shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarah, about lawschool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sarah,

I wanted to respond before, and I''m sorry I didn''t.

But here are my thoughts on the law school subject.

I was NOT a hard worker in college. I went to a great school, but I''ve a) always been a great test taker b) a decent brown noser and c) interested (and therefore actually exerted myself) in english and history (major and minor). So I did well in college. And I did extemely well on the LSAT. So my situation was diferent than yours is.

But from my own experiences, and my friends, here is my advice.\

Kaplan was GREAT for the LSAT. Take it as far in advance. Take the LSAT once, wait… take it again if you need to. Taking it twice is NOT a problem. If you aren''t happy the first time, its OKAY to take it twice. The earlier you start, the more time you have to study and absorb the Kaplan information. Time helps with that exam.

Don''t worry about pre-law courses. First year is all about de-programing and re-programing you anyway. Lawschools like diversity. Seriously, an engineer has a better chance of getting in than a pre-law major, all other things being equal (several of my friends now work with as alumni with admissions at lawschools).

DO get practical experience such as being an intern (public interest organizations are always looking for free labor), ask a LOT of questions while you are there, and talk to as many lawyers about their actual lawschool experiences as you can.

Do involve yourself in somethings that are social minded but not law related: volunteering at an animal shelter, fostering animals, volunteer in a political thing, a hospital. Relate the experiences from things OUTSIDE of school to your interest in law in your admission letter or in your interview. Lawshools want diversity of intersted and well rounded students.

DO take a law school prep course before you first year which teaches you 1) legal writing-- particularly things like IRAC and CIRAC (formats for legal essays, if they are still used) 2) how to take notes and organize them 3) some fundementals of the core first year subjects.

DO, realize that most lawschool grades are based 100% on ONE TEST. Usually an essay test. Some other things may factor in, but primarily its just ONE test that determines your grade. So if you aren''t a good test taker, be careful. I had a girl in my classes who got VIOLENTLY ill 10 minutes before an exam (would ALWAYS throw up right before from stess). She had to be hospitalized a couple of times, and reschedule her exams. BUT, the flip side is… as they are comprehesive essay exams IF you work hard during the semester EVERY DAY and keep your notes in good order and are constantly reviewing them YOU WILL SUCEED. My roomate my first year was a VERY VERY hard worker. Terrible test taker. She worked intensely hard her first year, did well enough to transfer to Yale, where she was rejected from initially because of her LSAT.

When in your first year ASK EVERY QUESTION THAT YOU CAN, either in class, or in office hours. No matter who makes you feel like you are an idiot, or who makes snide comments. Again my roomate. People used to ask me if she had a learning disability because she asked SO MANY FREAKING questions in class. They thought it was that or she was an attention monger. It was neither… and boy did they have egg on their faces when she went to Yale.

Start RIGHT NOW getting mentally prepared. Take yoga, or something that helps you deal with stress. There is some crazy statistic out there that says something like 70% of law students get clinically depressed in law school.

Do what you can to get the best grade you can. It''s ALL about grades in lawschool. Brown-nose, haunt professors office hours, whatever.

And honey, take care of yourself.

Another piece of advice is the EXACT opposite of the advice I was given. I was told to go to the BEST lawschool (ranking wise) that I could. Now, the name of my lawschool has opened doors for me, I would be lying if I denied that. But honestly, go to the place where a) you have the least loans and b) you will be able to excel at the best in LIFE and in grades. I moved 2000 miles away from home, was suddently a little fish in a big pond, and seriously started to spiral. I KNOW that if I had gone to one of the other schools that accepted me, I would been healthier, happier, and ultimately more immediately successful. So don''t stress if you don''t get into Yale, or whatever. Look at the places you are applying to, look at the places you are accepted to, then make a TOTAL PACKAGE determination.

Also, there is a book… 1000 things to do with a law degree. Go to the bookstore and read the at least first couple of chapters. Some ridiculous number of attorneys drop out of practice after their first four years. It''s stressful. Research alternatives NOW, especially before you incurr a ton of debt in school… you may never need a plan B. But if you do, at least you''ll have prepared yourself, and you''ll know what you need to do to get there, be financially stable, and be professionally satisfied.

Again, these are just my thoughts and my experiences. But I thought I''d offer them anyway. Take care honey. And BEST OF LUCK.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the middle of a multiple-day take-home law exam and adding my $0.02 is better than beating my head against a wall, so here goes.

