shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Input on Custom Criss-Cross Ring Project Please

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering embarking on a middle finger criss-cross ring project using some of my loose diamonds - an approx 4 mm ACC/OMC for the center, and eight approx 2 mm round OECs. I am NOT a visionary, or good at creating original concepts, eyeing proportions, etc., and I REALLY suck at drawing things out, so bear with me here please. Overall, I know I want a modern-feminine feel with a tasteful punch of sparkle, but the devil is in the details, so ... pictures first.

Now the details - My thoughts are to go with white gold (undecided on plated vs unplated, metal finish, etc), with the ACC/OMC kite-set & bezeled, then have the smaller stones gypsy/flush set into the bands. The ring size for this finger is 8 1/2, so I *think* there is sufficient real estate to manage this. Are the smaller diamonds too big for such a project (keeping in mind they would be gypsy/flush set, covering some of the edge)? How wide might the bands need to be to accommodate the side stones (I would be okay with them being a little 'bulky/bold" as I don't particularly care for super delicate/thin bands)? Straight or swoopy style bands? The latter makes me think it might appear less bulky but still not too delicate looking, while still providing the punch of sparkle. Polished or satin finish? Definitely don't want too much 'texture' (such as milgrain) as it would irritate the neighboring fingers.

I know those were a lot of thoughts/questions. But you all have WAYYY better experience, eyes & vision for these things than I do. If anyone owns any similar style rings or has a link to one, please post/link them. Most of what I could find when searching were only pave on both bands or more 'tighter'/twist-style bands without much space between the bands, which is not the look I'm going for.

Lastly, any thoughts on a good bench to approach with this? I don't have a set budget yet for the project, and since I'm providing the diamonds, I'm not sure what a reasonable budget expectation might be for this. My goal is to (hopefully) get some valuable input from the experts here to pin down the overall design/look, then approach a couple of the PS vendors for estimates. But it would be helpful to know what ballpark ($1k, $2k, etc.) this may be in so my expectations are reasonable on approach.

Thanks much in advance for your thoughts, input, suggestions, etc. :wavey: I'd really love to embark on this with valued input from the PSers, detailing the process along the way, and resulting in sharing what I hope to be a fun new addition to my ring rotation. :appl:

criss_cross_ring_diamonds_1.jpg

criss_cross_ring_diamonds_2.jpg

criss_cross_ring_diamonds_3.jpg

criss_cross_ring.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! I would consider though instead of doing a straight-up cross with 90 degree angles, doing something with two acute and two wide angles, like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/466617233/1ctw-oec-omc-crossover-cvb-phoebe-ring?ref=shop_home_active_1 Unless you like the 90 degree angles. Your fingers do look long enough to pull it off.

I also think gypsy setting goes considerably better with the rounded version as opposed to the squared off version - if you did the more square one, I would bead set them in little boxes (idk what you call that? but like the band here, even if without milgrain - https://www.etsy.com/listing/233980426/the-cvb-chloe-solitaire-18k-yellow-gold?ref=shop_home_active_36 ). Another thing to consider is what the parts of the ring that don't have diamonds will look like - if you do the swoopy style, you can carry that shape around the finger on the bands and that would provide continued visual interest.

Aren't the smaller diamonds like 2mm? How would they be TOO BIG??????

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your input, Distracts. I saw that ring of Caysie's on FB also; it's beautiful! :love: :love: I would be okay with the angles you noted, or maybe even somewhere in between the two ... I just like the visual aspect of there being more vs less space between them on each side.

I also like those little "boxes" for the rounds that I've seen on similar bands; however, for this project I think I want to play up the variance in stone shapes a bit (and let the ACC/OMC shape appear distinct & different from the rounds) while keeping a more modern & sleek look, whereas the boxes appear a little more "vintage/antique" to me. In my drawing with the bands that appear "squared off", those bands really should be rounded, but I couldn't figure out to to draw them to look rounded on the edges.

My concern about the 2mm size maybe being "too big" is because - to gypsy/flush set them in the bands - would that make the bands too thick/wide to achieve the look? Wouldn't they need to be (for example) 3.5 mm wide each and thus appear too bulky?

I really need to get the diamonds measured with calipers to be sure, as I was going off memory from when I bought them. They might be more like 4.5mm (ACC/OMC) and 2.5 mm (rounds).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also just thought - how do I size for something like this being it's really two rings? Just go with my standard finger size? Size up a half or whole size? I guess a wax model would be needed to try on for fit.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1469444495|4059033 said:
My concern about the 2mm size maybe being "too big" is because - to gypsy/flush set them in the bands - would that make the bands too thick/wide to achieve the look? Wouldn't they need to be (for example) 3.5 mm wide each and thus appear too bulky?

I really need to get the diamonds measured with calipers to be sure, as I was going off memory from when I bought them. They might be more like 4.5mm (ACC/OMC) and 2.5 mm (rounds).

I think given the size of your finger, even if the widest part needs to be 3.5mm that will not appear too bulky, especially if you go with the more rounded/swoopy shape. BUT I am not the best to judge because my e-ring is 4mm wide and I wear two 3mm bands with it so my judgment leans toward a view where bulkier is better. So, uh, to be fair me thinking something is dainty might not agree with your perspective.

I wouldn't size up for this kind of ring. If you're wearing several rings close to each other so that they are like one thick ring you need to size up, but with two crossed skinny rings it is probably unnecessary. The finger fat has plenty of space to migrate too. lol.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are setting the stones down into the shank, then it will be wider than 2mm for each shank. You really need to be working with a designer to get your proportions and design right. If you had a picture of an exact ring you were making, then anyone could make it. DK might be good and inexpensive. But if you need design help, Caysie is the best I know of. I like the placement of the bands in her Phoebe ring, but your shanks will be wider to accommodate 2mm stones.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for the input!

