shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TiCoyote

Rough_Rock
My g/f and I like the idea of a lab created sapphire for an engagement ring, considering the cost and environmental impact.

Does a lab created sapphire have any drawbacks? Appearance? Resistance to crack/chip?

Also, why do Chatham stones cost several hundred dollars, when other companies (www.pehnec.com) charge less than a dollar per stone?

-Jamie

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

There is a technique called a Vernueli furnace which makes a synethetic ruby or sapphire (corrundum) that has been around for well over 100 years and makes very cheap stones. The same sort of process is used to make CZ and some other crstals

There is also a process of growing a crystal from a seed - like experiments you may have done in school with salt, alum or copper sulphate. But this requires melting alumina at very high temperatures (creating a bigger carbon footpriont). This produces stones that you could not tell apart - that cost a lot more, but junkies prefer because of the similarity to natural growth. Same techniques as used to make crystals for lasers.

You should ask questions like this in the coloured gems section on the forum

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
So, Gary, you''re saying the cheaper ones are better for the environment? Do they look as good, or do the more expensive ones look better? Could a casual viewer tell them apart, or would you need to examine them with tools?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Synthetics cannot be discussed on this forum.

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 10:08:23 AM
Author: Pandora II
Here''s my question. The OP posted this under Man-Made/Lab Diamonds, and a moderator moved it to here. So where CAN you discuss lab created gems (non-diamonds)? I''m mostly asking this because of another new post about lab sapphires that was posted and the person was told to discuss it in MMD/LAB diamond forum, but obviously that''s not the right forum!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:32:33 PM
Author: newsboysgrl777

Date: 1/15/2009 10:08:23 AM
Author: Pandora II
Here''s my question. The OP posted this under Man-Made/Lab Diamonds, and a moderator moved it to here. So where CAN you discuss lab created gems (non-diamonds)? I''m mostly asking this because of another new post about lab sapphires that was posted and the person was told to discuss it in MMD/LAB diamond forum, but obviously that''s not the right forum!
This is really a question for the mods I think..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen good synths and bad ones. The Chatham ones look much better to my eyes, hence the more expensive pricing. I do not believe they are any more resistant to damage than a natural sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results