shape
carat
color
clarity

Second wave of COVID-19?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I totally get it, hopefully there isn't a second wave.

However the schools will be opening up with all kinds of protocols, possibly half days or staggered days for students as well as masks. I'm not sure it's worth it to send the kids back even without another wave if they are only in school two full days a week, or if my six year old has to wear a mask all day. We are talking about schools that are not air conditioned with possibly stifling heat and five and six year olds with masks on, asthmatic kids wearing them, kids with other special needs etc.

I'm not against masks at all, we wear them whenever we go out but between the masks and possible major schedule changes AND the possibility (even if remote) of getting them to adjust to all of that and then having to pull them out.

I'm leaning towards it not even being worth trying in the fall considering all of that.

I cannot imagine having children and having to make this difficult decision. I feel for all the parents. I don't know what my sister will do but right now she says if schools open she is sending them. She has to go to work and so does her dh and they cannot leave them at home alone all day. I really feel for everyone in this situation.

I am hoping so hard that we don't experience a second and third wave of this.

My only advice is (and I know you are doing this already probably but it just bears repeating and I repeat it to myself every single day) one day at a time and one hour at a time when that gets to be overwhelming. So much is going on in the world and if it was just Covid 19 it would be difficult enough but with everything else sometimes I think can we make it? And then I realize we have no choice but to keep plugging away...when one is going through hell just keep on going.

Sending you lots of good wishes and sending everyone healthy vibes. And keep reminding ourselves that tomorrow will be a brighter and better day. Hopefully that tomorrow isn't too far off. And in the meantime one day, one hour at a time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did someone say ice cream?

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.38.55 PM.png

Yummmm. Ice cream is a good treatment for anything that ails us. At least for the time it takes to eat it the world seems a bit sweeter. Sometimes I have it twice in one day but :shhh: don't tell anyone 8). Wishing an ice cream day for all.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Covid-19 is something we would have to live with, like flu. So yes to second and subsequent recurrences.

I also believe there will be other new global pandemics in future, either man-made or acts of nature.

South West England where I live is currently one of 2 areas with the highest R value, which does not come as a surprise to me, based on the recent events of people flocking to beaches and other open areas when the lockdown restrictions were eased, where social distancing was difficult to practice.

I feel sorry for the locals who may have to endure localised lockdown due to tourists flooding to the area.

I am still not comfortable in going out and about to places where social distancing is not possible, with no plan to travel on public transport or board a plane in the near future.

I bought some face masks before the requirement of wearing them on public transport was announced, as I could see that coming. And I knew the hair salon that I frequent would require their clients to wear masks as part of their re-opening conditions as confirmed by the owner a couple of days ago when she booked me in for a hair cut in late July 2020.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also believe there will be other new global pandemics in future, either man-made or acts of nature.

I agree completely. This won't be the last pandemic. Not even close. Just hope that we are better equipped to deal with future pandemics having experienced this one. If we can learn and improve and better deal with the next one and the one after that would be ideal.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@dk168 I am in Yorkshire. I miss going to Whitby. I miss being near the sea but I know it will be absolutely heaving. Narrow winding streets and tiny quaint shops does not make social distancing easy. ::)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree completely. This won't be the last pandemic. Not even close. Just hope that we are better equipped to deal with future pandemics having experienced this one. If we can learn and improve and better deal with the next one and the one after that would be ideal.

Agree.

In a way, I wish the next one would occur within a generation, so that we do not become complacent and cut down healthcare and other spending as being non-essential.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I am in Yorkshire. I miss going to Whitby. I miss being near the sea but I know it will be absolutely heaving. Narrow winding streets and tiny quaint shops does not make social distancing easy. ::)

I am in Wiltshire and have not seen an influx of tourists unlike certain parts of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall.

Since lockdown, I have avoided walking along the canal tow path with the dog as parts of it are very narrow, which is a shame as I live close to the Kennet and Avon canal.

I had planned to stay in a B&B in Dorset and go to beach with the dog over Easter before lockdown, and would love to do so now. However, I know Sandbank, our favourite beach, would be heaving. Besides, it is not exactly an essential journey, and I do not wish to be a burden to the emergency services.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I really am not sure my state isn't still on it's first wave, let alone a second wave. Cases have been going up with Saturday our highest total yet. Although testing has increased and that may partly be the reason, more concerning is that hospitalizations are up and testing positivity is now hovering around 10% rather than the 7% previously reported. Just returned from our coastal home and it's just packed with out-of-staters from Covid ridden states and hardly a mask in sight. Not much social distancing observed either. And now it looks like I may have been exposed, too. The small family owned fish market that we shopped at on Tuesday just closed for 2 weeks as an employee tested positive on Friday. Previously when we shopped there we were able to order outside and they brought our order out to us. This time, though, we ordered outside, but had to go in this very small room to pay and pick up- and none of the employees were wearing masks!! We did have masks on but they don't really protect us much. We weren't in there very long, but with such a contagious virus I'm still worried. I haven't been able to find out yet if the infected person was working when we were there, but will self quarantine for the next 8 remaining days and will continue to investigate whether the Covid positive person was working that day.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We just had our toddler and infant start back to daycare, 6 days later its closed because of one family throwing a party and 5 members contracting COVID (3 of which attend the daycare). 7 people now have it and the daycare is closed for 2 weeks, so yes, I am absolutely certain a 2nd wave is coming if it’s not here already.

many cities are reporting a rise in infected because people wanted that Memorial Day party

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did someone say ice cream?

