shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire color

caseclosed

Rough_Rock
Hello, i am curious if you think this sapphire would qualify as “royal blue” or something else. The lab certificate called it royal blue. But does it seem a little light in tone? I tried to take some accurate pictures as much as possible.

Indoor fluorescent:
8BDD6F86-52F8-43F9-83F5-815BCD5B4E2D.jpegC587B428-3489-4FB4-8DEC-678BB31807D8.jpeg
Outdoor cloudy and sunny:
ECD967F6-A959-4CDE-8777-7225010CE0AC.jpeg
7CE9B1BB-2EAF-4F6A-8317-AE02F29F2908.jpeg

I do feel that the tone is lighter than your typical royal blue, but that's a positive thing, IMO. It appears to have good saturation, which is more important. To me, the ideal combo for blue sapphire is medium to medium-dark tone with vivid saturation. I try not to get too caught up in color designations. If it looks fab to me, I'm in. Lovely stone!

I do feel that the tone is lighter than your typical royal blue, but that's a positive thing, IMO. It appears to have good saturation, which is more important. To me, the ideal combo for blue sapphire is medium to medium-dark tone with vivid saturation. I try not to get too caught up in color designations. If it looks fab to me, I'm in. Lovely stone!
Thanks! I do definitely like this tone and color.

It’s gorgeous, what vivid color! I think it may darken after you set it, and that will bring it closer to the royal blue you’re thinking of?

Don’t buy the colour label, it can be meaningless, buy instead the colour that you love.
Its a beautiful sapphire, well cut, medium hue and vivid.
And be warned, indoor fluorescent lighting makes virtually all blue sapphires look “blah”.

Lab designations of royal blue are all over the map. And phone photos notoriously oversaturate blue. If those are accurate pictures (and I assume they are since they are yours and you say they are representative): the top one looks undersaturated for royal and the second one looks highly saturated but lighter in tone than royal. But I agree with others above that it is very pretty, which is more significant than an idiosyncratic "royal blue" designation. Name of the lab would help...

I’m still trying to figure out royal and cornflower blue. When I look for sapphires, I want vivid! A light spark, flashes more than dark ones. I think you found a winner!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP