shape
carat
color
clarity

seeking advice on runaround worries...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bôscäge

Rough_Rock

Hi All,

After many months of searching I selected a local jeweler for my engagement ring. Several extremely informative meetings with the jeweler passed and alas I selected the diamond and paid in full for the custom piece on 11/1 (he only required the cost of the diamond, and 20% of the ring). I told the jeweler that I would need the ring no later then 12/10, and he agreed that was more then ample time to complete it. He also stated I would probably see it much sooner then 12/10. I made an additonal request that if he forsaw any problems with a 12/10 delivery then please let me know, no later then 12/1.

Well 12/7 came along, and not a word. I called, left a message to find out the status and received a call back that day. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take the call so we played phone tag until the following day. Needless to say he was concerned that I may have made plans and needed to know if there was an absolut deadline. I tend to be a bit too honest at times, so I truthfully told him I did not want to make definite plans until it was in my hands. I proceeded to ask if it would be ready by the end of the week this week, and he again optimistically stated no no, mid-week tops. Well it's now Thursday, I've called again, and he's said it's not ready, it depends on how the next couple days go, and he'll call on Saturday 12/16.

Perhaps it's sheer paranoia about such a large purchase, but I'm really becoming concerned.

My questions for any of you is, is this type of process typical with small local jewelers?

Did I give the jeweler an unrealistic timeline to complete the piece (is 40 days just too short of a time frame)?

Is there a reasonable point in time at which should I put my foot down and demand a delivery date or a return?

I was very satisfied with my early on experience with this jeweler, and I haven't given up on him yet. Having been a freelance designer for many years, I understand deadlines and optimism, but I feel I don't know enough about this field to know if I'm clearly getting the runaround. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreicated.

Also, I've attached a photo of closely similar ring by him. The main differences are that I selected a nearly square radiant which will be set to hide the cut corners. The radiant just looked so much nicer then the princess she wants, and I'm certain her attraction to the princess is the squareness. Also the finish and widths are slightly varied as her fingers are tiny.
Thanks so much,
John

7.gif

tm_ring.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cehra is in the same boat right now if nothing changed, i will forward your post to her.
From the picture first i assumed that you are creating tension setting, but then the shadow gave out the bar under the diamond, is that right?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bôscäge, deadlines are always a tricky thing unless both parties are ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on what the expectations are. I recently ordered a Jack Kelege setting from a local jeweler and that jeweler told me that it would take four weeks. Well, on the magic four week date I called up to ask the status and was told that Kelege would need "every minute of the six week window" to get my ring done. WHAT six week window? And the jeweler went on to say that Kelege promised my setting would be here NO LATER than the afternoon of Friday, Dec. 22nd. Well unless he''s got some ELVES all lined up to actually put my diamond INTO the setting I will be screwed come Christmas morning (Monday). Otherwise I can wear my empty setting around the house all day for fun--NOT!!!

Give the guy a call, or better yet if it''s feasible go to the store, and find out what''s going on. At least one of us should have a ring come Christmas morning, LOL.

bôscäge

Rough_Rock
Admin/

Thanks for you comment. Please do forward if that is still the case.

There is indeed a bar beneath the stone, good eye! Initially I had been turned on to the true tension settings by a Glain-Abaci ring I had seen, then ofcourse that led me to Kretchmer and all the battles in between. I've looked at several tension style settings since, and this one had the best profile for my girlfriend. Her fingers are quite small, and she works in the medical field, so in the event she has to suddenly throw gloves on it shouldn't be much of a problem.

DeeJay/

Ouch, I certainly feel for your situation! If I don't get a call on Saturday as promised, I will be stopping by his shoppe. He does all work on site, so perhaps I will even ask to see the progress. It seems our time windows are quite similar, so perhaps your jeweler could spare a few elves for me and we'll both have a good christmas!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL bôscäge, you need the elves more urgently than I do--you can use them first!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 1:37:18 PM
Author:bôscäge

Hi All,

After many months of searching I selected a local jeweler for my engagement ring. Several extremely informative meetings with the jeweler passed and alas I selected the diamond and paid in full for the custom piece on 11/1 (he only required the cost of the diamond, and 20% of the ring). I told the jeweler that I would need the ring no later then 12/10, and he agreed that was more then ample time to complete it. He also stated I would probably see it much sooner then 12/10. I made an additonal request that if he forsaw any problems with a 12/10 delivery then please let me know, no later then 12/1.

Well 12/7 came along, and not a word. I called, left a message to find out the status and received a call back that day. Unfortunately I wasn''t able to take the call so we played phone tag until the following day. Needless to say he was concerned that I may have made plans and needed to know if there was an absolut deadline. I tend to be a bit too honest at times, so I truthfully told him I did not want to make definite plans until it was in my hands. I proceeded to ask if it would be ready by the end of the week this week, and he again optimistically stated no no, mid-week tops. Well it''s now Thursday, I''ve called again, and he''s said it''s not ready, it depends on how the next couple days go, and he''ll call on Saturday 12/16.