I did the opposite of what Gypsy did, and went to a school close to home, where I could stay with my then-BF, now-FI. I got a kickin' scholarship, but it's a state school so it was nice to know that even if I bomb first year and lose my scholarship, I still won't come out with MASSIVE debt hanging over my head. Even doing law school "on the cheap" is expensive, though, especially if you have any undergrad debt. But honestly, this is the best thing I could have done. FI's support has been priceless, and I have other non-law-related friends around to take my mind off it sometimes. I never realized what a huge help that would be. And I definitely don't feel like I'm getting a second-class education, even though we do have a top-10 school in our backyard. If you're aiming to work at a tippy-top law firm with thousands of applicants for each opening, the "brand" of your school can matter, but if you want to do anything in public interest or public service, or you don't want the Biglaw life, managing your debtload is terrifically important.

You'll hear this everywhere, but 1L sucks. It will suck differently for different people, but there will, at some point, come a time where you wonder what on EARTH you were thinking to sign up for this. I'm at that point right now. I loved first semester, and even the exams didn't stress me out too much, but my second semester was horrendous and now it's culminating in the worst two weeks in recent memory. It's just something you have to suck up and get through. All the 2Ls and 3Ls I know assure me that it gets better, so I'm taking their word for it. But there are some really interesting options for next year, and I'm definitely excited about that!

The things Gypsy said about doing interesting things, but not necessarily law-related, seem 100% on point to me. I worked for a nonprofit organization for a couple years after college and it provides gobs of conversation with interviewers, as does my involvement with a well-known service organization in my city. I get asked about these far more than about the summer I spent working at a small law firm.

I did many of the other things backward. I didn't take prep classes for either the LSAT or pre-1L. At the beginning of the year, they taught us about briefing and outlining and note-taking, but it doesn't really work for me so I developed my own methods and they work for me. If a method doesn't work for you, don't be afraid to try something else just because it's not the "right" way to do it. But do give the tried-and-true way a try before you decide! A lot of 1L year is just figuring out how you work and how you can apply it to schoolwork.

I've procrastinated long enough, but I wanted to give a current student's perspective, too!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

Thank you so much for this post! You are so helpful and so sweet! I also think you give great advice. I am not good at standardized tests, so it makes me a bit concerned about the LSAT; however, the part I blew it on the SAT was the math. And the LSAT is logic not math. I''m good at logic, not so good with numbers. I know math is logic, but I don''t know numbers just get me sometimes. As for class tests, I feel more stressed if I know I need to bring my grade up. I didn''t do so well on one of my midterms (I got a C+ ugh I cannot believe it, not good!) and it was worth 1/6th of my grade, so I needed to do well on the final to make sure I got a B+ or so. My GPA isn''t fab (by my standards), but it''s above average for the school. I wanted Phi Beta Kappa, but I think I am going to miss it by .50 of a point or so.

So from reading your advice this is what I think I need to do before applying/starting: keep my GPA of course, take the LSAT the first time (I am registered for June 16), then take it again if I need to, take a law school prep course, and stay involved (I haven''t volunteered at the animal shelter in a while, but I will get back to that). Sorry if I missed, anything. I am going to save your post. Hehe.
5.gif

Emotionally/mentally: I need to keep my test anxiety in check. So far, other than my first final, it''s been pretty smooth. All of my others went well, so I just need to keep working on it. I have one tomorrow yaaay (I also have one summer final and two more semesters of finals to practice).

The good news: I typically do well on essay tests, yay! Haha.

That book sounds interesting, btw! I am going to look for it. I have a 15% BN coupon and FI had the membership thingy so I might just buy it.

The decision: Thank you for addressing this, I was wondering about this. See, I want to apply to schools in VA. And one of the schools in VA that I know I could get in and I am at least 75% sure I could get a pretty-close to full if not full scholarship to kind of has a bad rep nationally as being crazy conservative (when in all reality it isn''t anymore, but it was). Moreover, it''s a relatively new law school, so that worries me as well. But I was wondering, is it worth it to apply here? Will I get a job if I go here? So maybe it''s worth it to just apply and go from there because I would definitely have the least loans and I think be in the top of my class there. All the other VA schools are going to cost me $150,000 and I''m still a bit hesitant to spend that much money. Hey I am thinking about throwing Harvard or Yale in there for fun! I applied to Princeton for undergrad for fun and that rejection letter didn''t hurt at least, haha. But anyway, I want to work in VA or DC after law school.

