shape
carat
color
clarity

Screw backs won’t go in!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just got some screwback earrings and I cannot get them to go in my ear. I’ve read post about people having trouble with them but after they are already in the ear as in they irritate your ear etc. I haven’t read anything on not being able to get the dang things in! I’m trying to twist it and since it won’t push and is that what you are supposed to do? I just ended up with super red and sore ears.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try some lubricant, like petroleum jelly on the post.
When I first got my diamond studs, the screw post actually made my lobes sore for about a week because the post is thicker than standard posts. I suffered through it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Try some lubricant, like petroleum jelly on the post.
When I first got my diamond studs, the screw post actually made my lobes sore for about a week because the post is thicker than standard posts. I suffered through it.

These are Moissy, bc I DO want to upgrade my diamond studs but decided to try these in the interim until I can afford it. I'll try again with the jelly but ouch! But are you supposed to twist them as you put them in the ear, or would you still be able to push them? There is no way I could push, and when I twisted I could only get about 1/4 of it in.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I have screwbacks and push them straight in, don’t screw them (that sounds painful to me; ears aren’t threaded!). I agree with the petroleum jelly or neosporin suggestion. Do you have any trouble getting regular earrings in? If you haven’t been wearing earrings recently your holes might have started to close up and that could make it harder to get the thicker screwback posts in. If that’s the case try wearing regular post back earrings for a few days before trying the screwbacks again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly if this were me I’d stop trying to force them in. I dislike screwbacks and find them uncomfortable. Having this much trouble getting them in tells me maybe they’re not for you. But this is coming from my perspective. My ears are super sensitive snd they’re hurting right now just imagining what you’re going through. :(

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly if this were me I’d stop trying to force them in. I dislike screwbacks and find them uncomfortable. Having this much trouble getting them in tells me maybe they’re not for you. But this is coming from my perspective. My ears are super sensitive snd they’re hurting right now just imagining what you’re going through. :(

I agree. I had screwback studs I tried to wear occasionally, but I could never wear them for a full day. My ears were always sore afterwards. Eventually I reset them as other jewelry and opted for push backs when I got new studs.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Had my Tiffany screwbacks replaced in two different sets of earrings. Never looked back. Not worth the pain/avoidance of wearing nice earrings.

cheers--Sharon

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have screwbacks and push them straight in, don’t screw them (that sounds painful to me; ears aren’t threaded!). I agree with the petroleum jelly or neosporin suggestion. Do you have any trouble getting regular earrings in? If you haven’t been wearing earrings recently your holes might have started to close up and that could make it harder to get the thicker screwback posts in. If that’s the case try wearing regular post back earrings for a few days before trying the screwbacks again.

I wear earrings all the time and every day so I don’t think it’s an issue of my holes closing. This is my first pair of screw backs ever. I just don’t think they were going to work! I didn’t think too much about it when I ordered them or I would’ve asked for regular.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I wear earrings all the time and every day so I don’t think it’s an issue of my holes closing. This is my first pair of screw backs ever. I just don’t think they were going to work! I didn’t think too much about it when I ordered them or I would’ve asked for regular.

Screwback posts are usually thicker than pushback posts (from my experience), so if you wear the other posts regularly and it’s these specifically that aren’t working for you I agee with the posters who said don’t bother with screwbacks. I’m sorry your new pair of earrings is giving you trouble!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are generally thicker posts. I don’t care for them as they can tear your piercing holes up taking them in and out every day. If I ever had trouble (no longer have trouble due to platinum studs now) I stuck the post in a tube of cortisone cream. Made them slide in easier and applied some cortisone cream to the inside of the piercing to help it heal.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I used to have screw backs many years ago and I would always get infections. Just get regular posts and tension backs and when you notice them not having as much grip, get replacement backs.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The posts on screw back earrings are thicker than a normal post.
what I do if literally stick the post into the Vaseline to coat it, dab an extra bit at the front of the earlobe hole and gently push. Don’t try and screw it in, just push gently.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The posts on screw back earrings are thicker than a normal post.
what I do if literally stick the post into the Vaseline to coat it, dab an extra bit at the front of the earlobe hole and gently push. Don’t try and screw it in, just push gently.

Your earring must be a gooey mess at that point :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha yes but since these are Moissy - forget it! I'm returning them lol.

Oh yes. I didn’t realize that was an option. Return and start over. I love the push backs. Super comfie (for me).

m51galaxy

Shiny_Rock
Some screw back posts are thicker than others. I was able to wear some, but one time I tried the thicker type and could not get it in. I never tried the thicker ones again as my ear hurt for days.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a thicker screw back hurts, how on earth do people stretch their lobes for gauges?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
If a thicker screw back hurts, how on earth do people stretch their lobes for gauges?

I think it's less painful if it's for something you want. I stretched my lobes to about 14 ga to be able to wear antique earrings which came in thicker sizes, without much pain because I REALLY wanted to wear the earrings without shaving them down or replacing the wires (for historical preservation.) But I find high heels agonizingly painful, because I don't care very much about the end result. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results