shape
carat
color
clarity

Seasonality in diamond availability??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Is there a time of the year when more diamonds might be available than other times? I am an inveterate watcher of diamonds for sale on line and I noticed there were fewer of certain high color stones in 2.25 - 3 ct range. It could be my imagination or a coincidence.

I was wondering if something about the DeBeers distribution system could create more or less availability depending on time of the year. Anyone know?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2007 1:55:25 PM
Author:Beacon
Is there a time of the year when more diamonds might be available than other times? I am an inveterate watcher of diamonds for sale on line and I noticed there were fewer of certain high color stones in 2.25 - 3 ct range. It could be my imagination or a coincidence.

I was wondering if something about the DeBeers distribution system could create more or less availability depending on time of the year. Anyone know?
You are right..., there are fewer larger high quality well cut/polished Diamonds out on the open market. In the 2-4 carat range it is felt a bit less..., but obviously the larger you go (4 carat up) the scarcer it gets these days, and the premiums have their own rules!

I don''t think De Beers have the power to control the flow of rough Diamonds as they did before.... especially since they are limited to acquire Russian Rough Diamond material. The BIG question is: How will the Russians market their Diamonds in the near future!!!
Rumors are that De Beers is marketing whatever they dig out of the ground... Or purchase on the open market...

That is one of the reasons prices are constantly on the upward move...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Really? I thought DeBeers got diamonds in South Africa. How come now they can only get Russian rough? That seems like it would change the supply quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results