shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking advice on oval diamond

TSR120

Rough_Rock
I've been scouring the internet regarding oval cut diamonds and in effort to avoid picking one that will have a prominent bow-tie and/or be "too dull." I've done a ton of research on the 4Cs and other nuances of oval but I still feel pretty unclear on this whole bow tie matter as well as how to find an "eye clean" si1 online. I came across the rarecarat.com site and have been researching vendors on there. It seems many of these diamonds are available on the open market through different online vendors. I've seen the opulent oval discussion and unfortunately those are somewhat out of my price range for what we are seeking.

I am looking for between a 1.5-1.6 carat oval cut with a length of at least 9mm; H or higher in color; Si1 to VS2 clarity. L/W ratio between 1.35-1.45, ideally 1.4. The plan is a pave setting. Budget for the diamond is $8000-$9000 (Go easy on me if this seems unreasonable, I'm new to this :oops:)

I am also wondering if anyone can offer some insight on some specific diamonds I came across the site.

If anyone can help out with some advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

TSR120

Rough_Rock
Any advice on these two in particular? They have 360 videos, but I feel like the more I examine the more I hyperfocus on a bowtie effect. Also, I am confused if I can provide the links to the videos as it seems we cant? Thanks guys!

Y1.png
1.5ct G VS2 Signature Ideal Cut
Measurements:
9.11 - 6.30 x 3.98
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Grading Lab GIA
Fluorescence None
Depth 63.1%
Table 58%
Crown Angle 36.5°
Crown Height 15.5%
Girdle Slightly Thick to Very Thick
Pavilion Angle 39.8°
Pavilion Depth 42.4%
Culet None
L/W Ratio 1.45

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 10.00.19 AM.png
1.51 H VS2 Signature Ideal Cut
Measurements
9.23 - 6.74 x 3.91
Grading Lab
GIA
Polish
Excellent
Symmetry
Very Good
Fluorescence
None
Depth
58.0%
Table
61%
Crown Angle
0.0°
Crown Height
0.0%
Girdle
Medium to Slightly Thick
Pavilion Angle
0.0°
Pavilion Depth
0.0%
Culet
None
L/W Ratio

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I am a HUGE fan of the OO, the OP stated in the beginning paragraph that they are out of his/her budget: "I've seen the opulent oval discussion and unfortunately those are somewhat out of my price range for what we are seeking." Just for kicks I looked at the OO inventory and the gorgeous stone Matthews posted is $7K over budget and then it goes down to a 1 carat to 1.2 carat to stay within budget which is significantly smaller than desired.

OP, since you are looking for a fancy shape, the best way to determine performance is to ask the vendor for an ASET image. The numbers don't really mean much when evaluating fancies. A video and an ASET are extremely helpful. Can you ask the vendor?

TSR120

Rough_Rock
While I am a HUGE fan of the OO, the OP stated in the beginning paragraph that they are out of his/her budget: "I've seen the opulent oval discussion and unfortunately those are somewhat out of my price range for what we are seeking." Just for kicks I looked at the OO inventory and the gorgeous stone Matthews posted is $7K over budget and then it goes down to a 1 carat to 1.2 carat to stay within budget which is significantly smaller than desired.

OP, since you are looking for a fancy shape, the best way to determine performance is to ask the vendor for an ASET image. The numbers don't really mean much when evaluating fancies. A video and an ASET are extremely helpful. Can you ask the vendor?

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, those are beautiful but unfortunately out of budget. I have asked the vendor for both, they will get back to me Monday hopefully. So the ASET image would identify if there will be a strong bowtie? I have a 360 video of both, is there I way I could show that to you?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can link the stones and we can go to the link to view the video. You want an ASET to see what is happening with the light performance since avoiding a bow tie isn't the only goal when evaluating an oval. If you can get a stone with as much sparkle and brilliance and no bow tie that would be ideal =)2.

TSR120

Rough_Rock
You can link the stones and we can go to the link to view the video. You want an ASET to see what is happening with the light performance since avoiding a bow tie isn't the only goal when evaluating an oval. If you can get a stone with as much sparkle and brilliance and no bow tie that would be ideal =)2.

