shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphires

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I know that extinction to a degree is inevitable and that big head + dim sky are not conducive to good photography, I feel more secure in posting photos of my two sapphires.

This one is cut by Jeff White. It is unheated.

crsapjw123.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same stone, dimmer light

crsapjw234.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it was indoor light, judging by the background. I had a whole slew of pictures taken in daytime but I do not know where they are.

crsapjw456.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK now two sapphires, one cut by Gary and the other one by Jeff. Both unheated.

crsapjwgb345.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the light, one of them ends up in unfavorable situation. Honestly, Jeff's is more sparkly but the color of Gary's is more violet and darker and that is what I like. Both are nice and both, eventually, will be set.

crjwgb123.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this photo there is a lot of reflection off the sapphire's surface but the color is still lovely.

crjwgbsap456.JPG

crjwgbsap456.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
They both are beautiful.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Linda. Any comments and ideas about settings are welcomed. I never set a sapphire and in contrast to my usual tastes, have a vague feeling that they should be set in diamonds but maybe I am wrong? Someone mentioned Michael E. setting a stone in white topazes or white topaz half-moons... I am afraid that they will be lying in my safe because I simply have no clue. Should I combine Gary's one with other side stones? Just no clue...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
PERFECTION!

Wow. They are both truly magnificent. I do favor Gary's a bit more as well, but both are beautiful. Wow, wow, wow.

Hmnn..I think this won't be a popular idea, but I'd set one in a high carat yellow and the other in platinum (maybe the oval in YG). I love the classic look of an oval with tapered baguettes or half moons. I'd halo the cushion, or make a three stone with two diamond cushions. If halo'd, then maybe a split shank?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
They are both very beautiful! However, Jeff's makes my heart sing - I can't wait to see what you do with them.

For the Jeff cushion, since it's elongated, I think it would look killer in this setting with traps - http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=538 or Bebe's setting with traps and pave (can you tell I like 3-stones w/ trap sides??) - http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=488 or maybe this one with shields and three-sided pave for a super antiquey blingy look - http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=25

ETA: Oh and you can't go wrong with this one for a cushion sapphire I think - http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=520, and for the oval, I think a thin halo could set it off really well - like this one maybe? http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=183 or a split shank halo? http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=351

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Oh I'm in love with the Jeff one. It is gorgeous! :love:
What carat is it?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What gorgeous stones! Really lovely Crasru.

I have to second BEG's suggestion of setting the cushion with traps on either side (or half moons). I adore classic designs as they're far less likely to date.

In terms of diamonds or topaz as accents? Diamonds of course are durable and you get the best sparkle from them but then again they'll be the more expensive option. White topaz doesn't perform as well as diamonds and for a lovely sapphire such as this, I wouldn't go half measures. Although I like the look of the smaller stone it looks (from the photos) that it doesn't have such an impact in all lighting conditions. I would perhaps be tempted to use topaz or sapphires with that one instead.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
They're beautiful Crasru. I can't pick a favourite there, they both look such good colours, I look forward to seeing them in their future settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
I have no idea why you were apprehensive as they are both gorgeous sapphires. The less precise cut sapphire from Gary is all about colour while JW’s sapphire is a balanced mix of colour and brilliance. Seems like the indoor colour of both are still attractive (most sapphires darken or appear to lose saturation). I think these stones deserve the best, hence a lot of fire from diamonds rather than white topazes. Half moons will be perfect!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh ~ how absolutely Heavenly!!!!!!!
And by the way, the pictures are lovely!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Heavenly is right! The colour of those reminds me of the intense blue in medieval illustrated manuscripts. I can't wait to see what you do with these, they are both worthy of high end settings. Wow, what a way to start the day.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Both are beautiful, but you should verify the unheated status by sending them to a lab. Just my two cents. It's not that I don't trust Jeff or Gary, but when it comes to sapphires, I think it's important to have them checked out now, especially so that they will retain their value in the future.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ooh purdy. Both are very nice. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Does the Gary sapphire have some silk in it? It looks dreamy. :love: They're both gorgeous but there's something about the Gary one that I prefer. :lickout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are absolutely amazing ! :love: I think that you've gotten some great setting ideas. putting either of them with white topaz would really be a shame IMO.

-A

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Yum, I love them both! :love:

Consider putting the cushion cut stone in a east/west configuration when setting, it really looks nice that way.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo beautiful blues Crasru!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice!

MoZo

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
Crasru,
Both are beautiful, but you should verify the unheated status by sending them to a lab. Just my two cents. It's not that I don't trust Jeff or Gary, but when it comes to sapphires, I think it's important to have them checked out now, especially so that they will retain their value in the future.

