shape
carat
color
clarity

selling my current e-ring and freaking out !

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hello lovely people
So I have paid my deposit to Grace for my 2.01ct antique pear diamond - YIPPEE!
However I have decided to sell my current ering to offset the purchase - which is what I always had planned to do, and think consignment will be the way to go... well I called a few places and they've all been so rude to me and said princess cuts are terrible, no longer popular etc.... and when I mentioned the new purchase they all said the pear was WAY overpriced and its not an antique etc etc....

Im feeling worried and also freaking out! I know everyone who commented on my pear thought it was well priced and so I suppose Im just looking for a virtual hug and some peace of mind....

Being in Australia I find people just dont get it, and I wondering if I should list on here? or some of the other US sites?

Im getting anxious :confused: :confused: :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen a vendor commend on another vendors stone often- and just about as often its to take it down a peg or two in the buyers mind. It's so much so even on here vendors are not allowed to comment on each others stones to avoid bias.

Don't even tell them what you're buying its not any of their business anyhow. Tell them you're buying a car or something who cares what they think

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
List it on here, on diamond bistro, on ebay and on loupe troop.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond prices are astronomical in Oz. I'm sure you can sell it there for a decent price? Or why not list it with Grace?

bibs

Rough_Rock
I found the same thing here in Australia. I tried to sell my OEC M colour and the absolute rudeness about the stone from many vendors was disgraceful. Without seeing it and only know the stats over the phone my stone was dismissed and criticised :angryfire: :angryfire: I too was going to send it back to Grace for an upgrade but had found a ring here in Australia. Good luck with your sale and your new purchase.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hear you, it's incredibly frustrating selling a diamond! I did it last year and sorry to say, you just don't near what you paid. And it's even more frustrating to think that the whoever buys your diamond can sell it to someone as brand new... No way of a customer knowing if it's ever been worn. It's a great business for a diamond buyer!!! With that said, I do think JBG is very fair on her pricing. And don't let anyone offend you, diamond dealers are just like that and they always want to make you feel bad about your purchase.... Because they wish they would have sold you your new diamond!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your best bet is selling within your country because of the hassle of trying to ship overseas with insurance issues. I personally would not be comfortable sending money to someone in another country and then trusting the shipping to me in the US.

Sometimes it is just best to keep the diamond and repurpose as a pendant or something like that, rather than take a huge loss. I still have my original stone because it just wouldn't sell well due to not great specs. There are still plenty of people buying princess cuts, but you have to reach those buyers. Are there any jewelers in Australia that do consignment? Just be prepared to only get maybe half of the value out of it once you pay consignment and shipping fees.

Oh, and as others have said, never, ever tell a local jeweler that you have bought another diamond. You'll always get negative responses.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can swing it, I would try to keep your original diamond. You never will get a decent price in relation to what you paid for it diamond seeker is right, make a pendant with it. -

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Selling something as a complete used ring is sometimes problematic because lots of people are not interested in the setting. I recommend remounting the princess in something plain and contemporary. I recommend Stuller Item #: 21105 series half bezel. Provides good protection for the corners, has a contemporary look, and makes the stone look huge. Easy to wear as a ring, too.

Maybe sell the halo as a used semi mount. People seek used semimounts for colored stones or diamond simulants, but not so much for their engagement rings. DiamondBistro and LoupeTroop boards should definitely reach those people.

Send the princess to GIA for grading then consign it with someone in USA may be a good idea if you can't get an equivalent report on it in Oz and / or can't sell it there.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone who has replied. I too feel that if I can keep it I will - and pop it away for my daughter one day - that being said - since it's my second diamond I'm not overly attached to it. I'd love to send it off to GIA but it feels a big effort since we don't have a gia office in Australia (maybe one day....)

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Did you already ask Grace if she would be able to take it in as a partial trade in? That is what i have done in the past, and while you do not get the full value of the stone you can sometimes get more than just selling it straight out. Since you are already buying from her she might be open to it.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
dollyanjuli|1452201415|3972299 said:
Did you already ask Grace if she would be able to take it in as a partial trade in? That is what i have done in the past, and while you do not get the full value of the stone you can sometimes get more than just selling it straight out. Since you are already buying from her she might be open to it.

Hi Dolly
I havnt asked Grace! Since mine isn't antique I'm not sure she will take it but I'll definitely ask! Thanks

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
she does have some modern pieces, she just doesnt specialize in it. But it won't hurt to ask =)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Grace won't accept it as a trade :( but that's ok as I didn't expect her to. I have been offered $10k at a local antique jeweller here and had offers of $8k ish at other places so I will ponder that. It's the USD/AUD that's driving me mental!! Come on dollar!!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi laurenk - If you don't have any luck here on PS, have you considered one of the auction houses? Can't think of any in Brisbane at the moment (there's one called Pfeffers but I don't know anything about them)...maybe Bonhams in Sydney or Mossgreen in Melbourne?
Or do you know any local jewellers that may be willing to put your ring in their window for a small commission if they can sell it for you?
Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results