shape
carat
color
clarity

Saying: I Love You

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I would really like to hear your stories on this topic.
- Who said it first?
- When was it said? (after 1 week; after 3 months ... still waiting?)
- How often do you say it to each other now?

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
I said it first, he didn’t say it back for about a month (this seriously got on my serves).

I said it after about 2 and a half months. When he said it back at first he would then get annoyed about how often I would say it because I said it whenever I thought it, and he thought it took away the special feeling from the words, but I couldn’t help it and so I would get half way through saying it and stop, it was highly uncomfortable. We both got over it eventually. He once told me he wanted to make sure that was how he felt before he said it back to me. “Love is a strong word” etc.

A couple of years later and we both say often, several times a day (just the way I like it).

vanilla87

Shiny_Rock
My BF said it first - It was very sweet as we had only been dating for about a month, but we had known each for a year. My reply however was not so sweet.... He says "I love you" i say in shock "no you dont!"

To this day i cringe whenever i think about it!! We have been together for 4 years now and we say i love you lots of times a day, over the phone, in person, via FB and text, before we go to bed. It never gets old and it never loses its meaning. I think its nice to remind your SO several times a day how much you love them and that your thinking of them :)

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
I said it first and he replied thanks... yup.. we still laugh about it today. I said it after 3 months of dating. He told me later on that the next person he would say "I love you" to would likely be the one he'd marry. He told me he loved me 6 months into the relationship. We did the long distance relationship and he told me he loved me my first visit. We were engaged 2 1/2 years later once he finished graduate school and secured a job. 13 years later (10 married) we say it every couple of days and always on the phone when either of us is away.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
-He was the first one to say it to me
-He said it after 8 months of dating when we were in the middle of a very heated argument. I've seen SO cry twice and I was so mad at something at the time that I threatened to leave him (real mature) and I noticed him start tearing up and then he said it. I said it to him later that night.
-We say it to each other multiple times a day :)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
He said it first... we'd been dating about 3 months.

We don't say it often. I'm just not the type of person to say "I love you" every time I hang up the phone. I'll tell him randomly when I'm really feeling lovey, and him the same. Maybe a couple times a week, if that?

blueberrydot

Shiny_Rock
He said it for the first time about two weeks into our relationship - but he was drunk, so we don't count it hahaha. He'd had some (and by some, I mean plenty) of drinks on a night out with some school pals, and I got a drunk dial from him slurring that he loved me and we were going to get married. I laughed and said, "No you don't mean that" (but inside I was secretly going "EEEE!!!"). He had no recollection of it the next day haha! About a week later, he said "I think I'm falling in love with you" and then immediately said "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that, it's too soon!" I didn't say anything back, but inside I was going "EEEEE!!!" again. And then we finally both said it to each other for real about....five weeks into dating, I think. I'm not sure how many times a day we say it to each other, but it's A LOT. I think on days that we see each other (we've been long distance since February) we probably say it around 20-30 times a day at least. On days we don't see each other and we just talk on the phone I'd say it's more like...10-15 times?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Glitz|1290032070|2770435 said:
- Who said it first? He did, on New Year's Eve over the phone (we were in different cities at the time)
- When was it said? Almost exactly 6 months into the relationship
- How often do you say it to each other now? At the bare minimum once a day. We have a rule that before either of us goes to sleep, we have to kiss each other and say "I love you", whether we are really tired, annoyed, etc. lol

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
He said it to me about a year after we started dating. We were in a bit of a fight, and it came out. And that was the end of the fight. :cheeky: By that point we obviously knew that we loved each other, so it wasn't a surprise for him to say it, or for me to hear it. We're notoriously laid back people, so it wasn't a surprise that we just didn't make a big deal out of when it was first said. We take it easy in general.

We say it all the time now. Before we go to sleep, before we leave for work, on the phone, at random times of the day. It still makes my heart flutter each time I hear him say it.

We've been together since June 2004.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
It was a few months after we started dating. We were :naughty: when he stopped and looked at me. Then it was, "you love me, right". I said yes and he said "good, because I love you." :cheeky:

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
I think it was about 6 weeks or so into our relationship. I had said I think I'm falling in love with you and he said ok or something like that. I went away about a week later and while I was away and we were on the phone he told me he loved me then I said it back. :love: Now we say it pretty much daily.