RIght you are. Jeff got me AGL memo on indicating lack of heat or other treatment but I think I should get prestige report.
As to Gary's, I went to my appraiser to ask him to send it to AGL or GIA (he has an account with AGL) and he looked at it under a microscope and said that it was so much silk... he won't bother. So I went with it but I think that when he gets back, I should still send it to AGL.

Ladies, is AGL or GIA better lack-of-treatment-wise? I think GIA could be fine since they are not set. But I'd like to get your opinions. Since I have AGL memo, I think it would make sense to send Jeff's to GIA. What about Gary's?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Crasru,

RIght you are. Jeff got me AGL memo on indicating lack of heat or other treatment but I think I should get prestige report.
As to Gary's, I went to my appraiser to ask him to send it to AGL or GIA (he has an account with AGL) and he looked at it under a microscope and said that it was so much silk... he won't bother. So I went with it but I think that when he gets back, I should still send it to AGL.

Ladies, is AGL or GIA better lack-of-treatment-wise? I think GIA could be fine since they are not set. But I'd like to get your opinions. Since I have AGL memo, I think it would make sense to send Jeff's to GIA. What about Gary's?

GIA is good, but AGL holds more weight in the trade when it comes to colored gems. If you got an AGL treatment report, I wouldn't bother with a full blown prestige report unless it's an origin that gives it substantial value, like Burma or Kashmir. I also don't think you're worried about the quality of color for the price paid, so again, I don't think a Prestige color grading report is necessary. Both appear to be very beautiful and I'm sure, fairly priced. Congratulations. :bigsmile: You are very lucky to not only get two beautifully colored sapphires, but well cut ones as well.

I would still send the stone with all the silk to the AGL because some heated stones can still have silk, believe it or not. Also, who knows, in the future, they might be able treat stones and still retain much of the silk. Treatments are always advancing, changing, and the AGL report would provide proof that it was looked at in the year 2010, when a potential treatment wasn't used. I'm always looking to the future when I talk about reports, not just in "the now." They also give added value to the gem.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear fellow PS-ers! I should name each of you personally, but I hope you'll forgive me if for the lack of time I am not doing it now. I shall do it later, promise.

BEG - thank you for "referrals". I think I should get quotas from Leon and then compare them with what Whiteflash and Brian Gavin would offer. My jeweler here did a very good job with paveing and split-shanking my alex so I shall talk to him as well. They both deserve nice settings but it is also some $$ and I also have another project in mind for a stone that I yet have not received...but hope to in the nearest future.

Whoever had good experience with our famed jewelers - could you, please, chip in? I know that Chrono had marvellous collaboration with Whiteflash, and ArjunaJane worked well with Brian, and Uppy worked very well with Grace, so I'd appreciate any ideas, or names.

And Gary's is 2.3 if memory doesn't fail me. I thin Jeff's is 3.3 or something like it... I have to pull out his invoice. Both are nice people to work with and given my penchant for blue-blue sapphires... I honestly think the prices were fair, too, since I had a chance to compare them with what goes around and some sapphires sold by other esteemed vendors and also good B&M stores.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I just had to pick myself up off the floor! Gorgeousness!!!! I'm smitten by Gary's cushion.

As for setting, please consider contacting Jewels by Erica Grace. Thier service and product are impeccible, and their prices are on the lower end for top quality custom goods.

eta: I just finished reading your thread, and apologize I didn't see your acknowlegement of JbEG. I can't say enough about the quality of their work!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks for mentioning jbEG. I have to browse their website; do not know too much of them. But since I am also looking for quotas...good idea.

And both stones are on their websites. Gary's is 2.34 and Jeff's is just a tad below 3.3. I think my photos are more realistic and I am just waiting for some sun to take daytime photos. The stones are something in daytime!

I can not even compare them because Jeff's is more typical cornflower blue and Gary's a shade darker. Probably most people would prefer cornflower in real life but I like them dark. None of them leaks or gets inky in the evening, though. But trust me, both are joy to look at!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
They are lovely. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
They're both stunning, with gorgeous velvety blue colour. :love:

I like Uppy's Mahenge Spinel from Erica Grace, I think it'll look great with your Jeff White Sapphire.

I also love Van Craeynest's hand made rings, with fine details and great craftsmenship, here's the link to a thread on VC rings:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-some-van-craeynest.79472/

Crasru, if you get tired of Gene's pink/red sapphires and wants to get rid of them please let me know. ;)) :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results