Perhaps it''s sheer paranoia about such a large purchase, but I''m really becoming concerned.

My questions for any of you is, is this type of process typical with small local jewelers?

Did I give the jeweler an unrealistic timeline to complete the piece (is 40 days just too short of a time frame)?

Is there a reasonable point in time at which should I put my foot down and demand a delivery date or a return?

I was very satisfied with my early on experience with this jeweler, and I haven''t given up on him yet. Having been a freelance designer for many years, I understand deadlines and optimism, but I feel I don''t know enough about this field to know if I''m clearly getting the runaround. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreicated.

Also, I''ve attached a photo of closely similar ring by him. The main differences are that I selected a nearly square radiant which will be set to hide the cut corners. The radiant just looked so much nicer then the princess she wants, and I''m certain her attraction to the princess is the squareness. Also the finish and widths are slightly varied as her fingers are tiny.

Thanks so much,
John

7.gif
Hi John :) I got the fwd and I should probably come to this forum occasionally - I always forget!

Like you I was very satisfied with my early experience. And in my situation there has been illness which explains some of it, but it''s also been now since late september and I still have no ring. I forgive the past 2 weeks though because as far as I am concerned that project is on hold waiting for dismissal and I am regrouping and trying to figure out where else to go.

Some jewelers take longer than others, and that''s fine if that''s what they tell you to expect. But to tell you one thing and not deliver it... that''s another. I worry about demanding it be finished because you never know if it will end up being rushed and in mediocre condition. Is there any way you can get a complete refund and regroup/start over? If you no longer have trust in this jeweler, you have to tust your gut. Does he just need more time? What really started bothering me is that if I couldn''t trust the little things being done, what on earth gave me the indication that other details I requested would be handled accurately? How honest are they being? Not to mean that they''re being intentionally deceitful - not at all. Just in over their head in one way or another. Telling you you''ll have the moon and you end up with a pile of dirt. I wanted to go local for several reasons but I''m seriously reconsidering that now. The PS vendors have their reputations at stake here and somehow I feel comfort in that ''insurance''. One vendor here says they have a 2 week turnaround time and I know some of the artisans can take MONTHS to complete their work. To me it isn''t as much about how long it is as much as it is what they tell you to expect. Do you know what stage the jeweler is in? Have you seen a wax and approved it? If your gut is saying caution - might as well listen to it!

also - hehehe - I dunno if Id get a girl set on a princess a radiant LOL I''d prefer it but I know one woman who really wants a ::footstomp:: princess!! lol! <~ added to lighten the mood :) I''ll check back later - I hope it all gets resolved for you!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 1:58:38 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
bôscäge, deadlines are always a tricky thing unless both parties are ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on what the expectations are. I recently ordered a Jack Kelege setting from a local jeweler and that jeweler told me that it would take four weeks. Well, on the magic four week date I called up to ask the status and was told that Kelege would need ''every minute of the six week window'' to get my ring done. WHAT six week window? And the jeweler went on to say that Kelege promised my setting would be here NO LATER than the afternoon of Friday, Dec. 22nd. Well unless he''s got some ELVES all lined up to actually put my diamond INTO the setting I will be screwed come Christmas morning (Monday). Otherwise I can wear my empty setting around the house all day for fun--NOT!!!

Give the guy a call, or better yet if it''s feasible go to the store, and find out what''s going on. At least one of us should have a ring come Christmas morning, LOL.
I did that today - wore my UNSET diamond around the house.... very carefully of course lol I want it on my finger so bad but I''ve resolved to do nothing official until the first of the year.... in the mean time I''m trying to figure out a new plan ala KC with the power point or something.... it was an advantage having someone local, and I''m a bit nervous on how to convey some of my truly custom ideas via email and phone.... okay a LOT nervous!!!

bôscäge

Rough_Rock
To much releif, my worries have ceased. No call on Saturday as I had expected, so my worries were elevating to anger. Thankfully, Cehrabehra, your reply really helped me see a better angle on the situation. I needed to approach this in a far more sensitive manner, as ofcourse I do not want quality to suffer. So I waited the weekend, called on Monday morning on my way to work (4am) and left a polite somewhat despearte, lets work together to find a reasonable delivery message. I received two calls that day to let me know it was done. I picked it up today, and it was simply STUNNING!

I''ll be cutting this short as I have much planning to do (I was hesitant to do prior), but Thank you all for your thoughts and support on this. Pending no further snaggles and a dash of luck, I expect I should have a picture of the ring on her finger to share in the next few weeks.

DeeJay & Cehrabehra hang in there and happiest of holidays with or without your jewels! (hopefullly with) :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bôscäge - I''m SO happy the ring is done! What a relief that must be for you. Please do post pics soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results