shape
carat
color
clarity

ScottKay Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belomni

Rough_Rock
I have purchased a ring my girlfriend liked very much at the store. It is a round shank but flat at the bottom. It has a four prong head and each prong is knife edged. I took it to get the diamond set and the jeweler told me he his guy was not in but he also told me the ring was for a princess cut! I am now very worried because my diamond is a round cut. If this is true, when some people look at my girls ring they will always be commenting on that fact. I did notice it made the diamond look kind of square because of the knife edged prongs. I am a little worried now and wanted some feedback if possible.

Thanks!

Shawn:errrr:

I would not be concern about it as long as the diamond is SAFELY set and that both you and your significant other like how it looks.

just my two-cents,
-T:read:

What an interesting question. I am interested in the answer for the opposite purpose.

I dislike rounds but love square-cuts, like the flanders. I wonder if mounting a round like a princess would give it a squarish look, but still have the light return of a round. Or if there would be a way to mount a round to make it look squarish...

Any thoughts, either in Belomni's or my perspectives?

Bingbongbug, something like this? I did a google search for fishtail settings and found this.

amb150plat.jpg

Bingbongbug (gotta like that name!).
I'm doing just that, round diamond to look square. My girlfried loves the beauty of a round diamond but likes the square look of a princess. She found her perfect ring in an ad. Round diamond with 4 square top prongs. The four square prongs give the impression of a princess yet it still retains the brilliance of a round.
Needless to say I became quite frightened when she said she might want a princess instead. I never dreamed how much there was to learn about diamonds and to have to start all over looking at a new shape! Luckly without any prompting she reverted to round. Now I just have to find the right stone before she changes her mind again!
-D

Thanks for the replies. :)

Tonysgeko, you're so nice to run a search and post a picture for me! Looking at that ring, I'd have to say that it doesn't really look squarish to me. It still looks like a regular round.

Derek, that's funny that you are doing the same thing, and your girlfriend has the same preference as I do. You haven't come across a ring picture online with the same style, have you? I'm very curious to see what it would look like.

I do have a particular setting in mind. It's made for a Flanders, with a wide band. Anyone have a thought on how square it would make a round look, and how secure a round would be in a Flanders setting?

And I'm glad you like my name, Derek! I drive a new beetle, and my sweetie had a pet name of "Bingbong" for me. For some reason, I liked it. :)

Found one more Bing. Maybe it would help to add some bars in between the gaps on top to make it more squarish and conceal the round edges.

r14.jpg

I love a fish-tail setting, but I prefer a traditional V-Head for a round stone so that you can see the entire stone, top and sides. I do not like baskets with a setting bar b/c I feel that it takes away from the beauty of the stone.

I have an opposite question...regarding my square sapphire.

CAN I SET THE SQUARE STEP-CUT SAPPHIRE IN A V-HEAD THAT WAS MEANT FOR A
ROUND STONE???

Any thoughts???

a

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP