shape
carat
color
clarity

Sea of Cortez Pearls - some eye candy

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the demantoid with the pearl! That is fabulous! You TOTALLY have to do that!

Please! I am SO tired of pearls with diamonds, they don't really go together that well if you ask me.

Bringing out pearl tones with gemstones? FABULOUS idea! And a great way to use up those tiny stones that are just not big enough to be center stones.

LOVE IT! :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1289011338|2756505 said:
I LOVE the demantoid with the pearl! That is fabulous! You TOTALLY have to do that!

Please! I am SO tired of pearls with diamonds, they don't really go together that well if you ask me.

Bringing out pearl tones with gemstones? FABULOUS idea! And a great way to use up those tiny stones that are just not big enough to be center stones.

LOVE IT! :love:
Whew, thanks, iLander and LGK. I have a lot of little loose stones, and was looking at them just before sunset. An aqua is a possibility, so is a tourquoise, because I love the blueish colors with the platinum of the pearl. The demantoid brings out the green portion of the rainbow. It is a more sparkly stone, more like a diamond. Also, this particular demantoid has a slight blue grey tinge, which really seems to work here.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the green with the pearl! DO IT!

MoZo

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1289011801|2756513 said:
love the green with the pearl! DO IT!

MoZo

Thank you.

Not only is it pretty, apparently green and grey are at the cutting edge of fashion for this fall, according to a thread over in CS! :tongue:

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
It's weird, my (clothing) wardrobe has a lot of earth tones and neutrals - khaki, grey, camel etc. but when it comes to jewels, especially pearls, I am ALL about colour. The flashier and brighter, the better.

Fly Girl, this is my (somewhat contrary, given the above statement) opinion only and I am a big proponent of 'if you love it then screw what anyone else says' but I think that, to my eyes anyway, that demantoid might be overwhelming the pearl's subtle colours. Picturing it in my mind I like the idea of that pearl with something paler. Don't get me wrong, the demantoid is fab (demantoids are one of my favourite gemstones because of their intensity of colour and fire) but that pearl is such a quiet beauty and I want her to be the star of the show. Does that make sense? I'm a bit of an idiot, I think I've developed emotions towards a pearl and now feel all protective. Oh dear. :D

OK, one more idea. Have you considered a pinkish or purplish pale gemstone with that pearl? It has some pink in it, no? A light pink sapphire?

Just throwing out ideas here, please feel free to ignore them!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am with WHB about the stone too, just MHO though. A softer color stone is more compatible with that SoC. Don't discount the neutral colors.

I have noticed that my SoC rainbow pearls go better with neutral colors, especially grey. I thought jewel-toned colors would bring out the colors of the pearls more, but when I pair them with fuschia or green top, the pearls' colors kind of washed out. Or should I say, I don't see rainbow, just a soft greyish pink. When the pendant is on top of a light grey sweater, the rainbow comes out and the swirls are more prominent, not shouting mode though. You may try the pearl on different colored tops to see which color is more flattering with it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you WHB and HHP. I plan to play around with different possibilities for a while. Now that I have the pearl in hand, I can see how it looks with different colors and in different lighting. What I have decided is that I like it enough to have a professional set it, and I won't be twisting some gold-filled wire into it in order to "set" it myself.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a great eye candy thread...just loved looking at all these pearls...now to go off and stalk some vendors today!

I really like the color of the sea of cortez pearls. That one with the bronzy overtone is pretty cool.
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Congrats on some lovely pearls!

Laura

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
o.k., I was digging around in my unset stones stash and found this sweet 0.50 ct facted rainbow moonstone (5.1 mm, India). :cheeky: Perhaps the subtle rainbow colors of this moonstone will work better with the Sea of Cortez pearl. Some pictures for you.

SeaofCortezMoonstone.jpg

Sea of Cortez with Moonstone0923a.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1289153106|2757605 said:
o.k., I was digging around in my unset stones stash and found this sweet 0.50 ct facted rainbow moonstone (5.1 mm, India). :cheeky: Perhaps the subtle rainbow colors of this moonstone will work better with the Sea of Cortez pearl. Some pictures for you.