The other good news: Last fall I was completely confused and not sure if I wanted to go to law school. I walked around thinking about it and talking about it all the time (almost drove FI and my parents crazy). I''m not sure when it happened (maybe it was when FI''s grandma decided I was going for me, haha. I am just kidding, but she did do that), but one day it wasn''t a question anymore. I knew it was what I wanted to do, and it was always what I wanted to do. I mean I used to get so sad when I would say maybe I won''t go, and I couldn''t figure out why. Now I know why, it''s because I did want to go I was just afraid to go. So I am determined, committed, and I know I can do this. I also think it helps that my family and FI are supporting me. He is going to continue working while I go to law school. After that I think he''ll go to grad school.

So I do worry about being stressed in law school, but as long as I can keep developing healthy pre-test habits I can do this. I have the study skills down, that''s no problem. It''s just staying calm and relaxed before the test that I am trying to practice and get better at. While the test will count for my whole grade, that''s not what I need to be thinking about going in there. That''s probably the worst thing for me to be thinking about because that''s usually how I psych myself out (e.g. Wow this test is going to make or break my A, If I don''t do well I''ll lose my A). Instead I need to be confident because I know the material and start thinking about potential questions. Things like that. I feel like every test I take is a step in the right direction at this point since it''s non-stressful test-taking practice.

Again, thank you. I think I underestimate myself sometimes or start to lose confidence when I get nervous. My pre-law mentor that is at the law school I want to get in (I want to attend the same law school as my undergraduate school) has forced me to stop stressing about my chances and offered to even read over my personal statement. Which I think will be great because she used to work with the school''s admissions committee and has talked to the Dean and knows what they want. Only one last question: where can I find a pre-law prep course? I don''t think I''ve seen any here, so I thought I''d ask. Thank you again for reading through this and offering your advice!
4.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 3:31:26 PM
Author: Octavia
I''m in the middle of a multiple-day take-home law exam and adding my $0.02 is better than beating my head against a wall, so here goes.

I did the opposite of what Gypsy did, and went to a school close to home, where I could stay with my then-BF, now-FI. I got a kickin'' scholarship, but it''s a state school so it was nice to know that even if I bomb first year and lose my scholarship, I still won''t come out with MASSIVE debt hanging over my head. Even doing law school ''on the cheap'' is expensive, though, especially if you have any undergrad debt. But honestly, this is the best thing I could have done. FI''s support has been priceless, and I have other non-law-related friends around to take my mind off it sometimes. I never realized what a huge help that would be. And I definitely don''t feel like I''m getting a second-class education, even though we do have a top-10 school in our backyard. If you''re aiming to work at a tippy-top law firm with thousands of applicants for each opening, the ''brand'' of your school can matter, but if you want to do anything in public interest or public service, or you don''t want the Biglaw life, managing your debtload is terrifically important.

You''ll hear this everywhere, but 1L sucks. It will suck differently for different people, but there will, at some point, come a time where you wonder what on EARTH you were thinking to sign up for this. I''m at that point right now. I loved first semester, and even the exams didn''t stress me out too much, but my second semester was horrendous and now it''s culminating in the worst two weeks in recent memory. It''s just something you have to suck up and get through. All the 2Ls and 3Ls I know assure me that it gets better, so I''m taking their word for it. But there are some really interesting options for next year, and I''m definitely excited about that!

The things Gypsy said about doing interesting things, but not necessarily law-related, seem 100% on point to me. I worked for a nonprofit organization for a couple years after college and it provides gobs of conversation with interviewers, as does my involvement with a well-known service organization in my city. I get asked about these far more than about the summer I spent working at a small law firm.

I did many of the other things backward. I didn''t take prep classes for either the LSAT or pre-1L. At the beginning of the year, they taught us about briefing and outlining and note-taking, but it doesn''t really work for me so I developed my own methods and they work for me. If a method doesn''t work for you, don''t be afraid to try something else just because it''s not the ''right'' way to do it. But do give the tried-and-true way a try before you decide! A lot of 1L year is just figuring out how you work and how you can apply it to schoolwork.

I''ve procrastinated long enough, but I wanted to give a current student''s perspective, too!