prettybug

Rough_Rock
-He told me that he loved me within two days of us dating. "we were working together at the time....3mths or so before we started dating"
-He told me that he knew the first time we met that I was the one/was going to be his wife oneday
-ME SAYING IT- week or so....lol
-Been together for 18 mths and been engaged for one mth and i'm loving IT!!
-phone, in person, ALL THE TIME, etc.... :love:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
He said it to me on our first official date -- 8 months after originally meeting. I said it back a minute later.
We say it quite often, but sometimes I want it to be more meaningful, so I don't say it -- that upsets him. He knows I love him, but why do we always have to say it? :confused:
Nonetheless, our love grows daily :)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said it first....
We met on a flight from Greece to Canada, i was going there on vacation and he was going to...stay forever! We saw each other twice there and afterwards i had to come back to Greece...Two months afterwards i told him that i loved him. He said that he was very moved to hear those words and that he really hoped i meant them, because he's getting there too, and in his case, that means that i'll have to spend the rest of my life with him!!! Two months after that discussion he said that he loved me too...After five years of being in a long distance relationship between Athens and Toronto, we got married and we're now expecting our first baby! ::) Did i mention that i lo-lo-love my husband? ::)

ETA: We still say it to each other many times per week! :D Especially after a fight is over!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
He said it first, about two months after we first met. I was getting ready to go away for a few days to attend my orientation for college and he said that he had something really important that he wanted to tell me. Well then he said "No, I'm not going to tell you yet." At first I thought he was just teasing and so I kept asking him to tell me what it was and eventually I got a little mad that he wouldn't tell me. So, I blurted something about do you really want me to leave for two days and still be mad at you? Then he paused, looked at me and said I love you! It was totally not what I expected him to say and it took me a few moments to respond. But, I did and the rest is history! :D

Now we say it quite often, on the phone, when one of us is leaving to go somewhere, before we go to sleep, etc.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Who said it first? She did. We had been drinking, so I was like :o and didn't say anything back, LOL. I asked her the next day if she meant it, and she danced around the subject. It was another week or two before I told her, because I was so afraid of rejection and thought maybe she just said it because of the port ;-)
- When was it said? (after 1 week; after 3 months ... still waiting?) it was about a month into our "relationship" (relationship in quotes because we weren't officially dating until June, started seeing one another in February)
- How often do you say it to each other now? probably a minimum of 10 times a day (via in person, text, IM, email). I love it! It's 8:46am and I think she's already told me 5x, LOL

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I said it first, after about 2 months of dating. I had been dreaming every night for a few weeks that he would tell me he loved me while we were dancing at his sister's upcoming wedding. But that particular day, we had been having a very difficult conversation about his divorce. It was the first time we really talked in detail about how his first marriage unraveled, and it wasn't pleasant, but I felt it was important so that we could move forward in our relationship. We also talked about religion, family, and what we both wanted to get out of our relationship, so basically we got all the awkward conversations out of the way in one marathon night. It was very late at night by the time we finished and I was just overcome with emotion because this amazing guy was actually taking me seriously and opening up about everything. I decided I wanted to tell him I loved him right then. But then I just...couldn't do it! The words were just not coming out. So we were standing by the door saying goodbye, and I wouldn't leave, but I also wasn't saying anything. He was really tired and was trying to politely excuse himself to go to bed. He didn't understand what was going on and he kept saying "but...I'll see you tomorrow. Right? I will see you tomorrow, right?" Poor guy started panicking thinking that I was breaking up with him. I finally managed to whisper "I love you." AND he didn't hear me. "What did you say?" he asked. And I'm thinking "Oh dear God, please don't make me do this again." He kept asking me what was wrong. Finally I mustered the courage to say "nothing is wrong, I just love you, okay?" (Super romantic, I know).

Me: You don't have to say anything back if you aren't read-
BF (interrupts): I love you, too. I've known that for a while now.
Me: Why didn't you say something?
BF: I was waiting to tell you while we were dancing at my sister's wedding.

Doh! Spoiled my own dream, didn't I? But the good news was not only did we love each other, but we also apparently think alike. And he still told me he loved me at his sister's wedding. It just wasn't the first time.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I told him first, within the first month of us dating. It was over a skype date. The first time he said it to me was on my first visit up that same month we first started dating. I knew he wouldn't say it unless he meant it (he had an ex gf that he dated for 8 months and she asked him if he was ever going to tell her he loved her, he said no and so they broke up...btw my SO is a great guy, so don't take this as him being a jerk or anything bc he's really not). So we both had told each other within the 1st month (I'd say first 3 weeks of knowing each other). You should see the picture we have of us at the CN tower...it's about 3 weeks after we started dating and you can see how much we love each other in the pic 8)

It's now been over 9 months (which seems short to most people, and it isn't very long, but when ya know, ya know!) and our love has only grown stronger. We've faced our trails (which would break most people up) but it only brought us closer together. I think we'll get engaged on our 1 year anny, which is Valentines day! He may try to throw me off by doing it before (like NYE) but I'm thinking he wants it to be the story we tell everyone years to come. Which is this:

