shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking URGENT Feedback on Potential E-Ring Purchase from JA

napster

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks! Thank you all in advance for your time and help! I found this community from searching across Google and am amazed by the wealth of knowledge and support offered here.

I wanted to humbly ask for some objective assistance and feedback for an engagement ring. Could you all please let me know your thoughts? I have provided details below, but please let me know if anything else is needed.

I had the diamonds reviewed by a gemologist at JA and have attached the idealscope images they generated for me as well.

Please note, I have until 5 PM (PT) on Oct. 10, 2016 to purchase one of the diamonds listed. Your prompt feedback is sincerely appreciated!

Of the options available, I myself am considering purchasing the following set. However, I would love to hear this community's feedback on my decision.
Diamond - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2008103
Setting - https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-yellow-gold-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2538

Loose Diamond:
Diamond 1
James Allen - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2008103
GIA Report - http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6232039905

Diamond 2
James Allen - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1960496
GIA Report - http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5233149739

Idealscope Image:
Diamond 1
2008103.jpg

Diamond 2
1960496.jpg

Settings:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-yellow-gold-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2538
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-yellow-gold-presentation-solitaire-six-prong-item-7988

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Seeking URGENT Feedback on Potential E-Ring Purchase fro

a vote for #2

and a vote for the more expensive, refined setting.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock

Yo napster (love that name by the way), I'm no expert but I'd go with stone 2 solely because stone 1 has such a large feather and connected cloud in the center of the table I'd be afraid it is not eye clean. Also, both stones are showing as sold, fyi.

napster

Rough_Rock

JulieN|1476069313|4085201 said:
a vote for #2

and a vote for the more expensive, refined setting.
LawmaLlama|1476069436|4085202 said:
Yo napster (love that name by the way), I'm no expert but I'd go with stone 2 solely because stone 1 has such a large feather and connected cloud in the center of the table I'd be afraid it is not eye clean. Also, both stones are showing as sold, fyi.

Hi JulieN and LawmaLlama! Thank you both for your feedback!

LawmaLlama - I'm glad you recognize Napster! Haha. I agree the feather on diamond 1 is a cause of concern, but if you zoom out to 1x on the JA site I linked, you can see it's not noticeable. I believe that makes it "eye-clean".

I am leaning towards purchasing this diamond because the gemologist from JA also said diamond 1 is the best performer of the two I selected. It's actually the cheaper one of the two, but not by much (~$350). Also, I have both diamond 1 and diamond 2 on hold which is also why they are not showing up as eligible on the JA site.

Can you clarify what you meant by "connected cloud in the center of the table" please? I tried a Google search for this phrase and its relation to diamonds, but did not find anything.

In the end, both seem to be great options. I am just seeing if there is an overwhelming majority of people who choose one over the other.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No 1 has the best cut according to the ideal scope. I don't like the inclusion though. I would look for another stone. There are plenty you don't have to buy before 5pm today. There are other vendors too.

Edit: Just noticed you said it cannot be see with naked eye. It may be when light is reflected though ask the seller. A still picture is different.

napster

Rough_Rock

Pyramid|1476092360|4085233 said:
No 1 has the best cut according to the ideal scope. I don't like the inclusion though. I would look for another stone. There are plenty you don't have to buy before 5pm today. There are other vendors too.

Edit: Just noticed you said it cannot be see with naked eye. It may be when light is reflected though ask the seller. A still picture is different.

Hi Pyramid! Thank you for your feedback. The light performance of diamond 1 definitely makes it look to be the better of two listed. However, as you mentioned, the inclusion is not pretty.

I am however a bit torn about looking for a new stone as the proportions on this stone are fantastic from what research I've done.

What other reputable vendors would you recommend? I am happy to consider them and I will ask the seller if they notice the inclusion when light is reflected directly on it as well. Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock

What I meant by "a large feather and connected cloud in the center of the table" are the inclusions. When looking at the GIA report, scroll down and download the pdf version, from there, you can see a plot of all the inclusions. This particular diamond has a large feather which at one end happens to have a cloud. With a cloud attached/connected it may not appear eye clean. You'll need to ask.

napster

Rough_Rock

tyty333 said:
I was going to vote for #2 also just because of that inclusion in #1. I guess you can always get it and return it if you find that the inclusion is more visible then expected. Go with the setting below. The prongs are much nicer. Good luck and keep us posted
when it comes in.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-yellow-gold-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2538

LawmaLlama|1476110820|4085303 said:
What I meant by "a large feather and connected cloud in the center of the table" are the inclusions. When looking at the GIA report, scroll down and download the pdf version, from there, you can see a plot of all the inclusions. This particular diamond has a large feather which at one end happens to have a cloud. With a cloud attached/connected it may not appear eye clean. You'll need to ask.

