shape
carat
color
clarity

Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in class

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/09/14/elementary-school-teachers-wear-black-lives-matter-shirts-class

"Whitney said she wanted to start a discussion about race, particularly why people of color have higher incarceration rates and lower college graduation rates."

Really? :roll:

At an age when kids should be learning ABCs, addition/subtraction, and how to get along with others on the playground regardless of color ... instead, we're going to let young non-black children READ that their life doesn't matter because their teacher's shirt excludes them. Way to teach kids NOT to see color by highlighting that very thing.

And the school is supporting it! UFB! :shock:

I would pull my kid, and file a discrimination suit faster than they can write "BLM" on the whiteboard. :hand:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Seattle Elementary teachers to wear BLM t-shirts in clas

The shirts don't say white children don't matter, they are telling all children black people matter as much as everyone else and probably provide the children with a platform for discussing discrimination. Perhaps to be even more politically correct and to make you happy they should be wearing shirts that say all lives matter....

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

What the OP is probably saying is these children should be getting an education as in back to the basics so they can get into college and earn a good living.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They read children's books with similar themes of discrimination at school as "part of their education" so really wearing T-shirts that promote the same idea isn't going to harm anyone. People that believe the shirts are saying white lives or any other lives don't matter or matter less than black people obviously don't get what the shirts are saying, and I think they would be able to be used just like any other text or stimulus piece already used in classrooms to have a discussion about "getting along with everyone in the playground."

E B

Ideal_Rock

JoCoJenn|1473889837|4076595 said:
At an age when kids should be learning ABCs, addition/subtraction, and how to get along with others on the playground regardless of color ... instead, we're going to let young non-black children READ that their life doesn't matter because their teacher's shirt excludes them. Way to teach kids NOT to see color by highlighting that very thing.

The shirts were meant to spur a conversation, and so that is a) obviously not how the teachers would explain it, and b) not what it means in general.

That said, I can understand people finding them inappropriate at a public school, just as I would a "Jesus Saves!" shirt. I would be fine with (and as a parent of a 2nd grader, encourage!) age-appropriate BLM discussion as part of larger history lessons.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GOOD. I applaud this and wish more schools would follow suit.

And if you think this is discrimination, YOU are the willfully ignorant privileged problem.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

YOU are the willfully ignorant privileged problem.

Ignorant and privileged because we disagree? Really?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1473897188|4076647 said:
YOU are the willfully ignorant privileged problem.

Ignorant and privileged because we disagree? Really?

Yes. This is not insults, this is straight facts. The irony of
A. Being outraged over the BLM movement paired with
B. Threatening to sue for discrimination

are prime and textbook examples of ignorance to this issue.

You should take time to reflect, really really reflect on why you feel this way and then explore this line of thinking again.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Many schools have dress codes that prohibit clothing like graphic t-shirts. Obviously, the term "graphic" can mean different things to different people and I'm not saying that BLM t-shirts are graphic in any way. However, the BLM t-shirts are meant to send a message, stir emotion, etc. I don't think it's appropriate for teachers to wear BLM t-shirts to an elementary school. I don't feel this way because I find it offensive or that it sends a message that white lives don't matter. I don't feel it's appropriate because I don't care for any clothing that could be distraction to learning (and that's why they have dress codes in the first place). It's not the place for it and I'm surprised that with all of the dress codes that kids have to follow these days, that teachers don't have dress codes too.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Exactly mom.

This does not belong in a public school.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

You should take time to reflect, really really reflect on why you feel this way and then explore this line of thinking again.

There is a time and place for everything. And it is not in a public elementary school.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1473897947|4076654 said:

There is a time and place for everything. And it is not in a public elementary school.

Says you. An elementary school aged black child who has been told "The police aren't going to help you if you are in trouble" *might* feel differently.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

E B|1473894512|4076630 said:
That said, I can understand people finding them inappropriate at a public school, just as I would a "Jesus Saves!" shirt. I would be fine with (and as a parent of a 2nd grader, encourage!) age-appropriate BLM discussion as part of larger history lessons.

