shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire...what color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenreber

Rough_Rock
Hello Colored Gem Fans...I''m wondering what is most desired when it comes to Sapphire color.
I''ve always thought deep, velvet blue. But I''m being told by my jeweler that it''s actually the lighter tones that are most sought after/higher quality.
Thanks for any info.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi there!

They say that the "Kashmir Blue" are the most sought after, but part of it is personal preference. My first sapphire was really, really dark. When I had to replace it, I opted for something more mid-range.

This link may help. I used it to try and sort out where in the spectrum I wanted my stone to be in...then I used this website to direct the cutter as to the colour I wanted. You can see in the graph at the bottom, that the most ''sought after'' colours are also the more expensive ones.

Link: http://crossjewelers.com/sapphire/HowToBuyAsapphire.htm

Have fun and enjoy the process!

LS

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 6:19:57 PM
Author:jenreber
Hello Colored Gem Fans...I''m wondering what is most desired when it comes to Sapphire color.
I''ve always thought deep, velvet blue. But I''m being told by my jeweler that it''s actually the lighter tones that are most sought after/higher quality.
Thanks for any info.
I think you''re right, but you can save $$$ if you prefer some other shade.

Here''s a nice Kashmir blue from Wildfishgems.

ks35-1_490.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note the keyword: deep velvet blue. Not dark. Perhaps your jeweller means the same thing and wants to make sure you aren''t thinking the dark ones are considered high quality?

Flygirl posted a good example of a sought after shade. You''ll also see some yummy blues at www.cherrypicked.com

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
WHATEVER COLOR LOST SAPPHIRE''S IS!!!!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 7:30:44 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 10/15/2008 6:19:57 PM
Author:jenreber
Thanks for any info.
I think you''re right, but you can save $$$ if you prefer some other shade.

Here''s a nice Kashmir blue from Wildfishgems.
That''s a really gorgeous one too!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lost Sapphire - thanks for the link - I like the Royal blue the best. I would say a lot of it is personal preference but I don''t like the navy or black sapphires.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
BTW LS... What color does yours classify as?

jenreber

Rough_Rock
Thank you all....Your time and expertise are greatly apprciated!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 11:55:10 PM
Author: Kelli
BTW LS... What color does yours classify as?
BLUEBERRY!

I don't know...somewhere in the middle of the blue charts....but the cut of the stone is a huge factor in how much light gets through it. I am amazed at the difference in the colour from before Jeff White recut it, and afterwards.

The original stone was a lot darker. Once he did his magic, WOW. It shoots arrows.

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results