shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buyer1

Rough_Rock
I was hoping to get some feedback on the following diamond:

EGL USA REPORT

Round Brilliant
0.76 ct
Depth - 61.1%
Table - 55%
Crown - 15.1%
Pavillion - 42.7%
Girdle - Thin
Cutlet - None
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Clarity - VS2
Color - E
Fluorescence - Medium Blue

I am a bit concerned about the "medium blue" fluorescence because I''ve heard strong fluorescence in E colored diamonds is not recommended, and EGL USA generally tends to understate fluorescence in their reports.

I am also a bit concerned about the GOOD polish/symmetry. Can you really tell the difference between G, VG and EXC? Can I trust the EGL USA rating?

Regarding the cut, I plotted the figures into the cut advisor, and it seems to have a pretty good cut. Am I right?

I would also appreciate it if you guys could help me figure out what this diamond is worth (fair market value). It is my understanding that EGL USA and GIA reports may vary quite a bit. What would a comparable GIA report say?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert...and not sure, real world, the provisional effects, for example, of the "good symmetry." But, note from HCA notes...

"Stones near the center of the red region (the lowest scores) are least affected by symmetry variations"

Ideally, you'd be able to compare that diamond with one with known excellent properties...one with current AGS0 for light performance, for example.

EGL USA is promising for value...being the best of the EGL, and it should get you a discount. Diamonds with similar certs run on this board (highly competitive pricing...tending to be lower than a B&M) for approx $2600, give or take $400. If you ignore the cert, that's a different range...of $2900, give or take $700.

How much is this one?

Can you compare it to a certified primo one?

eta...many here like the fluoro...do a search. It can advantageously add discounts as well!

Best,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The experts around here have always said to choose very good or better for polish and symmetry, and that''s on a GIA or AGS cert. I don''t think I''d go with less than very good on an EGL stone, and I''d compare prices as if it is F color and SI1 clarity, just in case. The flourescence is probably the last thing I''d worry about. Can you see the stone and then return it if you don''t like it? Or rather if it does not appraise as represented?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL USA is said to be the most accurate of the EGL labs. Good and above polish and symmetry are said to look the same to the untrained eye, very finely crafted diamonds tend to have ex ex and above and many insist on this detail as part of their diamonds skilled and top notch cutting. I would make the sale final on an independant appraisal to make sure this diamond checks out, your expert can check the fluorescence too.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
I think this is potentially a great deal since its cheaper than an AGS or GIA but has the same potential for light performance. I''d be a little worried about "good" in symmetry and polish, but I don''t think it''s a deal breaker. I would second Lorelei in getting an independent appraiser (there''s a list of recs on the top of this page). Also you may want to get some pictures (idealscope or ASET) if you''re not going to see it in person to make sure you are OK with the symmetry/light return.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results