shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on JA Oval

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all - trying to collect as much info as I can as I narrow my search.

Would love opinions on this oval: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.15-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4302126
- what is odd is that it seems GIA did two reports - i've asked the folks at JA. the first one - GOOD symm. The second one - VERY Good symm. If you look at the outline of the diamond the symmetry doesn't look like a "normal" oval if that makes sense - (edit: further research this has 6 facets and i'm used to seeing 8 on the report). I appreciate all of your help - even though I have been trying to find the perfect diamond for a few months - i am learning quite a lot. I also absolutely love the AV opulence but want to cross all my t's.

here's most recent GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1275956429

Would love thoughts on bowtie etc :) thank you!

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I like the appearance of this oval. All six mains fire up very nicely. No bowtie.
Second, I don't know what exactly happened with the reports, of course. I guess JA or the diamond supplier/cutter challenged GIA's initial symmetry grading. If that's what happened, I think it is a good sign. That means the diamond supplier or JA cares about this particular stone.

Ask JA the reason for two different reports. Also ask for the ASET image.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! Yes I like the appearance to - I am going to get ASET images. I was worried that the 6 facet would play a role in it having a bowtie or with it's fire/brilliance - will wait for ASET to confirm.

I spoke with JA and the rep said that sometimes GIA goes back to a stone if there is a conflict with the grading as you may have metnioned - he was unable to provide more info but I will contact them when they are open tomorrow.

Many thanks for your opinion! I was worried about the 6 facet - not sure I've ever even seen a 6 in person - I suppose all the more reason to consider all options!

First, I like the appearance of this oval. All six mains fire up very nicely. No bowtie.
Second, I don't know what exactly happened with the reports, of course. I guess JA or the diamond supplier/cutter challenged GIA's initial symmetry grading. If that's what happened, I think it is a good sign. That means the diamond supplier or JA cares about this particular stone.

Ask JA the reason for two different reports. Also ask for the ASET image.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also really like the look of this oval and the way it was faceted. I agree that the fact that the initial report was challenged is a good sign. OP, ask JA for their “advantage pricing”

Also, could you possibly order this and the opulence oval and select the one you like more?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow OP, you are all over the place.......good for you to get info you need!

Experts will have to weigh in on the JA Oval, but if you look at the angle of the video, its from the side, not looking face down, so does this hide the bowtie? If it has the bowtie, will be you be unhappy. The Opulent Oval claims to get rid of that and the dead zones on the north/south corners.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hahah yes i am @WillyDiamond. BF wanted to propose months ago but i haven't found my perfect stone & i refuse to settle. i so appreciate this lovely community of experts and enthusiasts and am so grateful for everyone's time & knowledge :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was having higher hopes for the aset because I liked the way the oval looked too. Unfortunately, asets for ovals are never pretty unless you are
looking at an Opulent Oval.
Ovals come in 4, 6, 8 centered, 8 offset, and 10 mains (just FYI).

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you. Is this not a Good stone in your opinion and not worth seeing @tyty333
I was having higher hopes for the aset because I liked the way the oval looked too. Unfortunately, asets for ovals are never pretty unless you are
looking at an Opulent Oval.
Ovals come in 4, 6, 8 centered, 8 offset, and 10 mains (just FYI).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.. I am with tyty. It is rather dissapointing.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
oh noooo. Bad compared to most ovals ? So not worth inspecting in person ?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in the suprised by how bad that ASET look compared to the video.

Examples of ASET that look good for an oval. From past threads (stone sold long ago), this is the kind of ASET we'd rather see. There is red and green spread throughout and more red/green than white.

upload_2018-3-4_17-11-13.png

I like this one every more as it has red and green at the tips.
upload_2018-3-4_17-13-49.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What budget and specs are we working with?

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG my fellow diamond lover - I know - they are just outstanding. and your finished product is a masterpiece! This is the ASET of the one I am eying (scroll down) - tried to paste picture but it's not working!

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...ucts/2-41ct-h-si1-august-vintage-oval-1670852

Just for the sake of comparison, here's the ASET on my Opulence Oval.
1.53 Opulence Oval4.jpeg
And a link to the video of the completed ring. https://www.instagram.com/p/BfNGU8uBFUJ/?taken-by=augustvintage

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 7.54.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 7.54.36 PM.png
    479.3 KB · Views: 16

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much - I really appreciate you helping to educate me . Even the rep at JA told me that the ASET was "good" for an oval.

Count me in the suprised by how bad that ASET look compared to the video.

Examples of ASET that look good for an oval. From past threads (stone sold long ago), this is the kind of ASET we'd rather see. There is red and green spread throughout and more red/green than white.

upload_2018-3-4_17-11-13.png

I like this one every more as it has red and green at the tips.
upload_2018-3-4_17-13-49.png

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um yeah, I am sorry but I would take the smaller spread of the Opulence oval and its amazing performance over this one any day of the week. OP this one is a no for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um yeah, I am sorry but I would take the smaller spread of the Opulence oval and its amazing performance over this one any day of the week. OP this one is a no for me.

I agree. Modern ovals have never appealed to me because of their poor light return. The Opulence ovals are soooo far superior to generic ones.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree. Modern ovals have never appealed to me because of their poor light return. The Opulence ovals are soooo far superior to generic ones.

Agree with both of these. I would take the smaller spread of the Opulence oval any day over the diamond you posted from JA. The Opulence will appear much larger than the JA stone because of the edge-to-edge light return.

I'm seeing more and more videos of these opulence ovals, and I'm astonished every time. It's truly one of the most beautiful cuts I've seen. Love the work that August Vintage is doing to bring beautiful, unique cuts to the market. :)

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm having a hard time learning about the ASET imaging but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I am not sure if I am willing to sacrifice spread for opulence - it's something i am grappling with. Months ago a little bowtie wouldn't have bothered me - now I am paralyzed with analysis. I don't need the perfect stone - I just need the perfect one for me :) . Beauty, size and quality are important.

What do we think of these everyone ? @rockysalamander @TreeScientist @Starfacet @diamondseeker2006 @SimoneDi @tyty333 ? I think i got everyone :)

I hope it is OK to tag.. if I am bugging you guys please let me know - I am determined to find my stone this week/next week!!! These are from my friend in India who works in the diamond industry .... First one - seems to have leakage around some of the edges - which i am personally OK with since this will be set in a halo. Does the blue in the center suggest a bow tie?

Diamond 1: 2.51 SI 1 ex/ex . Here is a loupe video: https://d1s5m21q2l18ke.cloudfront.net/l10db3pol17.HTML and regular video here:
GIA: : https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5192002875

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 3.24.23 AM.png

Diamond 2: 2.30 G VVS2 ex/ex. here is loupe video : http://agft01.s3.amazonaws.com/pics/VIDEOS/1808740.html

And regular video:
**NO ASET FOR THIS ONE :( **
GIA: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6282110861

Thank you all so much!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASET images are only going to show poor light return, so I wouldn't worry about not having one on a generic oval.

Of these two, I like the second one much better. Nice color and clarity. Smaller table and larger crown. More attractive than the first one, in my opinion.

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ASET images are only going to show poor light return, so I wouldn't worry about not having one on a generic oval.

Of these two, I like the second one much better. Nice color and clarity. Smaller table and larger crown. More attractive than the first one, in my opinion.

Thank you so much @diamondseeker2006 . Do you notice a prominent bow tie in either ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the first one at all. But I do not see a prominent bow tie in the second one. I think it's pretty good overall for an oval.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jaimem123, I'm still partial to the Opulence product, so I guess I'm out of the loop at this point. No pun intended. :D

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with DS - the second one is the one I prefer. I still prefer the look and performance of the Opulence. I also think that your small ring size doesn’t demand a super large oval expecially considering that you will be placing it in a halo.
I added 1.5mm for halo and did a comparison between the Opulence and the new G stone:
0A97DEDB-6847-407C-914D-04746B9FD0DC.jpeg

SparklenHue123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Starfacet oh i totally understand!! once you go opulent how could you ever go back to oval i am sure! i am going to see some more videos of the 2.41 opulence - it is still a very strong contender for me ... but this is a 1 time ring and i am REALLY going as far as i can reach to make sure i've done my very best to consider the best of the best options. we shall see and many thanks!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starfacet i am REALLY going as far as i can reach to make sure i've done my very best to consider the best of the best options. we shall see and many thanks!
And that is what you should do so you feel totally sure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results