shape
carat
color
clarity

Search for an 8mm OEC

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@springday This is OWD’s list price.

I am just posting it here for her information in case she missed it. Feel free to rip the stone apart. But there is no need to be rude.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@springday This is OWD’s list price.

I am just posting it here for her information in case she missed it. Feel free to rip the stone apart. But there is no need to be rude.

Yes, I know it’s the list price. Which is why I am saying it’s over her budget so what is the point of showing her something that is beyond her means? That doesn’t help the OP.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Having had some recent discussions with OWD, the actual price could be close to her budget...

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Idk. She won’t know until she asks. You have yourself a nice night.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you follow Alex Weber at Premiergemstones on IG? He sometimes has what look to be great stones, often lower colours.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You may have considered this, but have you talked to your setting vendor to see if a slightly smaller stone could work? Can they rework the setting head a bit or if it is a peg head, just replace the head to a smaller head? If you could do a 7.2 to 7.5 OEC, a whole world of options would open up that are in budget.

If found a stone on Jewels by Grace, an eye clean M, I1, which hits your measurements, but it is still over 9k.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Your setting may not work for slightly smaller and you may not like some of these, but just giving some reference if you can go down to a bit smaller.

7.19 x 7.61 x 4.82- $3500, but golden brown

7.21 x 7.23 x 4.32, L color, $6400

Above budget, but fits your measurements you were seeking. That's the stone I referenced above.

7.61 x 8.07 x 5.27, M Color, $9200

A couple on OWD that fit your measurements and budget, but no images. You have to call or email. Adam will tell you if they stink. I'll be honest, the less attractive stones he has tend to have no images. YMMV.

8.02 x. 7.62 x 4.98, N Color, $3989

7.63 x 7.60 x 4.97, Q Color, 5615

Over budget by about $1k, $7484

7.94 x 7.55 x 5.08, N color

Adam has a lot he doesn't have on the site and a lot of stuff he doesn't have photos for on the site.

Have you reached out to him to discuss? If you can use a smaller stone as well, that helps you greatly with the budget. It doesn't seem like you want a super warm stone, so if you can do a 7.2 to 7.4 mm OEC, that would allow you to get into a less warm color range.

@elizat: great minds think alike! The first thing I did was when I bought the setting was ask 2 vendors how much it’d cost to replace the head so that it’d accommodate another size or shape stone. Unfortunately, because of the design of the ring, the cost would be just slightly below what it’d take to build a whole new setting (minus the side stones). Sooo at that point, I may as well just get a new custom setting.

And so, my search for the perfect 7.7-8.5mm round continues.

Oh, did I mention that I found out the max depth has to be 5.32mm or less? Talk about a challenge! On the plus side, I’m also open to CSs. So I’ve been casting my net far and wide.

But it’s ok. This process is fun. Heh. Fun fun fun! OMG, I’m going to spam this board with so many pics once this ring is finally done. Gonna start drafting that SMTB thread now :lol-2:

@foxinsox @Mreader I'll for sure name the vendor once I have the stone checked out by my jeweler!

And oh yes, this is my 3rd OEC! :cry: There was one before Dolly's. It was sold to me as an N, uncerted of course. And in hindsight, that vendor was rather reluctant to send it to GIA. I know, I know! Anyways, that OEC looked very yellow to me once I got it. And it was very tinted in all lighting. But I figured, what do I know? So I sent it to my jeweler for his opinion. He said he'd grade it as a W-Z range. I got a refund immediately.

So fingers and toes crossed for this 3rd one!!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know it’s the list price. Which is why I am saying it’s over her budget so what is the point of showing her something that is beyond her means? That doesn’t help the OP.

This response is incredibly rude. Even after LuLu asked you not to be. OP why do you “like” all the rude responses towards people who are sincerely trying to help you? SMH! (People make mistakes, they should not be taunted for innocently trying to help NEWBIES to old cuts, like Spring Day and yourself.)

This response is incredibly rude. Even after LuLu asked you not to be. OP why do you “like” all the rude responses towards people who are sincerely trying to help you? SMH! (People make mistakes, they should not be taunted for innocently trying to help NEWBIES to old cuts, like Spring Day and yourself.)
This too. “Liked”. SMH

Oh honey, really? You're going to try to use the "newbies" thing as an insult? First of all, @Spring Day has a boatload of experience with old cuts, so I'm not even sure where you're getting that idea from. But second of all, I do think when someone is trying to post to help another PSer, that they really read through the OP and try to respect the parameters of what someone is looking for. Obviously it doesn't hurt to suggest a "reach" or a stone that may be soooo close to what someone is looking for but doesn't quite meet their initial wishlist. But suggesting something that's 50% over my max budget? Even after I've said I've looked at so many OECs that I've liked but are way out of budget at $10+k? Oh, as well as suggesting another OEC that was smaller than the minimum specs that I listed? SMH indeed.

Last edited:

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock

If I thought that she was sincerely trying to help the OP, I would not have commented in such a way.

FYI, I’m not a newbie. I’ve been on PS for more than a decade and have had multiple old cuts but that is beside the point. I don’t need to have knowledge about old cuts to know when something is grossly out of budget. Do not discredit me just because you see a 2020 on my profile. I know what I am talking about.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think Lulu didn't read OPs post carefully hence the out of budget suggestion and asking about mm. But Spring's response did seem overly harsh. I also don't know why one would think Lulu was not trying to help. In any case we should probably all take a breath, and just try to focus on OP's search.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, really? You're going to try to use the "newbies" thing as an insult? First of all, @Spring Day has a boatload of experience with old cuts, so I'm not even sure where you're getting that idea from. But second of all, I do think when someone is trying to post to help another PSer, that they really read through the OP and try to respect the parameters of what someone is looking for. Obviously it doesn't hurt to suggest a "reach" or a stone that may be soooo close to what someone is looking for but doesn't quite meet their initial wishlist. But suggesting something that's 50% over my max budget? Even after I've said I've looked at so many OECs that I've liked but are way out of budget at $10+k? Oh, as well as suggesting another OEC that was smaller than the minimum specs that I listed? SMH indeed.

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen based my recent discussions with OWD, the stone I posted for you would have been in the vicinity of $9500 before negotiation. Sorry if you thought that it was disrespectful of me to post it. You did mention upping your budget in post #19. I was sincerely trying to be helpful as so many other PS'ers have been to me.

Good luck with your search-I hope you find your OEC soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results