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/oval-diamond-1.51-carat-h-vs2-yd2060753

https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/oval-diamond-1.5-carat-g-vs2-yd1188689

Got it, thanks. Hopefully they get back to me Monday, it seems the diamond is available on multiple sites so I can ask each one if one can't provide. I REALLY appreciate the info. :)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of the first stone's inclusion under the table. That one's video is also rotating too fast for me to really see but it's giving me a meh feeling. The second stone looks like it has a bow tie.

Are you firm on that vendor? James Allen has good videos for ovals, would that vendor be an option for you?

TSR120

Rough_Rock
I'm not a fan of the first stone's inclusion under the table. That one's video is also rotating too fast for me to really see but it's giving me a meh feeling. The second stone looks like it has a bow tie.

Are you firm on that vendor? James Allen has good videos for ovals, would that vendor be an option for you?

No not set on any one in particular. I've been using rare carat to hone the specifications. I've looked at James Allen, the problem is I can't seem to find any stones with a length of 9mm or more. I have found quite a bit through rarecarat with that criteria but not on JA or BN. I know that that would be easier met with a diamond closer to 2 carats but I'm afraid that would be out of my price range. My goal is 10k with the setting. I am looking now to see what else may pop up too.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not finding much within your desired specs and budget. These are the closest I could find that are decent, but they are over budget. BN is tough because they do not provide ASET images. You could reach out to IDJ and see what they can find you. Depending on what you/we can find, you may need to drop your specs or increase your budget (easier said than done!).

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3495455

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4464461

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$10k for two carats and a ring might pose a challenge. Perhaps you could start a little smaller somewhere with an upgrade policy.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@JDDN how could you tell there would be a bowtie from the ASET of https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/oval-diamond-1.53-carat-g-vs2-yd1887156 provided by the OP?

I thought red was not necessarily bad in the center?

@TSR120 if you're willing to dig and put in some elbow grease - b2c is a great place to search. it's definitely less user friendly - you have to kind of be willing to learn what to look for but the prices are great

Unfortunately there appears to be a bow tie and not a lot of light return else where. Here's a thread that will be of interest to you in terms of ASET's, what to look for, etc.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-ja-oval.238516/

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, for some reason I think I looked at the OP’s previous G VS2 oval. It doesn’t appear to have a bad bow tie on the video. We’d like to see a bit more red where all the white is in the aset but you’re right that red isn’t necessarily bad in the center. Thank you for noting this!

You can also search on Enchanted Diamonds as I believe they have asets with their inventory.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@JDDN thanks for clarifying - i'm still trying to learn myself - OP i hope you don't mind me posting this ASET image but i'm totally confused - does this image suggest a bow tie? i know it's a computerized image and i know it has some light leakage but what exactly are us oval buyers looking for here in the middle where a bow tie would be?
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 1.10.10 PM.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just popping in to give some perspective on a bowtie using a simple drawing and some big generalizations. If you think of an oval diamond as two rounds sitting next to each other (yellow), the blue area is the bowtie. That is caused because the distance from the center of each "round" is not equal to the center of the stone. The longer the stone, the further away those circles are from each other. So, the physical area of blue (bowtie) increases. The closer together (even overlapping), the less of a bowtie area. So, all ovals (OO aside) will have a bowtie. The faceting in that middle area tend to have long facets. What you are looking for is that the bowtie is not persistent, lacks flash, or is visible at over many angles of rotation. You want a lively bowtie area that is not dead or flat in most angles. The ASET posted by @jaimem123 suggests a negative bowtie because the only area showing strong light return is in that area. There is a lot of white throughout the stone and only the tips are also strong. If there was more red and green (and less white) then the prominence of the bowtie would be diminished. If the whole stone is lively, you see that bowtie less.

There is another 'flavor' of oval which we often call a cushiony oval. Its an oval where they facets at the center bowtie area area shortened and more numerous and that breakup the bowtie. I think of them as a something between a oval and cushion.