I like it.... but I really not feeling it. Maybe because it seems like it may get lost in the look you are trying to acheive. I know that the others thought you should go with something a little more suttle.......... but I think the pearls overtones would POP if you put it with a tsavorite, or a blue-ish green zircon! :love: :love: :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
cushioncutnut|1289156142|2757650 said:
Fly Girl|1289153106|2757605 said:

I like it.... but I really not feeling it. Maybe because it seems like it may get lost in the look you are trying to acheive. I know that the others thought you should go with something a little more suttle.......... but I think the pearls overtones would POP if you put it with a tsavorite, or a blue-ish green zircon! :love: :love: :love:
Here you go, Sea of Cortez pearl with tsavorite on the left and green zircon on the right. :bigsmile:

Sea of Cortez with ZirconorTsav.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sea of Cortez pearl with blue stones. I'm showing the aquamarine baguette for color, not that I would use that particular stone. I'm not sure what the stone on the right is, probably a blue topaz.

Sea of Cortez with BlueStones.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Finally, a small light yellow chrysoberyl with the Sea of Cortez pearl.

Sea of Cortez with Chrysoberyl_0968.jpg

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
This is difficult, Flygirl!

It's especially difficult to really get a handle on how something looks 'for real' through photos (not blaming your photos - this is always trouble for me, imagining a thing irl vs a photo). The moonstone is driving me nuts. I think that could look awesome, but I'm also worried irl that it might, instead of enhancing itself and the pearl, do the opposite for both.

Helpful, aren't I? I will try to be more constructive. For colour alone I actually quite like the aquamarine and I think my favourite is the chrysoberyl (last photo) - I also like the size vs the pearl. The pearl looks very beautiful in the photo with the chrysoberyl.

All of this said, what is *your* favourite? Is there any particular combo of pearl + stone that is calling to you?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
whitehotblank|1289164885|2757765 said:
This is difficult, Flygirl!

It's especially difficult to really get a handle on how something looks 'for real' through photos (not blaming your photos - this is always trouble for me, imagining a thing irl vs a photo). The moonstone is driving me nuts. I think that could look awesome, but I'm also worried irl that it might, instead of enhancing itself and the pearl, do the opposite for both.

Helpful, aren't I? I will try to be more constructive. For colour alone I actually quite like the aquamarine and I think my favourite is the chrysoberyl (last photo) - I also like the size vs the pearl. The pearl looks very beautiful in the photo with the chrysoberyl.

All of this said, what is *your* favourite? Is there any particular combo of pearl + stone that is calling to you?
I keep thinking a tourquoise-colored stone would look nice. In some lighting the Sea of Cortez pearl has a lot of blue in it, which is so cool. I really like the moonstone; I would probably ask about a gold bezel to help it stand out a bit more than it does here on a white background. I put a blue diamond here with the Sea of Cortez pearl to try to see how it looks when the pearl is in more of a blue phase. The green zircon is also nice.

Sea of Cortez with Moonstone or Blue Diamond.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green zircon, Chrysoberyl, or the Blue topaz....... In that order...is my vote! :bigsmile: But honestly, I am really diggin' the zircon as it seems to make the pearls colors really POP!! :love:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I love the moonstone too, but it's faceted, right? I think it might disappear compared to that gorgeous pearl. I like the green stones best. The zircon is a good match, but the pear shape of the tsavorite is nice but I think the color too dark. The chrysoberyl is a good color match for the pearl. You can see them best in person, though!

Laura

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I'm wondering what color gold? Yellow, white, pink, green?

That may have an effect too.

The high RI of the demantoid is working for you, because it looks more 3 dimensional, and works well with the 3D aspect of the pearl.

But the shape of the tsavorite works so well with the shape of the pearl.

Do you have anything else with a high refractive index? Is the chrysoberyl looking better than we think it is? Jason at Selectgem.com has some mighty cheap fancy diamonds.

To go the opposite way, I wonder how one of those Welo opals would do? One that's water clear? Or would it work against you?

Or you could go for contrast, do you have any rubies or pink spinels handy? (for everyone else's edification, Flygirl has a ton of goodies :love: )

I'd say of the choices, I like the demantoid best.

