shape
carat
color
clarity

Second opinion - first time buyer

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone, In the process of picking out a lab diamond for my wife. Spent the last 3 days researching and getting overwhelmed. I think I got an idea of how to pick out a "proper" diamond. Budget is 3000$~5000$. Our target is at least 1.6 ct if not more; color G, VS2 or above, Ideal.

Went through almost all the big search engines (rarecarat and associated websites, other than JA which I think is overpriced). I limited my dimensions to the following:
Depth = 59 - 62
Table = 53 - 58
Pavilion angle = 40.6 - 41
Crown angle = 34 - 35
L/W = 1 - 1.03

I also kept an eye to striations which is a known common fault to CVDs. I also tried to get as much "8 arrows effect". Ive narrowed it down to the following 4 diamonds but need a second opinion (links hyperlinked):

1. 1.61 ct - F - VS1 - 3300$
  • Dimensions are good
  • small minor dots
  • no striation lines to my eye
  • very good "8 arrows effect"
2. 1.67 ct - F - VS1 - 3423$
  • Dimensions are good
  • small fault lines
  • good "8 arrows effect"
3. 1.61 ct - E - VS1 - 4212$
  • Dimensions on the higher end
  • no faults
  • average "8 arrows effect"
4. 1.65 ct - E - VVS2 - 4579$
  • Dimensions on the higher end
  • small fault lines
  • very faint striation lines to my eye
  • good arrows
If anyone can please take a look or even better suggest something I missed that's within my budget (I will buy you a starbucks gift card :) ), I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents for offer is to not worry too much about the striation lines. You won't see them in real life. I bought a lab Asscher and worried about the lines but once home, I was too blinded by the sparkle to be able to see, and I couldn't pick them up with a 10x loupe either.

I'd focus on all the other numbers as for mined stones.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
I prefer the two F stones to the two E for their proportions. This could also be an option: https://www.rarecarat.com/product/83877592.

Thats a good point but I think its a mental thing. I never noticed them but now since I see them I cant unsee them. Will try to convince the wife I guess.

May I ask what makes your pick more desirable than #1 and #2? Its substantially more expensive! Just curious about the way you “pick” diamonds so I can learn!

thank you!

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
Was told to tag the expert for opinion (by a redditor) @lovedogs if you dont mind :mrgreen2:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same! Do you think #2 is OK? Slightly more expensive and alot more weight. How would you rank the F’s?

I slightly prefer #2 to #1 for the higher crown angle and crown height. My pick isn't more desirable, and you're right, it's a lot more expensive. It would just be a different look, as it has a much smaller table.

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
I slightly prefer #2 to #1 for the higher crown angle and crown height. My pick isn't more desirable, and you're right, it's a lot more expensive. It would just be a different look, as it has a much smaller table.

Yeah I feel like Im inclined to #2 more! But again Im no expert. Will wait to see if I get any more opinions and pull the trigger tomorrow to get this done with haha.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run the preferred stone(s) through the HCA tool to check the scores, if you haven't already :)

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
#1 HCA of 1.0
#2 HCA of 1.67

Final opinions? I feel like #2 is better value but again dont know how "sensitive" HCA is to "sparkle"?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
HCA is more of a screening tool to reject flat out lesser quality cuts and offers some guidance of scintillation and fire but eh.... again, guideline.

The table size, 35 crown angle combined with the 40.8 pavillion should give off excellent fire, or "sparkle". =)

The only way to know if the striation affects performance is to see it in person, and for the combination of cut and price I'd be willing to buy this diamond and check it out in person.

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
HCA is more of a screening tool to reject flat out lesser quality cuts and offers some guidance of scintillation and fire but eh.... again, guideline.

The table size, 35 crown angle combined with the 40.8 pavillion should give off excellent fire, or "sparkle". =)

The only way to know if the striation affects performance is to see it in person, and for the combination of cut and price I'd be willing to buy this diamond and check it out in person.

Thanks for your opinion! I think Im going with it. Now just to decide if I should wait for my new CC to come in so I can put this purchase on it and get the welcome bonus..

How likely is it to sell within the next 5 days, who knows haha. Will decide with the wife I guess.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 is gone? I hope you got it! The best of the bunch!

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
#2 is gone? I hope you got it! The best of the bunch!

I am not sure, the link I put on yesterday is broken but I found one that is identical to the price so I am not sure if the link was updated. Can you take a look:

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
It seems #2 was sold the night of my post. Damn it :(. I guess #1 is the next best candidate.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Good news, was talking on chat with Yadav and actually #2 was placed on hold for some reason and she released it for me! Placed order for #2.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!

Fantastic! So excited for you. Please do come back and post pictures, as well as your thoughts once you receive it. :D

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
Really upset. Both #1 and #2 are sold. Just got informed by email. Oh well I need to spend another day looking for one. Sucks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the second 1.67 F VS1 link that you posted quite a lot.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Its gone unfortunately along with #1

What a bummer, but the good news is there are more diamonds out there!

I found this 1.7 , VS1, with a small table and higher crown angle for that fire aspect:

Distinctive Gems has a 1.63, F, VS2 that looks promising as well, look up the stock # 81531
https://www.distinctivegem.com/pages/diamond-labgrown-page

1.79, F, VS2 :

Or, if you are willing to utilize the top end of your budget for a guaranteed super ideal cut lab grown diamond, you can check out betterthandiamond.com , they have 1.62, G, VS2 for $5,100.08 in stock right now

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock

Thats still available. My wife is worried about those striations lines. Are they OK?

also what about the clarity characteristics in the certificate. What are those group of dots?

I have attached the old one which I thought was better.

can you tell me your opinion on it?
can I also have your input please? @OhShiny

if it is equiv to the old one I will go ahead and purchase it.

Attachments

• BFE042E6-DB13-4B6F-9F86-80FB4D3564B4.jpeg
    BFE042E6-DB13-4B6F-9F86-80FB4D3564B4.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 12

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized the first image on the page is just a sample image. You're right--it doesn't look as good as the other one.

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock
What a bummer, but the good news is there are more diamonds out there!

I found this 1.7 , VS1, with a small table and higher crown angle for that fire aspect:

Distinctive Gems has a 1.63, F, VS2 that looks promising as well, look up the stock # 81531
https://www.distinctivegem.com/pages/diamond-labgrown-page

1.79, F, VS2 :

Or, if you are willing to utilize the top end of your budget for a guaranteed super ideal cut lab grown diamond, you can check out betterthandiamond.com , they have 1.62, G, VS2 for $5,100.08 in stock right now

Will take a look at these tonight. Hoping to get a similar deal like #2 and will only push the budget to its limit if all hope is lost.

moustafelsawy

Rough_Rock

Can you guys tell me your opinion? I am worried about the dots on the table. Will those be an issue? How is the cut/price? any faults im missing
@Kim N @vintageinjune @OoohShiny

Trying to keep it between 1.6 ct - 1.7 ct and staying closer to 3500$ range, can go up to 4000$ if its a really really good one.

Cant run HCA unfortunately shows 0/3 available for the past few days...

Edit: Yadav reached back again and sent me this gem (dont know the price yet). I have attached the certificate. Yadav or dimenscaasi's gem is better? I also dont have pictures or a video of the Yadav gem yet.

Attachments

• LGM3E41219 (Yadav).png
    LGM3E41219 (Yadav).png
    591.7 KB · Views: 8
  • LGM3E44111 (Dimendscaasi).pdf
    765.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the proportions of the Yadav stone: smaller table, higher crown. At VS1 and no inclusions on the table, you will likely not see any inclusions. And it's cheaper than the Dimend stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results