Thank you so much! It all makes sense to me. The 2L I know also told me 1L sucks beyond belief, but 2L is better and 3L is better. So at least I have people telling me to be prepared for it to suck. I couldn''t imagine if I didn''t know that ahead of time, I think that would have been bad! Well, this summer I am going to be doing a political internship for the first 2 months or so. After that, I am taking a summer class, but I''ll have some free time to do some volunteering and whatnot since it''s only one class. I am also trying to get a part-time job. I think what you''re saying about taking notes and whatnot makes sense, too. I''ve got a system that works pretty well for me, but I can adapt. I usually adapt it via Professor, some talk faster than others, etc. I am getting excited, believe it or not. I am one exam away from my last year, yay! I am ready to be done with undergrad and move on to something more challenging. Let''s see if I am saying ahhhh I miss undergrad when I''m a 1L lolol.
37.gif
I think you get what I''m saying.
11.gif
The biggest thing I''ve learned from the two of you is to keep my options open. So I am trying to decide if I want to try to apply early decision or not to my number 1 choice, it may be a bad idea since it will most definitely mean $150,000+ in debt.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah,

From your post, it sounds like you are considering GMU as your "safe" school in VA. I would say, yes - it is worth applying there, especially if you think you can get a scholarship. Its reputation is on the rise in the DC area and I know there are some great firms in DC that hire from there (not to mention other firms in VA). I used to live near the school and actually studied for the bar in their library - it''s really nice! If you really want to be in the DC market, I really would advise sticking with a DC-area school, unless you go to like a top-10 school. If you have any idea what firms you''re interested in (I had NO idea until my second year of law school), you may want to see where they traditionally hire from. Big firms in the DC area are well-stocked with lawyers from Gtown, GWU, American, Catholic, GMU, Maryland and UVA - and of course others, but it seems those are almost always represented in some form or another!

Cast a wide net, but once you find out where you get in, really try and visit and see what the atmosphere is like. You''ve got to be as happy and comfortable as you can for 3 years. Law school is tough, but it''s so much better if you''re in a collaborative environment with helpful professors and non-arsehole classmates!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the advice Krissie! You know, speaking of mean classmates. I''ve heard some horror stories about Georgetown being beyond crazy competitive (I''ve heard that people rip pages out of books in the library, etc.), anyone know if this is true?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Sarah, the prep course I've heard the most about is called LEEWS. If you google it, I'm pretty sure they have a webpage. I can't help more than that, though, because like I said I never did any of that.

ETA: don't worry about this too early, though. I think people said a month or two before school started was plenty.

ETAAgain: there are horror stories about pretty much every law school, if you dig them up. But we don't use books much anymore, now that Lexis and Westlaw are all online. You might be forced to use books at first, so you know how to do it, but I haven't opened a physical book from the library since the 3rd week of school. And a good friend of mine is at Georgetown, and LOOOVES it. Don't assume that Paperchase is relevant to law school anymore
3.gif
At my school, we have a crazy curve but even so people aren't terribly competitive -- and I've heard it's actually better at schools with a better curve.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Haha good!!
36.gif
I forgot about that, but it makes sense because we don''t even have a lot of textbooks in undergrad anymore. It''s mostly in history classes where we get like 5 300 page books or politics where we get huge course readers. Most of it is online scanned articles now. I''m silly. Wish there was a slapping yourself on the forehead emoticon.
12.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, just thought I''d throw my $.02 in since I''m graduating in a couple of weeks (I had my last law school final EVER yesterday--whoo! now just gotta get off PS and write this darn paper
39.gif
)...

Law school was the scariest thing I''ve ever done. That''s not saying much because I don''t usually do things when I am afraid of failure... and I have historically had CRIPPLING anxiety issues...but here''s the thing--I have SO much pride that I have gotten through law school (well, I haven''t ACTUALLY done it YET, but it''s hard to be closer than I am!
10.gif
)

I worked my tush off--everyone does. My grades were not good, to be honest. But I have worked and worked and worked and learned SO much, and I love the way law school has made me think.

Has it been torture? Heck yes. But wow, is it an accomplishment.

I worked at big firms in between college and law school and decided that for myself, I am not interested in going that route (though wow, it would be amazing to make that kind of money!!)--plus, with my grades, I wouldn''t be able to get there right now either. I used to reeeeally beat up on myself for not getting the grades I wanted. But I am SO proud of the work I''ve done, and I know that my grades in no way predict the kind of compassionate and knowledgeable lawyer I will shortly be.
Anyway, when I worked at those big firms, EVERYONE told me not to go to law school. Why? Because despite the fact that they were all making 3-4 figure salaries, they were all miserable. No one I knew liked the work they did.

