreciate a plain band as it won't be as fragile as pave.

Lastly, the thing you didn't ask about is the fact all these options have a halo around them. Again this is a preference thing and some people love them, some hate them and some are neutral. Knowing what your girl wants is key importance. I fall in the camp that I like some halos but not all them.

Of the choices presented I like the Luxe Sienna best, but I would probably opt for something slightly different myself. Of course, my final decision would be based around what my girl wanted as I would want her to love her ring every time she looked at it. This is the reason I custom designed a ring for my wife. She didn't want ordinary and we found one at a mall jeweler she liked but I didn't feel was high enough quality.

Good luck in your journey. Here are some pics of my wife's ring.

1-jpg.686982

2-jpg.686983

TheOneRingforMe2020

Rough_Rock
This is such a helpful response. Thank you! Your wife's ring is stunning.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the Vienna too simple or too lacking on the band?

I personally like the Vienna best because it is more practical, better for daily wear, and can be resized. If your girlfriend wants to wear her ring all the time, a plain band is a better option. I don't think the width is dangerously thin for a plain band. My mom's wedding band in yellow gold started out that thin and she's worn it every day for nearly 40 years and wears it gardening and in all kinds of unadvised situations and it is fine - the diamonds on top are chipped to hell but the band is structurally sound. I went the not-practical route with my engagement ring with diamonds all over but I chose it for myself and have other rings I wear when it isn't the best time for it. If my finger size ever changes I will need an entirely new setting. But these are all discussions my husband and I had while shopping for rings, so we both made the choice with our eyes wide open. I recommend discussing your girlfriend's expectations of the ring and wearability in various situations, durability vs delicacy, resizability (rings with diamonds halfway or more around have very limited resizing potential, so if your ring size goes up when pregnant, for instance, you shouldn't size it up then size it back down when you lose weight - you should just lay it aside until either you fit in it again or have determined you won't any time soon - and if your size goes down from the original or goes up by more than one size, you'll need an entirely new setting - some people are very sentimental and don't like that thought), etc.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results