shape
carat
color
clarity

Search for an OEC.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible that two stones with similar carat size have different mm? I figure it’s because one is deeper than the other.

I’m so torn between two oecs. Thought I made my decision but now am not sure. I hate being this way.

If you were me, what would you do?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Two stones with the same weight & depth can have seriously different spread - girdle width counts the most.

2p

I am rarely torn between choices; my problem is having very specific, very odd wants!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
There are 4 OECs. I have only video and for some reason, I can’t post them here.

The one that makes my heart sing has the smallest mm but same carat size as the other three. It’s mind boggling.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Two stones with the same weight & depth can have seriously different spread - girdle width counts the most.

2p

I am rarely torn between choices; my problem is having very specific, very odd wants!

Interested in why are you rarely torn between choices? What’s your secret?

Reactions: AV_

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Will you be happy with the smaller mm in the long run? Is it possible to see in person?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There are 4 OECs. I have only video and for some reason, I can’t post them here.

The one that makes my heart sing has the smallest mm but same carat size as the other three. It’s mind boggling.

It's just math. Imagine a piece of play-doh with the ability to mould into slightly different proportions. You can easily have one that's 64% depth with steeper crown and pavilion, creating a completely different look from a 55% depth pancake. I'd pick the one that looks the best because that's what makes people upgrade most of the time... they "just don't like it as much as this other one with the slightly better pattern".

joelly

Ideal_Rock
It's just math. Imagine a piece of play-doh with the ability to mould into slightly different proportions. You can easily have one that's 64% depth with steeper crown and pavilion, creating a completely different look from a 55% depth pancake. I'd pick the one that looks the best because that's what makes people upgrade most of the time... they "just don't like it as much as this other one with the slightly better pattern".

Thanks. So I really shouldn't worry about the size in mm as long as the stone has the pattern that I like.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have links to the reports?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. So I really shouldn't worry about the size in mm as long as the stone has the pattern that I like.

depends on which one YOU prioritize more, or you wait for the one to pop up for sale that fulfills both your mm wishes and pattern wishes.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you have a youtube account then post the video to youtube. You should be able to upload the video here from youtube.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@joelly It must be the way I make my mind, comming up with a detailed picture what I want from considering allot of references, many quite far off, not just what is available or accessible [choices to waiver about]; when anything real fits my wishes, there tends to be just one best fit, if even. Things can get odd, for sure.

I can immagine that one of the two diamonds you are considering fits beter among the rest of your collection; eg. YF's stones have a certain old school play of light, but there are distinct styles even among old stones that he offers but does not cut & would stand out against his stones www & www, etc. I do not know what you are looking at, of course!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

A well cut oec shouldn't appear that much smaller than an average one. My sweet spot has typically been 44-46% table, 63-64% depth. What exactly is the size difference between the three stones you're considering? I can't imagine them being that far off unless one has 50% depth and no scintillation.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of the 3.54. I can clearly see girdle reflection as soon as it's tilted and not facing the camera directly. Also the center facets don't seem lively. These types of videos aren't accurate and can hide a lot of flaws due to all the distractions in the back. Ask for a video of it either sitting in a mount or sitting on the hand between fingers.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of the pattern in the 3.02. The 2.92 has some issues I'm not fond of either. I'd want to see a video of it in a mount or on the hand. My guess is the lower half is shorter and crown height is taller proportionally in that stone, which results in the chunkier facets under the table. For stones with shorter lower halves (proportional to total depth), I usually like the table smaller because they tend to cause scintillation issues. Some of the facets under the table aren't as lively as they should be given the video style.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of the 3.54. I can clearly see girdle reflection as soon as it's tilted and not facing the camera directly. Also the center facets don't seem lively. These types of videos aren't accurate and can hide a lot of flaws due to all the distractions in the back. Ask for a video of it either sitting in a mount or sitting on the hand between fingers.

Got it. I learn a lot from your reply. Thanks so much.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of the pattern in the 3.02. The 2.92 has some issues I'm not fond of either. I'd want to see a video of it in a mount or on the hand. My guess is the lower half is shorter and crown height is taller proportionally in that stone, which results in the chunkier facets under the table. For stones with shorter lower halves (proportional to total depth), I usually like the table smaller because they tend to cause scintillation issues. Some of the facets under the table aren't as lively as they should be given the video style.

3.02 M/VS1 and 2.92 L/VVS2 sitting side by side:

joelly

Ideal_Rock

@ForteKitty any thoughts on the 3.15 N/VS1?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I adore it.

Me too, the second Alex posted it I was in love. the pastels in it, OMG <3

I think if you dont know for sure then maybe none of these are your perfect stone. It took me 6 LONG torturous months to finally get my OEC, but once i saw it, i was certain. Every other diamond I saw had something "wrong" with it in my eyes, not good MM or an inclusion, or too small culet or too big culet or too much money for what it was... they were all just not right. My only hesitation was mine is an "L" and I mentally had a really hard time with that, I didn't want lower than a J, but once I saw it in person I was so in love.

Maybe you're struggling because none of these are "right" for you yet??

Last edited:

lynahs1295

Shiny_Rock
i also love alex’s stone way more than any of the other ones...gah, i wish i could have had the money to buy it! it is gorgeous

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Me too, the second Alex posted it I was in love. the pastels in it, OMG <3

I think if you dont know for sure then maybe none of these are your perfect stone. It took me 6 LONG torturous months to finally get my OEC, but once i saw it, i was certain. Every other diamond I saw had something "wrong" with it in my eyes, not good MM or an inclusion, or too small culet or too big culet or too much money for what it was... they were all just not right. My only hesitation was mine is an "L" and I mentally had a really hard time with that, I didn't want lower than a J, but once I saw it in person I was so in love.

Maybe you're struggling because none of these are "right" for you yet??

The right one for me is the one that Alex offered. Maybe if the hold fell thru... Otherwise, back into searching, I am. :read:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Besides Alex stone which is stunning I like the 3.54 vs1 the best for some reason but I wish they had a still of it

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Tables are small, but crown heights are lower than I expect. I am not saying that other proportions are better - the old stones I have in mind are not as bright - sure enough, the spread is trully miserable, all for rather subtly distinctive play of light; nobody in their right mind might be making such oddities today WWW without an affidavit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results