What''s my point...my point is that do something you WANT to do--don''t get stuck in so much debt that you feel you can''t follow your dream because you can''t afford to live. Also, if you don''t get the highest grades in your class, don''t give up on yourself, because grades, although they do most certainly help, are not the end-all be-all, and I know loads of amazing attorneys who were not great law students.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarah, two things. If you are going to do Kaplan I would do it before the first time (might be only time) you take the LSAT. Up to you, but that't my advice. I am really glad Octavia posted about her lawschool decision making, because that's exactly what I do if I could make the decision again.

I went to Georgetown for law school. It can be a great school and a wonderful experience, there are things I loved about it. But for me, I should have gone to UCLA or better yet USD (scholarship...lol). DO NOT do ANY alternative ciriculum programs-- just don't, trust me. I didn't go to another law school so I don't have a reference point to say whether it was more competitive for less. I will say that the first week of lawschool everyone was bragging about their undergrad schools, instead of people telling your their names when you were introduced to them they would say "Hi I'm Tom, Harvard." I thought it was hilarious but it also really psyched me out. We were jockeying for position, everyone was insecure and scared.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 4:44:17 PM
Author: alli_esq
EVERYONE told me not to go to law school. Why? Because despite the fact that they were all making 3-4 figure salaries, they were all miserable. No one I knew liked the work they did.

What''s my point...my point is that do something you WANT to do--don''t get stuck in so much debt that you feel you can''t follow your dream because you can''t afford to live. Also, if you don''t get the highest grades in your class, don''t give up on yourself, because grades, although they do most certainly help, are not the end-all be-all, and I know loads of amazing attorneys who were not great law students.
Yeah, most lawyers I know are miserable. At the last lawschool wedding I was at it was like a B*tch fest about everything bad about being a lawyer and how no one would do it again.
20.gif

My grades were not great. And I am a good lawyer. Alli is right, lawschool and how well you do does NOT affect how good a lawyer you are... it does make your life easier. It does make your employment opportunities better, and your grades follow you 7-10 years out, so they matter to the profession. But if you don''t get good grades it''s not the end of the world. At all. Great advice alli!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy - fellow Hoya!! (I went to GT for undergrad)

Sarah, I think all law schools can be competitive to a degree. A lot of it is so psychological - everyone was a high achiever, did well in undergrad, and is suddenly thrust into a new environment where very few will be at the top of the class. I just ignored it and didn''t really make many law school friends until my second year (when the pressure was off). It was great that I had a social network outside of school.

I work for a big firm, and while there are disadvantages (hours, stress, etc.) there are also many cool opportunities. I never would have thought that I''d be practicing the kind of law I do now. But I generally love it!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Alli I wanted to say congrats and thank you for adding your thoughts and experience!!
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy - I didn''t realize you went to Georgetown, but it makes sense because you''ve talked about DC before. That is hilarious about people introducing themselves. I''d definitely be laughing at people internally. I am definitely used to braggers, haha. For the most part I am surrounded by people who are seriously upset if they get an A- over an A. I am sort of included in that, but if it says A I am usually pretty happy. I know when I applied to my internship when I saw the e-mail telling me they received the app and would let me know later, I looked at the CC list. I saw all the Princeton, Harvard, etc., e-mail addresses and I was like wow I am screwed. There is NO WAY I am getting this. Well I was wrong.
20.gif
So now that I know that''s silly, I don''t plan on doing that one again!
10.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:00:32 PM
Author: Krissie
Gypsy - fellow Hoya!! (I went to GT for undergrad)

Sarah, I think all law schools can be competitive to a degree. A lot of it is so psychological - everyone was a high achiever, did well in undergrad, and is suddenly thrust into a new environment where very few will be at the top of the class.
HIYA FELLOW HOYA!!!
9.gif