We met when he was on a business trip to Texas. We met the 2nd day he was in town, didn't really think anything of it because neither of us were looking. We went out on a date, and then again the next day, and the next day again but then he had to leave. He asked me out for a LDR on Feb 14th over our skype dinner date and 4 days later I flew up for a week. I went home and 5 days later I flew back up for 3 months. I flew back home for a month, packed up my stuff and "moved" to Canada! When I say moved, he flew to Texas and we made a road trip in my car over 2 weeks from Houston to Ontario! It was a long trip, but we got to have a lot of fun, he got to meet my family and we spent a lot of time together. We've spent almost every day together and it's the most amazing feeling in the world being in love with your best friend. If he proposes on Valentines day, we then could say that we dated and got engaged 1 year to the day...and then we'll get married this summer :twirl:

ETA: We tell each other so many times a day that we love each other that I can't even count! It's great though because I never get tired to hearing it or get tired of telling him :D

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
He said it first, after about three months of officially dating. I wanted to say it before then, but I was his first serious girlfriend and I didn't want to scare him off! :) He was pretty adorable, I could tell he was trying to work up the courage for about an hour before he said it, and started off with a little speech. I said it back right away :) We now say it at least twice a day.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
I don't remember who said it first. We started saying it five or six months into the relationship. I say it when he or I or leaving for something and were both up. I don't say it like at the end of a call. I guess you could say not a lot but that doesn't mean I don't love him. That really bothered him because I would say it with my sis and dad all the time but I'm used to doing that. I told him I'll work on it so I'm getting better with saying it.

A

Anonymous

Fun topic!

- Who said it first? Is it bad that I can't remember?! He definitely hinted at it first, which was adorable. He'd say "there's something that I REALLY want to say to you, but I know that I can't yet" or "I know I won't stop saying it if I start and it's crazy to even think it right now!"

- When was it said? About 4 months after I met him, around Christmas. I wish I could remember the very first time, bah!

- How often do you say it to each other now? Very often, and I love it! :) Pretty much anytime we part (in person, on the phone, at night when we fall asleep) and random times throughout the day. I'd say at least 10 times a day. I hadn't realized how often it was!

figment23

Rough_Rock
He said it first, about 6 1/2 months in. In the middle of an argument he said "I really love you but..." and went on to make his point, which I couldn't refute because I was too stunned he said he loved me (this is not the kind of guy who is loving, so I was a bit shocked).

I said it back about a week later, though to this day (several months after that) he is STILL not good about avoiding saying "me too" when I say I love him.

I'd say we say it every couple of days. He doesn't like to say it because he says it takes away the magic if it's overused, which I don't really like.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If my memory serves me correctly (it was in 1983) I said it first and it probably was within a couple of months....

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I said it first, after about six months of dating. It was around my birthday, and he told methat night that he was taking me to Hawaii as my gift. It was a huge deal since neither of us had all that much money, and no boyfriend had ever given me such a wonderful, grand-gesture-type gift. He said it back on New Year's Eve, just before we left for the trip. By the time we got back, neither of us could stop saying it.

Now, four years later--one-and-a-half of those married--we say it several times a day to each other. Like Haven described, it still makes my heart flutter every time I hear it.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Third time we ever met.

About 2 1/2 weeks into relationship.

Him first.

Before we slept together.

We marry in July.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband said it first, 2 months after we met and began dating. We met in Oct. 2003.

We had decided to go to Quebec City for New Year's Eve, and he said it while we were in the hotel getting ready for dinner.

We say "I love you" often throughout the day, through e-mail, texts, in person, on the phone...

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
- Who said it first?
He did! :love:

- When was it said? (after 1 week; after 3 months ... still waiting?)
We were together about three months when he said it.

- How often do you say it to each other now?
Daily! I think it's SO important to let the people in your life know what they mean to you EACH AND EVERY DAY, life is too short! I don't want to leave this Earth with regrets!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I said it first about three months in and he immediately said it back. I think we both knew for a few weeks, but were both afraid to say it.

In my previous relationship I said it first and he never said it back - it eventually broke us up because it hurt me and he realized that if he didn't love me after a year that it would never happen. It made me very upset, and made me tentative to say it again, but I realized that if he wasn't willing to say it by 6 months it probably wasn't going to happen.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
He said it first on our 3rd date. :)
We had been friends for a while and went through our own relationship hells and then the universe brought us together when we were both single again. After our third date, and a kiss goodnight, I remember he just blurted out "You know what?! I love you. I've totally fallen for you!"

I didn't say those 3 words back immediately, but I did tell him that I was falling too.

We say it to each other everyday. :) If we're spending the night with one another, it's the thing we say before we drift off to sleep and the first we say to each other when we wake up.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
he said it first after a month and i said it back a week later :)

we say it all the time now but i never say it when i don't mean it. maybe a few times a day. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results