Distracts - "finger fat migration" :lol: I totally get what you're saying though.

DS - I totally agree that a designer would definitely be helpful here. I guess where I am coming from is more the overall look/concept before I approach someone so I can pin down some details. Are the eight accent diamonds too much, and maybe I should stick with four? If this was your ring, what type of finish might you choose, knowing the goal is a more modern feel? Straight/rounded bands or swoopy style? Just looking for opinions or "things to consider" with this particular style so I can mull those over and pin down some points for the project upon approach.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In playing around with how this looks, I'm rethinking using all 8 smaller diamonds, and going with just four. Eight just seems like it's too much/busy/cluttered to my eyes.

Plus - by going with only 4 - I would have 'back-ups' should something happen to one of the smaller diamonds, or I could use them for another project down the road.

Thoughts?

criss_cross_ring_drawing1.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an update that I've reached out to CvB for this project. As she just created the closest thing to what I'm looking to do, and brings incredible creativity to the design process (which I sorely need!) coupled with a fabulous bench, it's a no-brainer to go with her on this. We're already in discussions and drawings, and the input & collaboration already reveals this will be a FAR more beautiful ring than I could have imagined. I'm so excited! :appl:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1469800230|4060536 said:
Just an update that I've reached out to CvB for this project. As she just created the closest thing to what I'm looking to do, and brings incredible creativity to the design process (which I sorely need!) coupled with a fabulous bench, it's a no-brainer to go with her on this. We're already in discussions and drawings, and the input & collaboration already reveals this will be a FAR more beautiful ring than I could have imagined. I'm so excited! :appl:

I'm SO glad you went with her. That phoebe ring is KILLING me I want it so bad. Did you go with all of the diamonds? I would make studs out of the leftovers! :appl: :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1469800391|4060538 said:
I'm SO glad you went with her. That phoebe ring is KILLING me I want it so bad. Did you go with all of the diamonds? I would make studs out of the leftovers! :appl: :appl:

Yes, using all 8 OECs and the one ACC/OMC. It's seriously going to be a gorgeous ring ... way better than I initially even thought it would/could be with the tweaks we made to the overall concept/design! :love:

And worry not, I have several more smallish OECs in my stash, including one matched pair that are about .80 tcw that would make great little studs. :naughty:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a sneak peak rough drawing on where we've landed on the design. The OECs will be modified bar set in the bands with a 'U' shape opening to make the side view nicer as well as let more light into the diamonds. The center ACC bezeled as planned. And the bands taper down slightly as they get closer to the center bezel, which also helps to set off the OECs.

We're going to decide on texture for the bands & center bezel when we get to CADs so I can see/visualize the options we're mulling over ... maybe a light brushed finish on the bands with polished center bezel, or perhaps a different texture on the center bezel altogether. I can't wait! :appl:

cvb_criss_cross_ring_drawing.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to update & share the progress, as the ring is now going into production and will be ready in a few weeks. :appl: Of course, I'll be back with more pictures when it's finished.

Caysie (CvB Inspired Design) is absolutely a DREAM to work with! I've so enjoyed this process with her so far, and these final CADs (we only went through one other iteration, as she really nailed what I wanted right out of the gate) make me so excited for the final result.

We did eliminate the bands' taper as it approaches the center ACC, and she beefed up the side bands slightly (about 2.2mm wide IIRC w/o checking my notes) because I was worried about them exposing too much of the OECs. The bands will be a soft brushed finish, and the center bezel will be high-polished with a very fine milgrain on the bezel's inner edge. Also, we discussed how the OECs will be seated (there will be a notch inside the bands), as I worried about this a bit after reading Kenny's comments re: his tension settings and having a 'full-through' notch (where the diamond could slide out); that won't be the case here with how her bench will seat them, so thank you Kenny for sharing that, which prompted me to inquire. :wavey:

The overall tcw of the ring will be .94, with the ACC measuring 4.14x4.07, and the OECs ranging from 2.56x1.49 to 2.78x1.71; all are estimated at G-H/VS to VVS in color/clarity; and the ring will be 14K WG-P. I think that covers all the usual stats. :think:

face_on_cad.jpg

angle_side_view_cad.jpg

side_view_cad.jpg

north_south_view_cad.jpg

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJ, looking forward to seeing the finished project. It will be a unique and beautiful ring.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be in my hot little hands tomorrow. :dance:

Picture courtesy of the lovely CvB.

_38285.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait for hand shots! I turned out great.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh pretty! I love the design you ended up with. Hand shots when you get it! Looks like a fun ring to wear!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Can't wait for more pictures!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks AWESOME! Another CVB stunner!! Can't wait to see more pics! :love:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to see hand pics!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look awesome!!! :appl: I am SO glad you chose Caysie for this project! I've never seen another designer that uses CADs that nails designs so perfectly, often with the first try.

Q

Queenie60

Very nice - I think I saw this on her Instagram? Very lovely ring, can't wait to see it on your hand. :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you LookingAgain, Tyty, MSOP, Distracts, DS & Queenie. Yes, it was on her IG; I have a few other 'glamour shots' from her, but will hold onto them for the SMTB thread. :naughty:

DS - you are so right about Caysie! She took a concept that I couldn't articulate very well, and created something so much more beautiful than I could possibly imagine; she just 'gets it' and is just such a lovely person to talk & work with. We've already started discussions about my 5-stone ring, and I can't wait to get that project underway with her as well. :appl:

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
Wow that looks awesome! What a special and unique ring you'll own,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results