Krissie is absolutely right, you go from being big fish, small pond to little fish big pond. It can be very unsettling. It honestly was for me, "Layla, notHarvard." LOL.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Haha!!
36.gif
36.gif
Well I kind of felt that way a bit when I transferred here to be honest. When I would tell people where I transferred from they''d be like huuh? Where''s that? Or where I went to HS. Huuh, where''s that? Most of them went to private or NoVA ivy league feeder schools.
4.gif
My school..wasn''t a feeder school. Heh heh heh.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a lawyer but this thread is interesting to me. What type of law do you practice or want to practice?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Me? Well I don''t know if I am qualified to answer, but I can give you my pre-law answer! I am a politics major concentrating in international relations of east asia mostly, so for me international law is interesting. National security law is also interesting. However, I have found that I am in love with contracts! I am weird. So maybe corporate law would be the area? Maybe I a not qualified to answer this after all.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:20:37 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
I'm not a lawyer but this thread is interesting to me. What type of law do you practice or want to practice?
I work in house, primarily on procurement contracts-- I negotiate, draft, revise (and revise, and revise) contracts. I also advise people internally on contract related matters. I have other things I do, but that's the main focus of my job. I don't have to be an attorney to do what I do-- in terms of the broad umbrella of managing contracts, but to do many of the specific types of things I do with contracts I do have to be an attorney. For example, I negotiate with opposing cousel directly. My boss, who isn't an attorney but also manages contracts, doesn't. I do that for all the contract she manages, as well as my own. She also does not touch revisions to the 'legal' provisions of contracts, but is limited to business portions. I do both, and do her legal provisions as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:02:58 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Alli I wanted to say congrats and thank you for adding your thoughts and experience!!
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy - I didn''t realize you went to Georgetown, but it makes sense because you''ve talked about DC before. That is hilarious about people introducing themselves. I''d definitely be laughing at people internally. I am definitely used to braggers, haha. For the most part I am surrounded by people who are seriously upset if they get an A- over an A. I am sort of included in that, but if it says A I am usually pretty happy. I know when I applied to my internship when I saw the e-mail telling me they received the app and would let me know later, I looked at the CC list. I saw all the Princeton, Harvard, etc., e-mail addresses and I was like wow I am screwed. There is NO WAY I am getting this. Well I was wrong.
20.gif
10.gif
I''m glad it won''t through you for a loop. Everytime someone does something that makes you insecure or psychs you out in lawschool try to think it through, why are they doing it, what''s their motivation, and try not to let it affect you. I thought is was strange. And funny. But it DID make me feel very insecure. I went to a UC, which in terms of ranking is strong, but I never saw it as a ''big deal'' or ever bragged about it. It just was. You know?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a lawyer but this thread is interesting to me. What type of law do you practice or want to practice?

family law
4.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:35:52 PM

family law
4.gif
Oh wow. I interned doing family law. That takes guts!!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:34:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 5/8/2008 5:02:58 PM

Author: SarahLovesJS

36.gif
36.gif

20.gif
10.gif
I''m glad it won''t through you for a loop. Everytime someone does something that makes you insecure or psychs you out in lawschool try to think it through, why are they doing it, what''s their motivation, and try not to let it affect you. I thought is was strange. And funny. But it DID make me feel very insecure. I went to a UC, which in terms of ranking is strong, but I never saw it as a ''big deal'' or ever bragged about it. It just was. You know?

I can see how it would in law school, I think I am forgetting the new place part. I didn''t start to ignore bragging of my classmates until I had been here for a semester and had great grades. I forgot that.
14.gif
I was afraid everyone was smarter than me at first. Since I know this ahead of time maybe I can prevent it though if I remind myself that it''s just everyone trying to feel better about themselves. But I understand what you''re saying, you just went to a great school and didn''t really sit around thinking wow I go to a great school. There''s really so much more to an undergraduate education than a name. I have a friend going to Princeton and I can guarantee you that they know a lot less than some of the people I go to school with that have the same major. Don''t get me wrong, Princeton is great, it''s just I know from looking into the specific program they chose at Princeton it''s pretty weak; whereas, our program is decently strong.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly Sarah. You''ll be fine, you''ve got a good head on your shoulders.
2.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I work in the investment funds arena - lately, doing more offshore work than US work
19.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:44:17 PM
Exactly Sarah. You''ll be fine, you''ve got a good head on your shoulders.
2.gif

Thank you! Wow this is interesting seeing what everyone does!

I just wanted to get in on this thread...it always amazes me how many lawyers/law students there are out there!