Hi tyty333 - Thank you for your feedback! I have asked for more photos of diamond #1 to see if the inclusion is visible with the naked eye. Like you, Pyramid, and LawmaLlama mentioned, the inclusion is definitely a cause of concern. However, I think I may order it and return it if I am not happy with how it looks in person.

LawmaLlama - Thanks for the clarification! I asked JA for additional photos of the diamond. The gemologist stated both diamonds "face up white and are eye-clean" in their initial e-mail to me.

Regardless of what decision I make, I appreciate all the feedback I have received in this thread! Please keep it coming!

I will also post a photo of whatever setup I do end up getting to keep you all updated. :)

napster

Rough_Rock

I asked JA the following:
- Can you confirm that diamond 2008103 is eye clean? Can the feather/cloud be seen by the naked eye in any angle? I would appreciate any additional pictures you can send me of the diamond as well.
- Would it be possible to hold 1960496 if I purchase 2008103? I would like to ensure I am happy with the diamond after purchasing it before releasing 1960496.
- If I purchase the setting through James Allen as well, how long would it take for me to receive the engagement ring?

Their response was:
Thank you for your response! As per the gemological inspection and visible in the diamond video, diamond 2008103 is completely eye clean. There will be no concern of seeing any inclusions in person. This is the opinion of the graduate gemologist as well, even to their trained eye.

We do not have any other images available of the diamond. The video on the site is hundreds of photographs of the diamond compiled together to create the 360 degree video.

I am not able to extend the diamond holds past 5pm today, but it is still very possible for the diamond to be available at a later date. Diamond 2008103 is absolutely stunning and I do not anticipate any issues when viewed in person.

We make each setting to order, so the exact production time for a completed ring varies depending on the setting selected. Typical production times range from 1 to 4 weeks.

Decision:
I'm going to get a quote on the final price out the door for diamond 1 (#2008103) and the more expensive setting. I think that will be my set up for the engagement ring.

This is a nerve-racking experience as I have never spent so much money on anything yet in my life. Thank you all for your help and support. I'll share photos once I receive the ring! :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's good news about the stone napster...post pictures and your opinion when you receive it!

napster

Rough_Rock

Hi All. Apologies for the delayed response!

TL;DR: I received the ring, proposed a couple of weeks later, and am now an engaged man! =]

Details:
I received the ring on 10/25/16, but actually delayed the proposal till mid-November for there was a death in my fiancee's family and the funeral was early Nov. I originally was planning to propose early Nov., but thought it would be best to wait a bit till after the funeral to be respectful of the family and to give them some time to grieve.

Before I proposed, I examined the ring and had it assessed by a local jeweler who gave it the same rating as what the GIA report stated. That was pretty comforting to me as I did not show him the report beforehand.

Overall, the ring is BEAUTIFUL and the feather/cloud on the diamond is not noticeable at all! Well, if held in bright light at the right angle, it can be noticed. I would say the diamond is still eye-clean though. Take that with a grain of salt for I am not a gemologist.

Below are some photos of the diamond! I took the shots with my iPhone 6 and used a flashlight to help create some better lighting for the shots. The shot of the ring on the finger was taken in a restaurant that did not have the best lighting, but it's okay as the ring is on my fiancee's finger.

Thank you all for your help and guidance! My fiancee is ENAMORED with her ring and I even catch myself staring at it from time to time as well. We're working on wedding planning now which is another beast to tackle, but we're happily working on it together. Take care, everyone!

Direct shot:
img_1229_1.jpg

Top shot in ring box:
img_1227_0.jpg

Top shot on cloth:
img_1228_0.jpg

Ring on hand:
img_1262.jpg

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock

Congrats napster! It looks lovely. I'm glad it is eye clean. Don't worry about whatever you are seeing at just the right angle and in just the right light. 99% of the time you won't be in those conditions. That 1% of the time will help you both to know it's your diamond, kind of an identifier. Again congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! I'm so glad you are happy with the ring and everything work out...congrats on your up coming wedding!!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful! Congratulations! :appl:

napster

Rough_Rock

LawmaLlama said:
Congrats napster! It looks lovely. I'm glad it is eye clean. Don't worry about whatever you are seeing at just the right angle and in just the right light. 99% of the time you won't be in those conditions. That 1% of the time will help you both to know it's your diamond, kind of an identifier. Again congrats!

Thanks for the great perspective and kind words! I didn't think of it like that and am now happier the ring has its own little beauty mark. =]

tyty333 said:
Congratulations! I'm so glad you are happy with the ring and everything work out...congrats on your up coming wedding!!!

Thank you! I appreciate your help as well! You rock!

ac117 said:
It's beautiful! Congratulations! :appl:

Thank you kindly! =]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results