shape
carat
color
clarity

Scoring deals on eBay?

Area57

Rough_Rock
There are a lot of diamonds on eBay and it looks like it has by far the best prices....if you know what you are doing.

Do you guys use eBay for diamonds? Do you feel it is safe? Any tips on how to go about it and get a good diamond?

Or should I just go with one of the trusted sellers on this site like James Allen?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully some other PS members will comment soon, but I think eBay is not a good place to purchase diamonds unless you really know what you are doing. I have noticed some PS members get great deals, but they have an immense amount of knowledge and know what to look for. (Avoiding egl, iga, clarity enhanced, making sure there is a return period, researching reports, reading reviews, etc.)
Anyhow, I think it's best to use a PS trusted vendor if you are unsure. (James Allen, whiteflash, high performance, id, Brian Gavin and others). :wavey:

Here are some threads with pros/cons and various info:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tips-for-buying-jewelry-on-ebay.215223/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-online-ebay-help-who-is-reputable.83983/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-safe-is-it-to-buy-off-ebay.4647/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope.
I'm not a gambler.

I worked hard for my money.
I want to be sure of what I'm buying and of whom I'm buying it from.

If it sounds too good to be true ...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Keep in mind that eBay does not sell anything itself. Each seller there operates independently.
As opposed to say, Amazon, eBay has very little control over the sellers behavior.
Unfortunately that leads to a lot of nasty stuff going on there.....my pics are stolen practically on a daily basis and eBay won't do anything about it.

As Kenny mentioned, if it looks to good to be true, than it's a duck

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'be bought 5 bands off Ebay, but nothing too too expensive.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased a few small OEC diamonds on ebay (set and unset), most under .50 cts and have had pretty good luck. BUT, i only buy from a seller with a return policy, I make sure that the photos are clear and that I can see the diamond straight on, AND I generally expect that if it isn't certed, then I will get something of lower color and clarity than described. I don't think I'd ever purchase a big ticket item that way but for relatively small amounts of money sometimes I will take the gamble. Expect that some won't pay off, but some perhaps will.

Bellasky

Rough_Rock
I have gotten a couple of diamonds from eBay and it's a great deal if you are careful and do research first. Just ask seller lots of questions and extra pictures before deciding. Make sure the seller has good reviews. I don't buy if I see negative reviews. I also check feed backs from others who as bought same high dollar items to make sure the item is as stated and if there is a return policy. The first diamond I bought from a seller that has no return policy so in that case I asked lots of questions, lots of pictures, and details before buying. The sale turned out great and when I got it appraisal I got what I paid for plus extra $4000. My appraiser said I got the diamond almost at wholesale price. I had such a great experience from the seller that I just bought another diamond band from the same seller today. So you can get great deals just be careful and always ask for a best price offer even if the auction doesn't have one because some sellers are willing to negotiate prices if you willing to pay now and some give discounts if you are a return customer. Good luck!

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking for an 8mm OEC for a few months (years, really, off and on) and in that time, I have not noticed any screaming deals on eBay for an attractive larger old-cut stone. My sense is that there are so many other people looking for things like that nowadays that the deals of the past are not really there any more. I bought my stone from a "boutique" PS vendor and the pricing for boutique vendors has been described here as "high retail". But considering my stone is AGS certed and I knew EXACTLY what I was getting, I don't necessarily think I would have paid that much less for the same stone on eBay, unless I got VERY lucky.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I made a nice six or seven thousand dollar ring for a client in England. (Platinum and diamond halo with a large diamond simulant as the center stone)

A month or two ago I saw my photo of the ring on Ebay. The ring was priced at "ONLY" $500,000 dollars. Pretty sure the buyer did NOT get what they thought they were buying.

Buying on Ebay is a crap shoot. I know that there are bargains there, but there are, by a factor of many times, more traps and junk there than bargains.

It is the wild west of diamond buying and Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) is rule number one there.

Wink

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I've bought a couple jewelry items via eBay, but from reputable sellers. I bought a ring setting for a colored stone from jewelryhoo (a Chinese seller others had used many times in the Colored Stones area of PS), and I bought an antique 5-stone band after I posted photos on PS and other old cut experts looked at them and said it was very nice, and the price was right. I think there was a return policy for both. For an engagement ring or anything over about $1,000, I would rather go with a trusted vendor--that's just my comfort level.

Now, if it's a branded piece or a pre-loved item from a PS vendor, that might be different. I did buy a ring via Diamond Bistro that was quite valuable, but the stone was GIA certified from a PS seller, and the original seller's listing was still viewable, so I could see I was getting something legitimate. I used PayPal to pay for the ring with my credit card (double protection). But again, reputable seller (a PSer), reputable original vendor (Love Affair Diamonds), and the backing of my credit card and PayPal. And I immediately got it appraised so I knew it was what I was sold.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink|1445875883|3942244 said:
I made a nice six or seven thousand dollar ring for a client in England. (Platinum and diamond halo with a large diamond simulant as the center stone)

A month or two ago I saw my photo of the ring on Ebay. The ring was priced at "ONLY" $500,000 dollars. Pretty sure the buyer did NOT get what they thought they were buying.

Buying on Ebay is a crap shoot. I know that there are bargains there, but there are, by a factor of many times, more traps and junk there than bargains.

It is the wild west of diamond buying and Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) is rule number one there.

Wink

LOL- I feel your pain Wink- we get what has happened to you, and also the other way- they steal pictures of a ring worth $50K+ and advertise it for a couple hunned bucks:)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
sugarski|1445844139|3942179 said:
I have been looking for an 8mm OEC for a few months (years, really, off and on) and in that time, I have not noticed any screaming deals on eBay for an attractive larger old-cut stone. My sense is that there are so many other people looking for things like that nowadays that the deals of the past are not really there any more. I bought my stone from a "boutique" PS vendor and the pricing for boutique vendors has been described here as "high retail". But considering my stone is AGS certed and I knew EXACTLY what I was getting, I don't necessarily think I would have paid that much less for the same stone on eBay, unless I got VERY lucky.

Actually, in July I almost bought a 2.45 GIA K VVS1 OEC on ebay, screaming deal since it came with the original antique plat setting. It sold for 15,300$ :( I was just waiting for a reply from the seller, but it got sold by the time he replied.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/381338793981?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

And then there is this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/161868971861?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1445979335|3942738 said:
sugarski|1445844139|3942179 said:

Actually, in July I almost bought a 2.45 GIA K VVS1 OEC on ebay, screaming deal since it came with the original antique plat setting. It sold for 15,300$ :( I was just waiting for a reply from the seller, but it got sold by the time he replied.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/381338793981?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

And then there is this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/161868971861?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Those are indeed gorgeous and clearly you and other PSers are much better eBayers than myself! THBS, my budget was much, much lower than that and I'm happy with the price I paid for my 1.94 AGS N. Not a screaming deal, but exactly what I was looking for and within budget.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting that the advice that everyone is giving is advice for buying safely on ebay, rather than advice for getting deals on ebay. My advice for getting good deals is this: do the opposite of what you do to buy safely. The best deals I've found have had blurry pictures in bad lighting (usually none straight-on), few feedbacks (often none of other jewelry items), limited return policy, and little to no information on the item. We're talking things like "old diamond approx .2 inch" as the description. Risky? Yeah. But the people who have clear pictures and accurate, detailed information are also the people who have actual knowledge of what they are selling and are charging appropriate prices for it.

Also, as you ebay more, you learn to quickly weed out people using other people's photos or stock pictures. Always reverse google image search if you're interested in something.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I took a chance with my purchase - 1 carat old european diamond VVS1 and G color for $1,100. Her feedback score was very low. But I took a chance and got a great deal. (Ih ave everything I buy checked by a gemologist).

Also $1,700 for the VS1 .74 diamond with F color for $1,700. It is georgeous. Unbelievable pattern like the ones I see on here. But I took a chance on someone who was motivated to sell. It does not hurt to ask.

As far as the blurry pictures and bad descriptions - yup. As well as people who misspell the title and it does not come up unless you spell it incorrectly yourself.

The boutique jewelry on here is gorgeous, but top $. Great deals on ebay if you are patient and do not mind doing a lot of searching. And with all the buyer protection ebay affords, it is now pretty safe.

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock
I believe it is possible to score a good deal on ebay, but it requires knowledge and patience. Make sure you set a budget; sometimes you get into a bidding war and you need to know when to just walk away. As mentioned in previous posts, a fair return policy and asking a lot of questions is important.

My 'best' purchase was 7 old euro cut rounds totaling just shy of 2 carats. I paid a little under $400. I brought them into my jeweler to make a 5 diamond anniversary band. He said they were around G-SI2 diamonds. When he asked me how much I paid, he guessed himself that they were about $200 a stone. If you do the math, I paid under $60 a diamond. Good deal for me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results