shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking help selecting diamonds for earrings

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I have been saving for a while and am now planning to buy my first pair of diamond earrings. I've done some research, but reading through some of these posts, I clearly have a lot to learn. I'm hoping some of you can help me get the most sparkle and brilliance I can with my money.

I am looking at round brilliant. I am pretty sensitive to color. However. while I can tell the difference between a D or E white stone and something like a G (my E ring), I am fine with a G because I cannot see yellow. For my earrings, I will go as low in color as possible for a round and still not see yellow. I have read somewhere that I may be able to go to an I, but not sure if I should stick with H to be more sure? Sparkle factor is very important to me, so I don't want to compromise on cut, but may be able to do down in clarity as long as you cannot see any blemishes just by looking at it. What I can't figure out is how do I determine if a SI is eyeclean from the internet? I am looking at about 1.8 tcw. or .9ct each. I would prefer to not go over $8500 including the setting, which I would also love advice on. I'm looking for something comfortable and secure that I can wear all the time and pretty much only take out to clean or for special occasions when I don't need toddler proof earrings. :)

I would really look forward to some of your expert advice.

Thanks in advance!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reached out to Whiteflash to find me a matching pair with the best cut and the found me a ACA pair you can see across the room. Great customer service. Im sure any of the vendors here would do the same if you called with your requirements.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am with Aprilbaby. I would contact Whiteflash. Their ACA diamond studs are fabulous and they will work with you to find what you want. I think Si diamonds are fine for earrings and yes G/H will face up very white.

Other vendors that are popular on PS should be fine too.

Have fun shopping. :wavey:

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think WF will be able to meet your pricepoint. You might have better luck with other vendors. I'd love to be wrong! Please post and keep us apprised of your journey.

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help. It occurred to me that I should maybe ask some more specific questions. What does ACA stand for? Are there certain types of certifications I should pursue or exclude? Is there a way to tell how much light a diamond will reflect other than the program here that has the red picture?

Does anyone have any thoughts about these diamonds?

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-earrings/diamond-details/LD07688093-LD07796201

Thank you!

Q

Queenie60

ACA means "A cut above" which is super ideal cut from Whiteflash. You will certainly get as much sparkle as possible. I purchased studs earlier this year - I was considering the ACA stones from Whiteflash. However, I contacted Yekutiel at ID Jewelry, he was able to find GIA xxx stones for me with as much sparkle. I was in the same ballpark as your budget. I have a .91 and a .93 stone, one is a G and one is an H, can't tell them apart. They are very, very sparkly studs and I wear them daily. When I want more bling, I add an earring jacket.

img_1790.jpg

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Thank you Queenie,

Your earrings are gorgeous! Can I ask what kind of setting you selected? I like the way the prongs look on yours. Does ID jewelry have an upgrade program?

Q

Queenie60

Yes, IDJ has an upgrade program, clarify with him when you purchase. I had my studs set in white gold rather than platinum, I may want to upgrade in the future but I doubt it. I would just pass these on to my daughter and purchase larger!!! This is the perfect size for me. They are set in 6 prong, vatche style made by ID Jewelry. Here's a side view:

img_1789.jpg

I suggest you contact Yekutiel, tell him you were recommended by PriceScope and ask that he assist you with finding a pair of studs, equivalent to ACA quality.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought mine from Whiteflash and upgraded a couple of times until I got to the size I wanted. They have top cut diamonds. But with your proposed budget, you will either have to go down in size with them or go to excellent cut stones with a vendor like ID Jewelry. I would not order SI clarity stones from a vendor like BN because some are eyeclean and some are not. If you go with ID Jewelry, I would give them these parameters:

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Queenie, just curious - did you ever post the specs on your earrings? If not, would you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results