shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire help

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I am hoping you all can help me with a sapphire. I have purchased a few that have not been what I am looking for and returned them but am feeling frustrated. I LOVE :love: :love: :love: yanaazul's ring [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-bezel-ring-david-klass.216659/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-bezel-ring-david-klass.216659/[/URL] and with a few mods to the setting would like to create that. I particularly like the bezel aspect which is part of my problem. I originally wanted an oval but all I have found and had sent seemed to be dark on half when looking at them on my hand. I would set an oval e/w. I have 2 on the way from Dana at mastercut and have a round that was I think actually the other stone that yanaazul was considering. Gemfix told me that the round I have currently is somewhat silky which is what gives it the glow and lightness that I love in yanaazul's ring in the bezel. I am looking for ~7mm ish stone round or 8x6 oval. I like the gemfix stone but it is more than I wanted to spend. Ideally I would like to max at $1500 for the stone alone but could go higher if I am in love. I just have no idea how to read the photos online to get to what I really want, that glowy rich feel that won't look dark in a bezel. I will try to take pictures of the stones I have but am horrible getting representative photos. Please help me figure out what to look for and how to evaluate online photos! Also if you have any stone recommendations I am open to hearing about those also! Thanks!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few pictures:

_900.png

_901.png

_902.png

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
The stone on the left in the picture of three is the master it oval. The single stone is the gemfix stone. The gemfix stone is on the right in the photo of three. Can you please give me your thoughts and suggestions please? I am going to bezel the stone in a setting similar to yanazuls (I hope that is ok and I am not offending anyone ). I want a stone that glows like yanazuls and doesn't appear dark in the bezel. Thanks!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert, however, the colour of the round pops at me.

The middle oval one looks very dull in comparison.

The larger of the two ovals is fine, however, I prefer the round for its colour.

Hopefully the experts will come along soon to offer their advice.

DK :))

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Of those three I would only consider the round. I love your inspiration ring too & think you should stay with a round sapphire. I don't think an oval will give you the same look or feel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round; best colour and best performance.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! Does anyone have other stone suggestions? I want to make sure I can't do better than the round I have.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
lilysweet said:
Thanks for all the feedback! Does anyone have other stone suggestions? I want to make sure I can't do better than the round I have.

What's your budget? I'm assuming you're okay with heat only treatment, but wanted to confirm that?

ETA I think the round you have now is very pretty, and has a nice saturation and that glow that you were looking for. :)

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi VZ. I am looking for an ~7 mm stone, that one is 6.7. Heat is fine. I would like to stay around $1500 but would pay more if I am in love. That one is a little over 2k and am wondering if it is overpriced. Any opinions on that? Any other stone recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round is head and shoulders better than the others. In fact, I would never consider either of the ovals - windowed and lacking saturation.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Minou! You know how much I respect your opinion. What do you think about the round? Does it seem like a reasonable price for the stone? Should I continue shopping?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1453663535|3980774 said:
The round is head and shoulders better than the others. In fact, I would never consider either of the ovals - windowed and lacking saturation.

100% agree with this! As far as whether you should shop around I think it's totally your call and how much the stone "speaks" to you. :wavey: But it is beautiful and does have the color you are looking for, which might be hard to find in that size + price otherwise.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I think I might have missed the price on the GF stone. But fwiw, I think it depends upon whether you like silky stones. While it is true that a certain amount of silk really adds to the glow of stones, if you find a stone with vivid saturation, it can seem to glow as well. Your limitation will be your budget, as it would be next to impossible to find a minimally treated, vividly hued stone in your size for that amount. So that said, it sounds like the GF stone might do the trick...