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.38.55 PM.png

Yummmm. Ice cream is a good treatment for anything that ails us. At least for the time it takes to eat it the world seems a bit sweeter. Sometimes I have it twice in one day but :shhh: don't tell anyone 8). Wishing an ice cream day for all.

I'm so anxious and incredibly saddened at the state of the world today...but your posts always manage to cheer me up. I'm taking the kids out for icecream right now! Thank you for the inspo :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hospitalizations are now going up in Florida. Get ready y'all......

I’m sure we are close behind you. Look at the beaches here. No social distancing whatsoever and they have never been so crowded. It’s a weekday but it is more crowded than a usual summer weekend. Every day it’s like this now.

A16586DC-7E33-48B3-AAD4-D918161DF3B3.jpeg

5634D9C7-68FF-4FCF-91BE-DE894949C2CE.jpeg

I have video that shows the full picture but for now you get the idea.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I was talking to a good friend of mine who said that the first part of this has to do with the opening, the 2nd will have to do more with the protests, and thats where its going to be the worst.

But basically there's upticks in areas of FL that didn't see big upticks before that are. I'm HOPING that it will not be too bad, but some hospitals have a steady stream of people that they're starting to not be able to handle.... these are areas are more country so don't have the hospital capacity that urban areas do.

Oh yea and one more thing, people are going to be PISSED at Disney. I'm looking over the new guidelines and they're strict. lets see how enforced they'll be.

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People should have the good sense enough to stay away from Disney. What a sh*t show that’s going to be.

S

SallyB

I need to have my gallbladder removed. It’s pretty scary trying to weigh the pros and cons of surgery now vs. waiting.

We just got a notice that our “luxury” apartment development is going to reopen the indoor pool and gym, which kinda ticks me off. I‘ve been stressed about sharing hallways and elevators for months. Now we might have a 2nd wave right in our own building. :angryfire:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
As long as the hospitals don't get overwhelmed....that was the goal. Flatten the curve (as we did) does not prevent people from being infected....it allows them to be infected at a rate we can handle. We've chosen to rip the band-aid off slowly. That may be as good as it gets.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as the hospitals don't get overwhelmed....that was the goal. Flatten the curve (as we did) does not prevent people from being infected....it allows them to be infected at a rate we can handle. We've chosen to rip the band-aid off slowly. That may be as good as it gets.

The problem is if the states/cities don't open wisely and carefully the hospitals can and will become overwhelmed. If this behaves like the pandemic of 1918-1919 the second wave will be much worse than the first.

Of course it is all a big question and we don't know anything for sure except that we don't know much still about this novel virus. But slow and steady and cautiously is how we should proceed. To prevent the hospitals from getting overwhelmed. If reopening causes a big increase in cases we need to slow down and go back and start more slowly. It's better to not have to backtrack of course and just be smart and cautious when we first reopen and continue to reopen. JMO.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy @missy That is quite scary given what the tri-state has been through. I imagine most are still ‘off’ from work to explain the crowd on a Tuesday. :(
Today NJ ended the SIP and is allowing graduations of up to 500 attendees. NY is allowing 150 presently.
I am nervous of another wave. I don’t want to begin school in September from home. How will I meet the new students? Will we move up with this year’s class to avoid that? Too many unanswered questions for me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The issue I'm seeing is that some hospitals who NEVER got overwhelmed and they're getting that way now and the worst of it is that they're in semi rural areas. Too many states opened way too early, going through opening phases way too quick.

Too many are getting complacent and not wearing masks (which is bad!) I cancelled my gym membership, too many idiots who think they're invincible or think its still "a fake made up virus" :roll2:

The protests didn't help and I think we're going to see some nasty numbers from that.

I would hate to think it would force a 2nd closing of some businesses especially restaurants, but it might well do just that.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People should have the good sense enough to stay away from Disney. What a sh*t show that’s going to be.

I think some of the guidelines are designed to keep some people away yes. But you know how hard headed folks are...

ORLANDO, Fla. (CBS12) - Disney World parks are set to reopen in July with new guidelines in place.

The guidelines say anyone visiting from out of state must adhere to the Florida Department of Health's guidelines about who is under isolation or quarantine orders. Gov. DeSantis in March ordered anyone traveling from the Tri-State area into Florida would need to quarantine for two weeks.

Guests ages 2 and up will be required to wear proper face coverings except while swimming or seated for dining.

The parks are also encouraging people to use cashless or contactless forms of payment to make purchases.

For the full guidelines, or to download the My Disney Experience app for the latest information, click here.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
A second wave(if we were ever truly out of the first) is certainly happening now. There was a segment addressing this on NBC nightly news today. It's going to get potentially ugly, with possible emergency declarations by states in the coming weeks.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are slowly starting to reopen here in the UK, but still no hairdressers, dentists etc, where close contact is unavoidable. We are seeing huge falls nationwide now with only around 400 patients currently in ICU, but there were many, many people out over the Bank Holiday weekend & the Floyd protests this last week. Glad to see the majority of the protesters do what was asked of them, which was to stay peaceful & keep 2m apart. Here's hoping things keep moving steadily forward.

We are going to be operating a Localised Shutdown policy going forward, with track & trace getting up & running. If an area sees an increase & the R value (reproductive rate) goes above 1 in any region, full lockdown will be back in place for said region.

Yesterday it was announced that schools will not be opening for all year groups until Sept, just the few crucial year groups already planned, which has been put back another week as the data isn't quite there yet. Another review is happening late this afternoon & we have a video call with the Head in the morning to see where we're at.

I am happy so far with these proposals. Hand washing & social distancing is key. Life must go on, but as safely & sensibly as possible. And if & when I am told to, I will enter full lockdown mode again. I am still not doing anything more than our daily walks & weekly shop, but yesterday I was able to drive to my besties house, sit in the garden & have a coffee with her. She's a Dr & recovered from Covid last month, so is now back at work. I took my hand gel & wipes, but how lovely it was to see her beautiful smiling face for real rather than on a screen!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I knew it was coming as soon as they opened up our beaches. All the tourists flocked in and we are experiencing a surge that is sending us in the wrong direction for our schools to be able to open. Nobody listens.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wrote to the governor of NJ. I doubt I’ll receive a reply but we’ll see. The beaches and boardwalks are too crowded. Hospitals are going to become overwhelmed with this next wave. :/

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Most of what I've seen does seem to indicate that transmission is much less likely outdoors than inside, so I'm hoping that crowds on the beach and at the protests won't be as badly affected as it looks like they might be. But, yes, I'm definitely concerned.

Living in what has been a hotspot, I know plenty of people who have had it and every single one in the over-30 group still has some lingering effects (and many of them are 3 months out). Even mild cases in fit, healthy people are no joke. Our doctor said last week that she lost two young, healthy patients with no preexisting conditions--one who had a mild case to a pulmonary embolism, post-recovery.

I have some real respect for both the mightiness of this virus and the unknowns about the long-term effects. Please don't be complacent.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll live with COVID just as we do with seasonal flu. Those who are at greater risk for becoming seriously ill will need to take greater precaution, just like they should every flu season or in other times of viral/bacterial outbreaks. More densely populated areas will be hotspots, as usual, and the vast majority of areas will not see a lot of change. The number of cases isn't a thing... there will always be cases... more cases = greater immunity, which is a good thing. What matters are cases that require more serious intervention, like hospitalization, and those resulting in death.

What I do believe, however, is that the American people (as well as employers) will be much less willing to participate in another shut down, especially if it negatively affects their finances to a large extent. In the majority of areas, there have not been that many cases which resulted in death or even required hospitalization, but many people in less affected areas have literally lost their livelihoods... never to recover.

I work with a ton of different physicians and other medical professionals, all of whom agree that the complete (and continued) shutdown, as well as the majority of continued restrictions are overkill, and, in large part, unnecessary. Even experts in the field have admitted this, but the damage is done. Businesses are now worried about public perception, and lots of people still worry they'll "catch Covid-19 and die" if they leave their homes. Very sad.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
77.9 million people in the US have high blood pressure, the deadliest preexisting condition to combine with COVID.

34.2 million people have diabetes, the second deadliest.

That’s over 100 million people, give or take, that are at great risk for dying of COVID. That’s a third of our society. If one in every three people are at great risk for dying of COVID, it seems very logical to me to to take a cautious approach.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was reported today that cases are on the rise in 12 states since the Memorial Day weekend. They are predicting another 100,000 deaths by September.

How can anyone think this is winding down and nothing to worry about?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
now that my own country is currently covid free (20 days no new cases, everyone is recovered) i can now direct all my worry for you guys

the menorial day weekend worried me a lot
the protesters in the US this week i saw on the news all had masks on
- they did not here but the authorities are sure we had no community transmission

the UK is a constant worry

the lingering effects after one is non contagious sound awful and need more publicity
nobody needs covid 19 even if someone is fit and healthy and young

India is the new hot spot
South America .......its just heartbreaking

Gary and i are still going to maintane as much social distancing as we can
please take care everyone

echomomm

Rough_Rock
There will undoubtedly be a second wave this fall/winter. Kids in school simply cannot stay socially distanced, even if you reduce the number of students in a classroom. Then, combine that with custody agreements between parents in different homes/areas, and it will be spreading like wildfire by December, along with seasonal flu.

We know that social gatherings increase numbers, as Wisconsin's court decision demonstrates:

So we will likely see increases in numbers with the demonstrations, and then again in the fall. I am torn, as I understand that many parents cannot work without their children in school. However, anyone who thinks ANY school kids (from tots to teens) will maintain distances is kidding themselves. So even if we do not see large numbers of children suffering from the Covid related inflammatory disease, it is likely they will be carrying it to daycare providers, grandparents, parents, split parents/step parents, siblings and more. And by the time we realize how bad things are, it will be too late.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results