Sarah, I think everyone here gave really excellent advice. I am currently studying for my last final ever (evidence) and I will agree that law school has been such a challenge. At the same time, I agree that it has been so worthwhile and I also love the way it has turned me into a critical thinker. I think it''s really important to always keep in mind your ultimate goals in all of your law school decisions - and remember that you don''t have to do what everyone else is doing! Like people have said, do internships that really interest you rather than things you feel like you "have" to do or those that seem the most prestigious. Law school has a way of making you do things that no person in their right mind would willingly sign up for - law review, for example!

Anyway, it sounds like you are so much more thoughtful and ahead of the game than I was coming into law school, so I think you are in good shape! :) And we are all here to answer your questions along the way.

Gypsy - I am so interested to hear how you moved into your in house position (the dream job of all of us 3Ls who are about to go slave away at biglaw for a few years...) Did you start at a big firm first? I am going to be in DC as well, at a firm, but am interested in making that transition...any advice would be appreciated!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 5:37:23 PM
Date: 5/8/2008 5:35:52 PM

family law
4.gif
Oh wow. I interned doing family law. That takes guts!!
Oh, I got guts. What I don''t got is a job yet.
3.gif

I''m actually not worried about it--I''ve got some prospects out there...I turned down a job in March that did not suit me, and I''m proud of myself for that (I used to just take whatever was offered to me--now I know I''m worth more than that). I''m hopeful about what I''ve got goin on.
16.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
As another law school graduate on PS, I thought I''d chime in with some of my experiences and lessons learned. I went to a top ten law school thinking that I should do as I was told and go to the best law school I got into. And I can honestly say that I regret it. Here''s why:

I worked in recruiting for a top law firm in DC and I can tell you that we took as many students from local good schools as we did from top 10 national schools. The law firms here like the local schools, as do the law firms in most cities. So, if you know what market you want to work in FOR SURE, then go to a school in that area and don''t worry if it''s not a top ten school. Just do well.

I would have been able to go to a slightly lesser law school and receive money from them resulting in less money out of my pocket and fewer loans That would have been VERY nice! I totally agree with Gypsy...look at the package offered to you, don''t just go blindly to the best school you get into like I did.

I am not even practicing law. That may seem like an obvious reason that I regret spending the money to go to a top school, but the real reason that I mention it is because I HIGHLY recommend working for a year or two between undergrad and law school. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, so I went to law school. So did a lot of people at my school. And I can''t tell you how many people I know from law school who, now only two years out, are not practicing law or doing anything even remotely related to law.

Don''t get me wrong, I am glad I have my law degree. However, I really wish I had taken a better financial package and gone to a lower-ranked school to get it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. :) I hope that at least some of it may be helpful! Good luck, Sarah!

Date: 5/8/2008 6:08:20 PM
Author: FacetFire
As another law school graduate on PS, I thought I''d chime in with some of my experiences and lessons learned. I went to a top ten law school thinking that I should do as I was told and go to the best law school I got into. And I can honestly say that I regret it. Here''s why:

I worked in recruiting for a top law firm in DC and I can tell you that we took as many students from local good schools as we did from top 10 national schools. The law firms here like the local schools, as do the law firms in most cities. So, if you know what market you want to work in FOR SURE, then go to a school in that area and don''t worry if it''s not a top ten school. Just do well.

I would have been able to go to a slightly lesser law school and receive money from them resulting in less money out of my pocket and fewer loans That would have been VERY nice! I totally agree with Gypsy...look at the package offered to you, don''t just go blindly to the best school you get into like I did.

I am not even practicing law. That may seem like an obvious reason that I regret spending the money to go to a top school, but the real reason that I mention it is because I HIGHLY recommend working for a year or two between undergrad and law school. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, so I went to law school. So did a lot of people at my school. And I can''t tell you how many people I know from law school who, now only two years out, are not practicing law or doing anything even remotely related to law.

Don''t get me wrong, I am glad I have my law degree. However, I really wish I had taken a better financial package and gone to a lower-ranked school to get it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. :) I hope that at least some of it may be helpful! Good luck, Sarah!
Facet, what line of work are you in now? I''m so curiious! I am planning to practice law for at least two years or so, but I''m always interested in a good exit plan and hearing what others are doing!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
14.gif
(#$& *%&#& #$%&#$& *$%&#@$&
14.gif

I am so jealous of those of you who have no more law school finals ever.

14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
must pass Constitutional Law, must pass Constitutional Law...must sign off PS and finish the *$%& exam
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

(don't worry, it's a 3-day, open-everything-except-discussing-the-questions-with-other-people exam, I'm not hacking ExamSoft or anything!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results