shape
carat
color
clarity

Second guessing my cushion diamond purchase

Itsmeagain

Rough_Rock
IMG_5743.JPG IMG_5744.JPG IMG_5745.JPG IMG_5746.JPG I recently purchased a ring from Brilliant Earth and am having nagging second thoughts. First it was the crushed ice look, which I wasn't aware of until I got the ring and noticed that it looked nothing like my previous round brilliant stone. I got past this, but am now noticing dark shadows on each of the four sides of the stone. Brilliant Earth categorized this stone as an Super Ideal cut, which I understand is not typically used for cushion cuts. I was going to return the ring to have re-sized, but now I'm debating returning the ring because I'm so unsure if this is what a quality cushion diamond should look like. Here are the stats and pictures. Was this a good purchase? The stone was $15,530. Any help you could offer to either validate my concerns or alleviate them would be much appreciated. Thanks -

Carat: 2.42
Cut: Super Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: Vs1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: None
Table: 60%
Depth: 67%
Girdle: Slightly thick - thick

Last edited:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not familiar with cushions so I'll let others handle that part of the question.

However my opinion is if you don't like the way something looks just return it. It could be the world's rarest and most wonderful super ideal diamond but if you don't like it it's not doing its job.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think it sounds like you need a cushion expert to tell you this is a great or terrible stone; you don't love it, and it may be time to part ways. Likely you're still in your refund window frame.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my knowledge, cushion cuts don't get cut grades. And neither GIA nor AGS have a cut grade called "super ideal." And, if it doesn't knock your socks off now, it probably isn't going to. Sorry you're having doubts.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
For $15k I would return it. In my experience Brilliant Earth is slightly pricier than Blue Nile, James Allen and/or Whiteflash - is there anything there that catches your eye?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others...if you are having second thoughts now then you probably should act on it while you still have the chance.
Can you tell us the mm size of your stone. We might be able to find you a non-crushed ice cushion that gives you decent light
return light return but with lots of sparkles too.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with what others have stated. Return it! That is far to much money to spend on something that you don't absolutely love.

I think your reservations will continue you to grow and then a change will be more complicated and most likely more expensive.

Itsmeagain

Rough_Rock
I agree with the others...if you are having second thoughts now then you probably should act on it while you still have the chance.
Can you tell us the mm size of your stone. We might be able to find you a non-crushed ice cushion that gives you decent light
return light return but with lots of sparkles too.

Here are the measurements:

7.43 x 7.42 x 5.03

Thank you!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Send it back. Start over.
What do you LOVE about Cushions? Are you looking for the modern cut Cushion, or are you open to consider Antique/Vintage Cut Cushions?
Which of the 4 C's is your priority? Can you list them in order of importance to you?
Are you color sensitive, or do you enjoy warmer colors in diamonds?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You clearly have doubts, so return it. Then start a new thread and let us help you learn more about cushions before you buy again. There are actually cushions with ideal light performance and better diameters.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this what you are talking about or something else?
cushion.PNG

The other images where you have the stone really tilted...you will see that type of thing on most stones because
the light is not hitting the facets from the direction it should be so you will see some "mush".

This stone has a more definite faceting pattern and may* be something closer to what you would like (coming from
a round brilliant)? Let us know what you think you do like now that you have found something that you are not
so fond of.
Hold the shift down when you click on the link.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09038090

This is a great thread. The whole first section goes over a lot of different types of cushion cuts. You can look at them
and see which one appeals to you and let us know. In the mean time I would return the stone you have because
once you start questioning things it never tends to go away. $15k is a lot to spend for something that you are not
really sure about.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/

Last edited:

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely return it if you don't love it! You should ADORE IT. I nearly drove off the road one day admiring my ring :lol:

Itsmeagain

Rough_Rock
Is this what you are talking about or something else?
cushion.PNG

The other images where you have the stone really tilted...you will see that type of thing on most stones because
the light is not hitting the facets from the direction it should be so you will see some "mush".

This stone has a more definite faceting pattern and may* be something closer to what you would like (coming from
a round brilliant)? Let us know what you think you do like now that you have found something that you are not
so fond of.
Hold the shift down when you click on the link.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09038090

This is a great thread. The whole first section goes over a lot of different types of cushion cuts. You can look at them
and see which one appeals to you and let us know. In the mean time I would return the stone you have because
once you start questioning things it never tends to go away. $15k is a lot to spend for something that you are not
really sure about.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/

Yes, the circles you're showing in the photo is what I was referring to. They are on all sides. Thanks for the Blue Nile diamond link. It is beautiful and right up my alley. I am going to go look at some cushions in person before making a final decision on this ring. This reply was extremely helpful. Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your welcome...be sure to check out that cushion cut link so you know about all the different types of cushions there are. The ones with bigger facets
and higher crowns will produce more fire and bigger flashes. The ones with smaller facets (crushed ice) and lower crowns usually produced more
smaller twinkling lights. Of course each stone has to be evaluated on its own merits. We do have some cushion "experts" so if you have links to
images/stones you want an opinion on you can post them here (or on a new thread).

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And. remember, mall jewelry stores aren't going to have a large inventory of spectacular specimens. Even high-end stores will have limited well-cut cushions.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
I got past this, but am now noticing dark shadows on each of the four sides of the stone.

I'm curious, are you noticing these dark spots mostly in photos you've taken of your diamond, or also under normal viewing conditions in real life?

Whatever the merits of crushed ice diamonds may be, in my opinion it is borderline malpractice to market any crushed ice diamond as "super ideal". Even though the term "super ideal" doesn't have a standard definition, reputable vendors use this term to describe diamonds that are precision-cut to have a high level of three-dimensional optical symmetry -- crushed ice is the opposite of this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results