shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratching with this band?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Hello again,

Still narrowing down options for my wedding band. Although I never considered a 5 stone, I came across this one and it looked quite beautiful on. I had the sales rep send me a photo, although I don't recall it being exactly like this, it is apparently the one I was looking at. I could always make it an eternity as well.

Anywy, I was wondering if this type of band scratches? What exactly am I to look for when trying to avoid that. I don't imagine wearing it as a RHR, although pretty.

Is there anything else I should know about 5 stone rings when pairing with an ER.

Thank you :wavey:

Edit - Is there a name to this type of setting?

_38363.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will scratch but it really depends on your engagement ring gallery/donut area. You need to post pictures of your engagment
ring. The other thing you have to consider is the height of your wedding band with your engagement ring. They need to be somewhat
similar (you could do lower but higher doesnt usually go well together). I wore a 5 stone as a wedding band for a long time. The
edge of the stones were slowly eating into my platinum. You can wear a 1mm thin gold/plat band to keep the diamonds from eating
your engagement ring.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd call this a basket/airline setting. I agree with Tyty's suggestion of wearing a 1mm spacer.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
This one actually fit really well in height, I was surprised. I felt the 5 stone looked a little more dainty than the eternity, which I wasn't expecting. It was a 10 ish pointer. I didn't place it too close to my ring as I didn't want it to scratch, but it seemed like it wouldn't? Is it the diamonds that scratch or the platinum against platinum?

img_2964.png

img_12801.jpg

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
It's the diamonds against the platinum. And it's not just scratching. The diamonds eat at the platinum (not literally, but it starts to wear away at the metal). I have 2 wedding bands: a plain platinum band and a shared prong band. I used to wear the shared prong in the middle, ie next to my engagement ring, but now wear it on the bottom as I saw that it was starting to wear away the platinum basket of the e ring after only a few months. I agree with the others to get a spacer. Etsy has spacers as thin as .75mm. You can barely see a thing.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I'll look into a spacer then, I've seen some that are quite noticeable, perhaps the others I haven't seen are because they aren't detectable :rodent:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results