shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for pear Sapphire for e-ring!

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I'm very excited to be finally able to have a reason to post on this site!
I've been looking through old posts and can't believe how many beautiful stones I've seen that you all own!

I'm on the hunt for a pear shaped, untreated, medium to lighter blue sapphire around 2 carrots (well I'd like the stone to be around 10mm or more in length).The stone will be set sideways, and I think a shallower stone would be preferable, so it may end up being less carrots that way...

I've hunted around on many of the gem websites that were listed on pricescope, but didn't really find any options. Is there someone in particular I can ask to help me search, its becoming quite exhausting (and I've become too obsessed and don't get any of my other work done!)

I'm located in NYC and we already visited The Natural Sapphire Company with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have seen any stones?

Thank you!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
What kind of budget do you have?

Unfortunately pear-shapes are not that common in coloured stones. The issue with having a shallow stone is that the light will leak out of the bottom of the stone and you will have a big dead area, you really need to find a stone that is cut to have the right proportions to bring out the best in it.

(Hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but gemstones are measured in 'carats' not 'carrots'. A carat is equivalent to 0.2g.)

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Oops, I'm so silly yes, I meant carats!
Budget maybe up to $3,000. Do you think that is possible?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
midnighting1313|1310142042|2964731 said:
Oops, I'm so silly yes, I meant carats!
Budget maybe up to $3,000. Do you think that is possible?

For that size of stone I would suggest that you considered heated stones as well otherwise you are seriously restricting the number of stones that may fit your other criteria. If you really want untreated then I think you will need to drop the carat weight to the 1.5ct mark .

Is there a particular reason that you don't want heated stones?

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your insight!

I was thinking unheated as a personal preference...
Are better deals found online compared to instores? As a first time buyer, I'm a little clueless!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Much better deals and better choice online.

Do a search on here regarding the Natural Sapphire Company. I believe it is no longer a recommended vendor for various reasons...

Personally I don't have any issue with heat-treatment (I do with all other corundum treatments) and I'd rather buy a heated stone in exactly the colour and weight I wanted than compromise for the sake of something that is completely undetectable to the eye and yet carries a whopping great premium.

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Oh, I just did a search...Thanks.

I don't know what to do now... any suggestions?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider a pear shaped cabochon? I am guessing pear cabs might be easier to hunt down than the faceted ones, and might also be less expensive. Besides, the cab tends to have the feel of sitting low on the finger as most of its weight is at/near the bottom of the stone.

I remember someone on PS has a gorgeous pear-shaped star ruby halo ring. Sorry I cannot recall her name at the moment. She found that amazing ruby at a gem show (was it Tucson gem show?) with her husband, and I think she purchased it at a really really good price. You could try this route if there are gem shows in your area.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Yes, that stone is a little darker than what I'd like.
As for the cabochon, I definitely want the facets for the sparkle as its an engagement ring.

Thank you, I love your help!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1310156599|2964954 said:
TL|1310151588|2964875 said:
midnighting1313|1310147941|2964824 said:
Oh, I just did a search...Thanks.

I don't know what to do now... any suggestions?

Decent size for the $$$ and he can get a reputable lab memo (in fact, he'll probably get you one for free if you ask)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-93ct-UNHEATED...3374?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item4cef6f743e

I think that one will be too dark TL as the OP is looking for mid to light blue.

Ooops, sorry. :oops:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is represented as an unheated pear-shaped Blue Sapphire - it's a little shorter and maybe fatter than your preference, but it is a medium-to-medium-light blue and a very good price...

D&J%20pear%20Sapphire.jpg
vendor: D&J Rare Gems
eta: stats - 1.63ct - 8.0x5.4x4.6mm - Kolonne, Sri Lanka

I have purchased several stones from this vendor and while each has been better IRL than in photo, I am guessing this stone may well exhibit the bow-tie effect commonly seen in pears -- but at this price point if you like the color and decide the dimensions are workable for your project, it might be worth a look-see. Good luck!

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Wow, that is a good price! But still a little shorter than I would like.
I emailed a few custom cutters like Michael at Gemmshop, Peter Toracca, and Dana at Master Cut Gems. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.
I'd love to see any other stones you might find too!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Are you interested in having something custom cut?

If so I would check out Jeff White (probably out of your budget but no harm in asking, Dana at mastercutgems, and Dan Stair at Customgemstones.com. I think Dana and Dan will be more in your price range. I would also suggest looking at heated sapphires. Heated sapphires are extremely different from treated sapphires which is what I'm guessing you really want to stay away from. Heating is considered acceptable to many in the gemstone world for sapphires.

Goodluck.

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Yes, I'm looking into getting it custom cut so to explore all options! Seeing as I haven't quite found what i'm looking for...
Thanks for suggesting Dan Stair, I just reached out to him!

I'm fine with heated sapphires and would use them for other projects, but seeing as this is an e-ring, i'd like to use an unheated one.

midnighting1313

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I love the idea of this simple sapphire ring from conroy and wilcox.
Its a rose cut and I've done a bit of searching and it seems impossible to find loose sapphires in the rose cut.
Does anyone have any suggestion?
I'd still like the stone to be a lighter mid blue and nice clarity, not as included and cloudy as this conroy one...

Thanks!

169.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The pear from D&J looks beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results