But you know what? I answered your questions with my tastes. If you don't mind a less than strongly saturated stone - in other words, a stone which is perceived as "greyish," then those others might do the trick for you. Many PSers like stones slightly different than the trade ideal for sapphires, and that is awesome, because a lot of money can be saved. :praise:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, nvm! I realize you held up Yanaazule's vivid stone as an example - you have great taste, LS!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi lovedogs. I agree with your comments about size and cost. I think I am hesitant because I am so inexperienced with colored stones. I appreciate everyone giving me advice. There is so much Experience here to learn from. I do love the stone. I wish it were a bit bigger. That stone is smaller than yanaazul's and my finger is larger. I would make the ring in an 8-8.5. Even before I started looking at colored stones seriously for years I have wanted a sapphire and was inspired to look more aggressively when I saw yanaazul's ring. I want to make sure I won't make a rookie mistake when I could do better! :confused:

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Minou, I see what you mean about saturation. It is especially apparent when I look at the pictures I took comparing the three stones. It is much easier for me to see why even though I was thinking oval I really gravitated to the round I ordered from GF. That is what I am looking for. Just like with the spess, I am really drawn to the color. For this piece I definitely don't want to have a gray feel or too purple. Like I said earlier, I don't want to make a rookie mistake. It does have an inclusion at ~8 o'clock. I really can't see it unless the light is right or am using the loupe. Should that be a deal Breaker?

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
FWIW for your budget and requirements I think you've done very well with this stone. Re. inclusions, it doesn't sound like it's visible from a normal viewing distance, which would make the stone "eye clean" which is the usual CS standard (though some people like cool looking inclusions as well).

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
VZ, I appreciate you weighing in, thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Great options Chrono, thanks. I will give those some thought but it seems like the stone I have is the top contender now. I appreciate the help!

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I am no expert, but I love sapphires. I think that you have done really with that round for $1,500. As the real experts have mentioned, something has to give in that budget, and I think that is likely the loveliest one you will find.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireStyle|1453744449|3981215 said:
I am no expert, but I love sapphires. I think that you have done really with that round for $1,500. As the real experts have mentioned, something has to give in that budget, and I think that is likely the loveliest one you will find.
SS, if I am not mistaken, the Gemfix round is close to the $2K mark.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Hi lilysweet, I just saw this!

First, I am honored that you love my ring so much that you want to have your own!

That is indeed the sapphire I had ordered at the same time as the one I kept. It is beautiful, and a nice bright glow to it. Not as deep a blue as mine, though. It was closer to my oval sapphire -- you can see both on p2 of my thread, and in your pictures as well it looks to be close in hue to my oval. In my opinion it will look fabulous in a bezel. If you want to check, make a tiny cone of tin foil with the depth of cone being the same as the stone, slip the stone in, and hold the stem between your fingers and walk around (carefully!). That will be the darkest it will be, with no light coming in the sides.

I will say that it was a visible size difference, between the 6.7mm and 7.1mm. I checked to see if I had taken a picture of both on my hand, but unfortunately I didn't.

Having looked around for a while, I don't think you're going to find anything lower cost, and it seems hitting the 7mm mark brings a cost increase as well.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1453744649|3981219 said:
SapphireStyle|1453744449|3981215 said:
SS, if I am not mistaken, the Gemfix round is close to the $2K mark.

Sorry for the confusion!- but even at $2,000 k, I still think it is a good deal, if colour is important. The silkiness and potentially slight zoning don't bother me at all in the pics.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
For size, if it helps at all - My finger is 5.5 and my round sapphire, if I recall correctly is 7.3 or 7.4 mm.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone who has replied and added their wisdom. As a new CS shopper/lover I cannot adequately say how much all the help and advice has been in my search and for my piece of mind! I am investigating the stones Chrono listed and will keep you updated. Yanaazul, another opinion from someone who has seen the stone is invaluable, thank you! The stone I have is a bit over $2k so not a small amount for me hence my anxiety about the decision, especially given my inexperience. SS your ring in your avatar is gorgeous! :love: Keep all the tips coming! Thanks!!!

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lilysweet.

I know how difficult it can be to find just the right sapphire. Don't get too frustrated in your search. I believe that you will just "know" the right one when it comes along - and it will!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results