shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice in Choosing Between Several Diamonds

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am searching for the "perfect" round lab diamond for my engagement ring and would very much appreciate some expertise in evaluating a few stones. My primary search criteria has been 1.8-2.0 carat, ideal, G+, VS1+ and I've looked for more specific table%/depth%/crown angle/pavilion angle numbers based on what I've learned from this wonderful forum.

I've copied links below for some diamonds that I'm considering requesting to view in-person. I plan to view the diamonds using an ASET and IS but I'm not able to get IS images ahead of an in-person viewing. These all have an HCA score between 0.9-1.5. Unfortunately, 2 of them don't have a video available. Which of these diamonds should I request to view in-person? Are there any "red flags" or diamonds you would exclude from the list? Do any of these diamonds look like they might be have brown or blue undertones from the growth process?

1. (can't video link)

2. (can't find video)

Please let me know if you'd like me to share HCA reports or any other diamond details. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #5 best.

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback, Kim! :) #5 is a bit more expensive than the others but still within budget so it may be worth it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 1 and 5 (can't comment on the ones without a video)

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
Thank, lovedogs! Do you think that 1 has a brown undertone? I'm a newbie and I know that 1 and 2 are rated as G in color but they look more yellow than I expected them to.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank, lovedogs! Do you think that 1 has a brown undertone? I'm a newbie and I know that 1 and 2 are rated as G in color but they look more yellow than I expected them to.

I definitely think 5 is whiter than 1

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the feedback, Kim! :) #5 is a bit more expensive than the others but still within budget so it may be worth it.

What is the price range on these?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was thinking this too. Not a brown undertone but more tint than I expected for a G. I would probably stay in the DEF range for
IGI if you want to stay white/white. I'm going to assume that G in a GIA range would be whiter than an IGI G.

What do you guys think... @Kim N, @lovedogs , and @DejaWiz I'm trying to learn for my own sake. What have you guys noticed
with color between the two different labs?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking this too. Not a brown undertone but more tint than I expected for a G. I would probably stay in the DEF range for
IGI if you want to stay white/white. I'm going to assume that G in a GIA range would be whiter than an IGI G.

What do you guys think... @Kim N, @lovedogs , and @DejaWiz I'm trying to learn for my own sake. What have you guys noticed

It's not so much the color grading differences between the labs, but the body color/hue between the growth methods (and even the differences between growers) that would be more of a concern, to me.
The first one does appear to have a slight yellow-brown hue which can be pretty common to encounter with CVD, based on my own experience searching for diamonds.
It's not extreme, in my opinion:

Screenshot_20240207-101426-793.png

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
What is the price range on these?

These are the prices:
1. $1137
2. $1248
3. $1332
4. $1337
5. $1660

I have found some of these exact diamonds listed on loosegrowndiamond.com for a few hundred less but I am planning to purchase through Frank Darling because they have a particular setting that I like and they unfortunately don't have a bring your own stone program.

otiecat392

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the insight! I was also wondering if it was related to color grading differences between GIA and IGI.

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
It's not so much the color grading differences between the labs, but the body color/hue between the growth methods (and even the differences between growers) that would be more of a concern, to me.
The first one does appear to have a slight yellow-brown hue which can be pretty common to encounter with CVD, based on my own experience searching for diamonds.
It's not extreme, in my opinion:

Screenshot_20240207-101426-793.png

Thanks, DejaWiz! Do you recommend avoiding CVD lab diamonds?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the prices:
1. $1137
2. $1248
3. $1332
4. $1337
5. $1660

I have found some of these exact diamonds listed on loosegrowndiamond.com for a few hundred less but I am planning to purchase through Frank Darling because they have a particular setting that I like and they unfortunately don't have a bring your own stone program.

Have you asked if they price-match?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
They used to price-match but don’t anymore, unfortunately

Yep. It's super annoying but a smart business move I guess because people fall in love with their simple classy settings and its easier to purchase all in one place than commission a similar custom setting. But they charge way more for diamonds than most places. I personally would just buy the stone you want from the cheapest place and have the setting custom made by someone like David Klass.

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
Yep. It's super annoying but a smart business move I guess because people fall in love with their simple classy settings and its easier to purchase all in one place than commission a similar custom setting. But they charge way more for diamonds than most places. I personally would just buy the stone you want from the cheapest place and have the setting custom made by someone like David Klass.

I agree, it's a smart move for them! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I believe DK can be pricy sometimes, so definitely comparison shop. If the price difference is small enough, might be better to go through Frank Darling. But the DK piece might be easier on the pocket and a guaranteed beauty.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I believe DK can be pricy sometimes, so definitely comparison shop. If the price difference is small enough, might be better to go through Frank Darling. But the DK piece might be easier on the pocket and a guaranteed beauty.

I also had Adiamor custom make me a setting similar to a FD setting and it came out perfect. And they priced match!

otiecat392

Rough_Rock

Yeah I'm thinking FD might be cheaper in the end than having a custom setting made somewhere else

otiecat392

Rough_Rock
I also had Adiamor custom make me a setting similar to a FD setting and it came out perfect. And they priced match!

That's great to know about Adiamor. I'll check them out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results