That is a BIG reason I have a problem with this, but I didn't want to delve into religion. Kids in many schools can't even wear an American flag on their clothing, cannot pray, are not permitted to wear other "ethnic" clothing and a slew of other things ... all with a goal of NOT offending others. This - in my opinion - is NOT equality because there is the potential someone WILL be offended by it.

Elliot86|1473895449|4076636 said:

And if you think this is discrimination, YOU are the willfully ignorant privileged problem.

Your comment is offensive and uncalled for. Who made you an authority on what other people are or are not permitted to be offended by? Am I not capable of being offended by something because I happen to be white? And here I thought we were ALL to be treated equally. :rolleyes:

FYI, since you need "discrimination" defined for you:
1. an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.
2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit:
racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

Wearing a shirt that makes the distinction of race in favor of one group IS discriminatory ... especially when worn by teachers, in a school!

If they wear it in a shopping mall, restaurant, or other NON-governmental place, I wouldn't care, and would chalk it up to their first amendment right; HOWEVER, since you cannot otherwise segregate people based on race in school, it seems this, too, should be banned.

And FTR, I am not in favor of ANY segregation for any reason; I AM for equality. And if kids cannot wear a "white lives matter" shirt (not that they should), then this shirt also has NO place in the school either.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1473898109|4076656 said:
Says you. An elementary school aged black child who has been told "The police aren't going to help you if you are in trouble" *might* feel differently.

Who is telling the elementary aged child that? The teacher? Then fire them! The parent? Then you educate them. With elementary aged kids, you bring a cop into school, let him/her share what he does, that he IS there to help kids, and you dispel the myth from "the horse's" mouth. You don't dispel myths with teachers wearing t-shirts.

And yes, I would consider suing the school. Not because I am ignorant or a racist; because MY child's rights matter also, and they are there to get an education; not an indoctrination.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ohhhh boy.

This is clearly an issue you are not going to think about. You're truly not going to start from square one and analyze the thinking that leads us to "Well, I think all lives matter."

I'll end on this, but this line of thinking makes about as much sense as saying "Yes climate change is an issue, but we don't need to talk about this in schools. All planets matter."

I'd also be very curious to know how solidarity with a group that has been and is currently being actively discriminated against regardless of age, in any violates your white child's rights.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Says you.

Yes says me and others here.

It is not appropriate for teachers to wear these T shirts in school.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1473893397|4076620 said:
The shirts don't say white children don't matter, they are telling all children black people matter as much as everyone else and probably provide the children with a platform for discussing discrimination. Perhaps to be even more politically correct and to make you happy they should be wearing shirts that say all lives matter....

But the shirts DON'T say "black lives matter as much as everyone else's"; only "black lives matter". If they said "all lives matter", THAT would promote inclusiveness & equality vs the divisiveness that "BLM" promotes. And THAT is what should be taught to children.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I guess another part of what bothers me about this is that schools have gotten sooooooooooo PC lately. Everyone walks around on egg shells and doesn't want to offend anyone (Holiday celebrations are modified or eliminated, etc.). I agree that I would treat the BLM shirts much like any other shirt that someone might be offended by (like the "Jesus Saves" shirt that was mentioned earlier) and they are not appropriate in school (if the school has a dress code, which I think most do these days).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1473898839|4076663 said:
Ohhhh boy.

This is clearly an issue you are not going to think about. You're truly not going to start from square one and analyze the thinking that leads us to "Well, I think all lives matter."

I'll end on this, but this line of thinking makes about as much sense as saying "Yes climate change is an issue, but we don't need to talk about this in schools. All planets matter."

I'd also be very curious to know how solidarity with a group that has been and is currently being actively discriminated against regardless of age, in any violates your white child's rights.

1) I have thought about it, as well as how we CAN promote and teach inclusion of ALL vs just "some".

2) climate change is not a constitutionally-protected matter, nor are "other planets."

3) it violates the white/Hispanic/Asian/Indian/etc. child's rights because it promotes segregation based on race ... by a government employee ... a government agency ... in a government-run institution.

