shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarins always available on GIA stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hal

Rough_Rock
Very simply, is a Sarin report ALWAYS available on a GIA certified stone? I just want to be able to know difinitively, as the answer I''ve gotten from the local jewel is "NO".

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
as far as i know, NO. a sarin report is only done and provided by a jeweller/ appraiser who has the machine.

read this entry to find out more.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
No, they do not accompany a GIA cert, and must be run separately...that said, you should have no trouble getting one done in many cases if you ask.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Very simply, is a Sarin report ALWAYS available on a GIA certified stone? I just want to be able to know difinitively, as the answer I've gotten from the local jewel is 'NO'.

The answer is no. The Sarin report should be supplied by the diamond dealer and if asked for should come with the stone free of charge. The Sarin is a $5,000 piece of equipment. The investment in that machine should be done on the supplier level and not on the appraisal level. Most of the stones an appraiser gets are usually mounted. If I were in the selling business on the supplier level I would definitely make the investment. Our advice to clients deciding on purchase is to ask for the Sarin report prior to any commitment. Some appraisers may have a Sarin but they may very well be involved in the selling of stones. Just my opinion....Cindy

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
The Sarin is a $5,000 piece of equipment. The investment in that machine should be done on the supplier level and not on the appraisal level.

Actually, ours is a $45,000.00 piece of equipment. The $5,000.00 version is kind of a toy, but it works for those who aren't so precise
2.gif

The primary difference is in the ability to measure diamonds of differnet sizes, variances in the software and the quality of the optics used to measure the stone.

As well covered in this thread, Sarin or OGI results are not available on GIA graded diamonds unless provided by the seller. The GIA considers the results of their computerized proportions analysis to be 'proprietary' and will only release the results to the person or company who originally submitted the diamond for grading and even then they don't like to release the information and in our experience will not do so in the form of a traditional proportions report. Be sure to get the full page version of the proportions analysis and not just the little Avery mailing type label version of the results because the label only shows the averages and the full page report reveals the solution to the puzzle.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Some appraisers may have a Sarin but they may very well be involved in the selling of stones.
-----------

I agree with you that few appraisers have Sarin machines, but I wouldn't use this broad a brush to paint those that do.

Take RockDoc, for example. It would be hard to find a better example of someone NOT involved in the selling of stones, yet he has a Sarin.

I point this out because I am about to purchase a Sarin, and would hate for consumers to be suspicious of me being "non-independent" because I own one.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Rich, Which machine are you looking at. I've been looking for a while myself but I keep waiting for technology to improve...I have even been speaking with Marty Haske about his 'machine' but keep putting it off. Cindy

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have a professional Sarin that ran us about 23K some years back. We also have had two Ogi SYstem measuring devices. Both brands work quickly and with reasonable accuracy. Each firm gives adequate customer support and basically the devices have been virtually bulletproof.

The Ogi's were somewhat less costly, but with their laser writing capability, the two did cost more than the single Sarin.

We will shortly be using an Imagem device in one of my appraisal offices that will outmeasure the Sarin or Ogi equipment. It is a lot more accurate piece of equipment, but not readily available to dealers or appraisers just yet. It will come out in 2004 with much more info then ofered to potential users. See: www.imageminc.com for limited details.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Rich, Which machine are you looking at. I've been looking for a
while myself but I keep waiting for technology to improve...
-----------

I've been looking at the Diamension, with the latest Diavision software and capabilities of measuring stones up to 28 mm. The same machine Rhino has, which to my understanding is their "premier" machine, other than the one which measures and analyzes rough. It's offered at about 20 grand.

Dave's post has got my attention though. If there's a more accurate instrument than the Sarin, I would definitely be interested.

Dave, do you have any idea of the price range the Imagem will be offered at?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Imagem devices will be loaned to bulk users on a "per stone processed" fee basis. This will eliminate most independent labs as their potential for high pass through would be very unlikely. I think the Ogi or Sarin tools need your scrutiny for possible purchase.

You don't need the capability to go to 28 mm very often. The Ogi has an excellent work around for diamonds above it's full size ability and the Sarin also can work on oversized stones with a great deal of accuracy. 15 / 16 mm is far more reasonanable a size limit provided there is a way to "work around" these max limits...And there is.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, Dave.

The OGI is appealing in price, but I really like the capability of inputting the Sarin profile directly into the DiamCalc software and "recreating" the stone, along with computing a very accurate light return analysis.

I guess I'll probably end up going with the Sarin, and maybe saving a few bucks because of your tip.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hey! My milestone 100 post! I will never catch up with you guys...

Anyway, Rich, maybe we can buy two Sarins together and save a few bucks?? Something to think about. I love buying equipment. Cindy

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Anyway, Rich, maybe we can buy two Sarins together and save a few bucks??
-----------

It's worth a try, eh?

I'll let you know when I get down to the nitty-gritty, and in the meantime you hone in on what you think you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results