For short, PSers just say "bowtie" but usually we mean a negative bowtie.

upload_2018-3-12_8-56-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-12_8-52-37.png
    upload_2018-3-12_8-52-37.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
  • upload_2018-3-12_8-54-20.png
    upload_2018-3-12_8-54-20.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 14

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander this is most helpful!!!! Thank you so much. I suppose where I am still confused is - if the ASET example I provided has a lively center - which it does - this is a good thing according to your comments ? However in this situation it might not be a great stone bc it’s lacking strong light return in other areas ? Interesting - this might also explain why I’m more drawn to rovals (ratio of 1.34ish) as I can see the bow tie lesss. Thank you so much !

TSR120

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am still waiting for ASET on the other stone I posted. The JA ones that JD posted are beautiful so I am considering going up on the budget as well. I am still unclear on how to read the ASET, it sounds like the less white area the better though, if I am reading all this correctly. The more light return the more sparkle?

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am still waiting for ASET on the other stone I posted. The JA ones that JD posted are beautiful so I am considering going up on the budget as well. I am still unclear on how to read the ASET, it sounds like the less white area the better though, if I am reading all this correctly. The more light return the more sparkle?

I’m learning too my friend !! I have found it helpful to search on PS for oval ASET images - there are some good posts but I think of all the things I’ve learned about diamonds in he past several months - ASET are the hardest!! I’m no expert but from what I understand - it’s not only about ggreens and reds but also about symmetrical blues etc ! So much to learn. Do keep us posted - also I would check B2C - prices are great. I have two ovals on the way from there toconside myself

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP, if you are going up on budget, would you consider an OO, to pick up quality? Perhaps a smaller stone?

TSR120

Rough_Rock
Hm, for some reason I think I looked at the OP’s previous G VS2 oval. It doesn’t appear to have a bad bow tie on the video. We’d like to see a bit more red where all the white is in the aset but you’re right that red isn’t necessarily bad in the center. Thank you for noting this!

You can also search on Enchanted Diamonds as I believe they have asets with their inventory.

So is this one a bad choice? I am confused lol @JDDN
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/oval-diamond-1.53-carat-g-vs2-yd1887156

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeek. Yes. That is not desirable.

I don't always get on oval threads since most are not well cut, but I do like the facet pattern on this one. Relatively few have good light return; he may not find one a whole lot better.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't always get on oval threads since most are not well cut, but I do like the facet pattern on this one. Relatively few have good light return; he may not find one a whole lot better.
I agree that finding well cut ovals is very hard. I've been searching and not found much that was amazing. This is the only one I can find to recommend without much worry. I would ask for an IRL video.
https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/1.49-Oval--GIA-G-VS2-diamond-stock-16479-cert- {looks pretty nice}

GoodOldGold and DiamondsbyLauren are two vendor who are great at selecting fancy cuts.

These have potential. You can request up to 3 ASET from JA (they have them for some and not all stones. You should put anything you like on hold).
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4321664
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4521260

OP have you looked at Opulence Ovals by August Vintage Inc? They are the "super ideal" of the oval cutting - the only in the world.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ducts/1-5ct-g-si1-august-vintage-oval-1649420, need to bump budget 5.74 - 8.32 x 4.62
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ducts/1-2ct-d-si1-august-vintage-oval-1621255, in budget 5.47 - 7.78 x 4.32

Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgFOLTkhJS1/?hl=en&taken-by=augustvintage

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While looking at @rockysalamander’s
photo (awesome demonstration, btw), one must also consider facet size and contrast, within the stone. Some bow ties are far more noticeable than others due to facet size contrast across the stone. If you can find an oval that has more consistent facet size across the diamond, the bow tie “blends” more, and is not so noticeable. That, paired with great cut, and patterning makes for a beautiful oval.
I* am a fan of broad, flashy facets in fancy cuts. The “chopped ice” effect in many fancies is not my cup of tea, and tends to look messy. The bow tie usually is more obvious in stones with the “crushed ice” effect, and I* find it distracting. This is the phenomenon that makes finding a really good oval (OO, aside) extremely difficult.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results