(Hate this time change thing, making me sleepy . . . )

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1289178850|2757932 said:
Actually, I'm wondering what color gold? Yellow, white, pink, green?

That may have an effect too.

The high RI of the demantoid is working for you, because it looks more 3 dimensional, and works well with the 3D aspect of the pearl.

But the shape of the tsavorite works so well with the shape of the pearl.

Do you have anything else with a high refractive index? Is the chrysoberyl looking better than we think it is? Jason at Selectgem.com has some mighty cheap fancy diamonds.

To go the opposite way, I wonder how one of those Welo opals would do? One that's water clear? Or would it work against you?

Or you could go for contrast, do you have any rubies or pink spinels handy? (for everyone else's edification, Flygirl has a ton of goodies :love: )

I'd say of the choices, I like the demantoid best.

(Hate this time change thing, making me sleepy . . . )
Here is the pearl with my Jeff White Lake Baringo pink sapphire/ruby. The ruby is spectacular, but I didn't think it helped the pearl much. http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/RUB002.htm

The chrysoberyl is a light yellow, precision cut and very sparkly. The color with the pearl seemed just o.k. to me. The problem is the optics on my camera kill sparkle from the chrysoberyl or the irradiated blue diamond above.

I'm thinking high carat yellow gold, which seems to be what the pearl sites seem to use. Actually, when I hold the pearl up to various metals, I actually think it coordinates nicely with sterling. Makes me think twice about some of those pretty mabe pendants on the perlasshop.com site. I bet they are lovely.

Sea of Cortez Pearl with Ruby0963.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
No, that ruby isn't the one. It was worth a try, though.

I am leaning toward the demantoid, but is the diamond better in RL?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1289180712|2757961 said:
No, that ruby isn't the one. It was worth a try, though.

I am leaning toward the demantoid, but is the diamond better in RL?
The diamond isn't great. I love the color, but when I look at the cut under the loupe, it looks like it was hacked out by a caveman.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I'll keep playing around with this project for a while.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I held my new Sea of Cortez pearl up to the UV light to check out the pink fluorescence. These pearls are supposed to be unique in that they glow in long UV. It does glow, and I think it is pretty cool! :cheeky:

Sea of Cortez UV.jpg

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
That pink glow IS very cool. You'll need to wear that pearl in a UV-lit club. Heh.

I think pink gold would look fab with that pearl. Just my opinion tho. I was checking out perlasshop last night as well and some of those mabe pearls are spectacularly coloured. My problem is I don't really like the jewelry designs on that site at all. Love the pearls, not the pieces. Which is a good thing for my wallet.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
very cool!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you bean, WHB and Largosmom. And, you, too, iLander. :tongue:

An update. My Sea of Cortez pearl was one of three projects I dropped off at the jewelers today. We are going with the moonstone as an accent in a pearl pendant. Probably a bezel setting. They loved the pearl. It was glowing all green and its circles were looking amazing under the stone lights. It is smaller than the Tahitian pendants they had, but certainly holds it own colorwise. They will order in some parts in 18k yellow gold, and I will take a look before the final setting.

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Ha, I just clicked this thread and, while scrolling dow to read the new post, saw the moonstone with the pearl again and thought "you know, that actually looks pretty awesome" - then I read your post so yay! How exciting, I can't wait to see pics of your finished baby. :love:

Can I be rude and ask you all to check out my 'Opinions, Please' thread? I've just posted an assortment of SoC pearls from PP with prices and need help making a decision on which one(s) to pull the trigger on.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool, it's a great choice. I see that now, the moonstone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
EXCELLENT, Flygirl! :appl:

I think the sheen of the moonstone and the overtones of the pearl will look so great together!

I think it will make for a totally cool pendant! :cheeky:

And that red glow is kind of freaking me out . . . :shock: What the HECK causes that, Flygirl?

But, are you sure you want to bezel the moonstone? Is there any possibility it might work prong-set? I'm not sure I want to see a bunch of distracting metal with all these delicate colors going on . . .

Just a thought that bubbled up, feel free to ignore it . . .

We've got such cool projects over here in Pearls!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results