It's not rocket (or climate) science.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1473899340|4076670 said:
I guess another part of what bothers me about this is that schools have gotten sooooooooooo PC lately. Everyone walks around on egg shells and doesn't want to offend anyone (Holiday celebrations are modified or eliminated, etc.). I agree that I would treat the BLM shirts much like any other shirt that someone might be offended by (like the "Jesus Saves" shirt that was mentioned earlier) and they are not appropriate in school (if the school has a dress code, which I think most do these days).

I totally agree with you! The ONLY reason there IS sensitivity about it is because there has been so much restriction on others' beliefs (not necessarily just religious) so as not to offend or inadvertently promote discrimination or offensive acts/activities, creating this very slippery slope. But that slope doesn't come to a screeching halt because one "group" suddenly doesn't want to be restricted from making THEIR statement. Either we want equality, or we don't. And I do, but it has to be fair and equal ... for everyone ... from every group. Anything less is NOT equality.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a "Asian lives matter" T shirt... :praise:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I searched the story myself to try to get a better grasp on it. I also tried to find out what the dress code policy was like for the Seattle Public School System. Oddly enough, I found this:
http://q13fox.com/2016/05/11/seattle-middle-school-students-create-petition-challenging-dress-code/
It's about a Seattle middle school, but it clearly states that students can't wear clothing that interferes with the learning process. It also stated that each school's dress code policy is different, so the elementary school in the article may have a very different dress code or none at all.
Again, I'm not offended by a BLM t-shirt, but I would agree that clothing should not interfere with learning and I think the t-shirts could cause a distraction.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1473900898|4076679 said:
I have a "Asian lives matter" T shirt... :praise:

Not allowed; you're suspended. :hand:

:razz: :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that if the specific school has a policy that no on is allowed to wear shirts or tees with a slogan on them everyone should follow that. If they are allowed to wear shirts or tees with slogans without profanity on them (which is the case in some schools) then I don't see why those shirts cannot be the basis as a starting point for a civilised discussion. No-one should feel the need to sue anyone, you should instead know as I pointed out above it is not teaching anything that children's books, children's novels and in fact units of work that deal with issues of race and discrimination don't already cover. Just like some schools teach religion as part of their day, and some do not. It depends on school policy.

I've never understood why white people find BLM tees offensive they were NEVER meant to be, their message black peoples lives matter as much as everyone else not more than. Children can't celebrate or learn about Christmas because that offends some people. If that is all you have to feel offended by or worry about in your life, maybe it's time to get over it.....

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I've never understood why white people find BLM tees offensive they were NEVER meant to be, their message black peoples lives matter as much as everyone else not more than.

Again, you are missing the point. No one here is debating the message but the fact that most public schools in the US have clothing policies. And this shirt would violate it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1473909516|4076742 said:
I've never understood why white people find BLM tees offensive they were NEVER meant to be, their message black peoples lives matter as much as everyone else not more than.

Again, you are missing the point. It is not the slogan but the fact that most public schools in the US have clothing policies. And this shirt would violate it.

No I agree with you, as I stated above IF they have policies they should make everyone teachers included follow them, if not then they should be allowed to wear what they like provided they have no profanity on them (which is actually the policy of most schools btw, students and staff are allowed to wear graphic tees (ones with writing) provided they have no profanity on them in many schools).

So the policies to my knowledge are shirts and tees with no slogans at all or they allow them to wear ones without profanity. A BLM shirt doesn't count as profanity.

If I was banned from wearing a BLM shirt I'd probably get one that said Cats lives matter and then tell the kids why I got banned from wearing the other shirt. So you see banning them probably doesn't stop the basis for a discussion.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Washington Middle School’s dress code states students can’t wear clothing that interferes with the learning process

Above is from a school in Seattle and similar wording is in my hometown as well.

So yes, those shirts would violate policy.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59|1473909911|4076749 said:
Washington Middle School’s dress code states students can’t wear clothing that interferes with the learning process

Above is from a school in Seattle and similar wording is in my hometown as well.

So yes, those shirts would violate policy.

Actually it depends how you define that, a shirt that evokes a discussion on discrimination IMHO doesn't "interfere with anyone's learning process" quite the opposite it engages them in thought. Even if you don't agree with the message it could still be used as a valuable starting point for such a discussion.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

It is hot button topic and it certainly would disrupt the school day.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1473895449|4076636 said:

+1
Well put. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results