shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire halo engagement ring - got CADs!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2mm rounded band will look thinner than 2mm flatter band - it tricks the eye.
Yeah, a more scratch-resistant alloy will let you go longer between polishes, all else same - eventually they'll all look the same though, that's just part of owning cast platinum. Who knows, you might find you love the patina and decide never to polish it again - and you wouldn't be alone on here ::)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, Kate is going to be asking for a reset after seeing yours done! :) :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa lady! Firstly, you said you have small fingers and the stone is already bigger than what you were looking for. Then you went ahead and got a double halo ring? :-o :bigsmile: Seriously, it's beautiful. I noticed each melee having double prongs; a nice touch.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1351974499|3298050 said:
I personally can't stand patina, depending on whether/how much it matters to you YMMV

Heee, mileage varies even with the same person - I like my ring both polished and with the patina. I will be getting it polished soon for my engagement portraits and again before my wedding, because if the photographer does any closeups it will look better polished (plus to match the wedding band), but from real-life viewing distance I prefer the patina. lol.

And Emcee, I think the plain shank will be fabulous. It will definitely make it easier to mix and match bands.

Chalk up another who is jealous of your skinny fingers - a 2.5 is the size of my pinky! I thought my 4.5/5 ring fingers were small.

emcee

Rough_Rock
Chrono - 8) errrrrrrr... haha yeah I'm still not sure how I ended up with this ring :lol: I guess at the end of the day, I was so close to actually getting my dream ring that I decided to go for it so that I'd never have any regrets. Unless I end up regretting going too big, but all of us on PS know there's no such thing, right? ;)) It doesn't help that my bf (soon to be fiance...whoa!) is a bigger bling lover than I am and he kept insisting that a 3ct halo would be just fine :lol:

Is this setting considered a double halo though? I thought that was when there are two rows of diamonds surrounding the center stone. And goodness, you sure have hawk eyes. I didn't know the melee had double prongs, just that it was u-cut style pave.

distracts - It's great to hear that you love the patina on your ring! Do you know what platinum mix was used on yours and about how long it took to develop a noticeable patina? I guess I won't really know whether I'd love or hate it until I actually have the ring, but at least a harder platinum mix would give me the option of keeping the ring shiner for longer.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, it's a single row for the halo. :oops: I was looking through PS last night on my phone, relaxing on my bed without my glasses and now my secret is out that I have poor eyesight. :lol: It really looked like 2 rows of diamonds but I can see clearly on my huge laptop monitor this morning that those are just really big melees.

emcee

Rough_Rock
Haha, I see. Do you think the melee and halo are too large? I was told the melee are 1.1mm with the halo itself being 1.3mm. From what I've seen here on PS, that's on the smaller end since most halos seem to be in the 1.5 to 1.7 range.

For the melee, I'm not sure what point size is equivalent to 1.1mm though. Seems like it would be a bit under 1 point diamonds?

Perhaps this is another case of things being exaggerated in the CADs but I just want to make sure that all parts of this ring are nice and delicate and not heavy or clunky at all. Gahh, I hope Mark sends me the revised CADs soon!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 1.1 mm is a nice delicate size for your sapphire, not too big and not too small.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Hi Emcee... a quick question. Did you ever see Dan's 2.57ct oval blue unheated sapphire in person? He recommended that one to me as being very similar to your 3.09ct sapphire (he doesn't have anything 3+ct). If you have, I was wondering what your impression was since I would love to find a sapphire just like yours and if it is than I can request to see it (3+ct would have been a perfect size, but I'll take the 2.57ct if it is similar in color and sparkle).

Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
emcee|1352098642|3298894 said:
distracts - It's great to hear that you love the patina on your ring! Do you know what platinum mix was used on yours and about how long it took to develop a noticeable patina? I guess I won't really know whether I'd love or hate it until I actually have the ring, but at least a harder platinum mix would give me the option of keeping the ring shiner for longer.

Mine is the 90/10 iridium alloy. I think the patina may have been fully formed at around six months, after first starting to be noticeable to me around three. But I do know I helped it there with the rough side of a sponge at one point.

Here are pictures of the patina after a whole year - the ring in the middle is my platinum e-ring, the ring closest to my palm is a barely-worn silver ring, and the ring on top/nearest to the end of my finger is rhodium-plated.

IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg

And here's a super-magnified pic that shows the patina on the prongs and top, and then a less magnified pic that shows how unnoticeable it is:
img_2258.jpg
ring_close.jpg

emcee

Rough_Rock
Hey sebas, I responded to you in my other thread ::)

Distracts, thank you so much for sharing your experience and your photos! You're right, the patina really isn't very noticeable, even at one year. I suppose if it does bother me I can get it polished annually since I should probably get a jeweler to check on the stones anyway. On another note, that last photo of your sapphire is GORGEOUS :love:

I connected with Mark and he can make the ring in 95% plat 5% ru, so I'll be going with that. I'm still sorting out a few details with him, but I compared a bunch of the rings on his recently sold items list and realized that I much prefer shallow u-cut pave over deep u-cut (which is what my original renderings were for) so I'll be getting that changed.

Lastly, after examining my stone in further detail, Mark has advised me that going flush fit is doable but not really recommended because my sapphire is on the deeper side. Even if he does it, the ring would not be as stable and stone/halo would have to be set quite high. The other option is to go with a small donut (1mm on each side of the band) and then I can keep the stone nice and low. Unfortunately, it's not what I wanted to hear but it sounds like I should just suck it up and get a donut. Mark is going to send me some plastic models of the ring next week so I'll see how those turn out. :sick:

sebas

Shiny_Rock
How's the ring coming along?

emcee

Rough_Rock
Hi Sebas,

I can't believe how long this process has taken and how many delays have come up, but I should finally have the ring in less than 2 weeks! I'll definitely post photos when I receive it :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG TWO WEEKS YAY! I can't wait to see it!

sebas

Shiny_Rock
I'm so excited for you! :razz: I'm sure it will look gorgeous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right before Christmas too. What timing!

emcee

Rough_Rock
Yes, I can't wait!!

In case anyone's interested, here are some plastic models of the ring. Thank goodness I got these cause I found out that the rings were 1/4 size too small and these were easy to put on but so painful to take off!

Oh and it turns out that the shape of my sapphire meant it wouldn't work well flush fit, so I'm back to a donut. But at least it's a tiny one.

p.s. Why does PS always rotate the images?!? Sorry for the weird orientation and for the massive photo of my hands.

photo_150.jpg

photo_151.jpg

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Has it been 2 weeks yet? :appl:

By the way, will you be or have you already insured your ring? I am curious who you thought was good or if you are just going with someone local.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever happened to this ring? I must see it, I'm desperate!!! :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lin_ny|1361929316|3391361 said:

haha i was JUST thinking about this post! i would have posted but forgot the title

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
nielseel|1361930476|3391376 said:
lin_ny|1361929316|3391361 said:

haha i was JUST thinking about this post! i would have posted but forgot the title
What can I say, I'm a creeper. I hope she comes back soon with some pictures. :appl:

sebas

Shiny_Rock
I second that emotion. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results