shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying online...ebay..help, who is reputable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabirsprings

Rough_Rock
Where to begin, there are so many sellers....on ebay or not. I have actually found the prices on ebay to not be that great, but at least you have buyers feedback. We are looking for an engagement ring, willing to pay upwards to $30,000. also considering enhanced diamonds to get more bling for our buck and maybe not have to spend so much for that big rock. But, there are so many sellers and websites. Who is trustworthy...I can google almost all of them and find negative reviews. I am also sceptical about the grading reports, and worry that many might be fake. How reliable are the money back guarantees? I guess as one suggested, I could use a credit card and cancel the charges if I don''t get a refund. Would love some advise here!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''ve got an amazing budget. please, please, please stay away from ebay. keep reading this site. there are wonderful trustworthy vendors here that can help you find your dream ring.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 8:37:24 PM
Author: mrssalvo
you''ve got an amazing budget. please, please, please stay away from ebay. keep reading this site. there are wonderful trustworthy vendors here that can help you find your dream ring.
A. MEN.

wawatu

Rough_Rock
i just bought a diamond from james allen.com
the diamond is just as it says, i took it to an appraiser..
i am happy with the service as well
i think i got a good deal
with your budget, you can get something VERY beautiful.
it pays to take time to do research though
i wouldn''t say one single vendor is the cheapest in price, you have to see stone by stone

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Sabirsprings,
It is overwhelming, I know...trust me I know!
32.gif
However, you have a very comfortable budget and people on PS are extremely helpful. I have learned so much as a result of the posts and tutorials I have found here.

So, I guess what I am saying is ...back away from ebay and tell us what you are looking for. You can get a beautiful diamond and setting from a reputable vendor with reasonable policies. Someone mentioned James Allen. You could also check out Quest, GoodOldGold among others. Where are you located...if you are in the DC area, you could actually sit down and talk with good people like Pete at Quest or James Allen of James Allen!

Good luck!

Muss

Shiny_Rock
You can find some many negative things about buying diamonds on ebay...it is pretty hard to find positive expierences.

As for online vendors some good places to start looking: winkjones.com, whiteflash.com, and goodoldgold.com

Once you get an idea of what you want (setting and/or rocks) let us know and we will help you find the perfect thing.

Finding an engagement ring was one of the hardest things I have every done, so I know where you are coming from

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay first, if you want to get your money''s worth avoid ebay.

With your budget I would not even consider clarity enhanced either.

Where are you located. Many PS vendors have physical stores and offices you can visit. Which will ease your mind I think.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
There are plenty of honest retailers here...why would you risk such a large budget on eBay? Do you really think that positive feedback there is in any way meaningful? Do you have any idea of the % of misrepresented diamonds on eBay? Do you know exactly what your recourse is if you get jacked?

Take a deep breath, and take the next week or so and read 24/7 here about how to identify and what to look for in the very best diamond cuts available anywhere, and how to get diamond value for money without risk.

Learn how you can protect yourself by having your chosen diamond independently appraised by an objective, highly qualified 3rd party - BEFORE you purchase your stone.

Why worry, be safe, be happy, be smart!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2008 8:41:33 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 4/25/2008 8:37:24 PM
Author: mrssalvo
A. MEN.
Ditto and thritto.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2008 3:10:44 AM
Author: DiamondExpert
There are plenty of honest retailers here...why would you risk such a large budget on eBay? Do you really think that positive feedback there is in any way meaningful? Do you have any idea of the % of misrepresented diamonds on eBay? Do you know exactly what your recourse is if you get jacked?

Take a deep breath, and take the next week or so and read 24/7 here about how to identify and what to look for in the very best diamond cuts available anywhere, and how to get diamond value for money without risk.

Learn how you can protect yourself by having your chosen diamond independently appraised by an objective, highly qualified 3rd party - BEFORE you purchase your stone.

Why worry, be safe, be happy, be smart!
Also great post.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

OK. Stop. Stand still. Now.. back away from eBay......

Great.

Phew... you're safe. :)

Seriously, please don't even consider either buying from eBay or buying a clarity enhanced diamond.

You have an awesome budget and with help from the people on PS you will be able to buy the most (and I really do mean the MOST) incredible diamond.

OK, yes, I bought a diamond on eBay. It was a 0.33ct J VS1 pear cut... and it cost me the grand total of £60. I knew it was a risk, and I was quite prepared to lose the money if the diamond turned out to be rubbish. I was lucky - and it was beautiful. But, I would not even consider spending $30k on a diamond from eBay.

Why?

If you hang around PS long enough you will know that the mantra round here is 'cut is king'. Out of all the factors affecting a diamond (carat weight, colour, clarity etc).. the CUT is the most important thing affecting how beautiful the diamond is... that is, the angles and proportions of the stone.

By using one of a number of PS-recommended vendors, and working with the PS community, you will be able to find the most fabulously well-cut diamond which will just blow you away - guaranteed - and with absolutely zero financial risk.

Have a look at the Whiteflash and GoodoldGold websites to start with as these companies are both highly recommended, trusted vendors whose reputations are absolutely impeccable.

With these companies you can buy a diamond and have a returns period, during which time you can send your diamond for an independednt appraisal if you wish, to be absolutely confident that you've got what you paid for, and that you love the stone. If you're not happy, for any reason, then you can return the stone and get a full refund. No risk and no worries.

Do you have any idea what sort of shape and size diamond you would like to get?

x x x

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others!!! With a budget like that, stay right here and be educated by people who actually are experts, or so close to being experts that you''ll get great advice!!!

The PS''ers are a friendly and knowledgeable group of folks who want everyone who asks to end up with a fabulous ring!

Just let us know what you''re looking for in a diamond (shape, colour and clarity, size of stone...) and you''ll get several suggestions.

No eBay for a budget like that one! Nooooooooo!
38.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Good God NO! Don''t do it!

You have an amazing budget and if you purchase online, can get an equally amazing rock, so please don''t even think about needing ebay to maximise size.

If you want to post your requirements, we can help suggest some killer rocks! We just love looking for sparklies (especially with that budget to play with!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results