shape
carat
color
clarity

Safe bedding practices

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
What did everybody do for bedding when you first had your baby? I want to make the baby's room look all cute and everything, but I know you're not supposed to use bumpers, quilts, etc... when they are little. What did you all do? How old can a kid be before you can safely use all the cute bedding stuff?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
She slept in a bassinet in our room at birth through 8 weeks. She moved in to her room/crib at 2 months. She has always had bumpers in her crib (she's 16 months now). We never used the comforter. I don't even know where it is. She used a blanket at 8 months but we stopped at 10 months.

I personally think a bed set is a waste of money. We had plans to purchase some fitted sheets and nothing else. We were given a set by my younger brother. As for the bumper issue, every mom has their hot button. Bumpers wasn't mine for various reasons. You have to do what's comfortable for you. The last thing you need is to be worried at night over something that is completely under your control, kwim?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I had Daisy in one of the Arms Reach mini Co-sleepers for the first few months which has padded sides anyway. I used a blanket with her from the start - they are advised in the UK but I'm not sure if they are in the USA.

She then moved into our bed - DH and I have a single duvet each in a king-size bed and she and I shared although she hates to be under the duvet and has always slept on the top. I have pillows but she sleeps further down the bed than I do.

We're transitioning her into her own cot at the moment and she has bumpers, a pillow, a blanket and a quilt in there (she's 17 months).

Bumpers are an individual choice - personally I would have opted for them as it stops them getting their arms and legs jammed or bumping their heads, and most babies will move away from anything that means they can't breathe. SIDS and suffocation are not the same thing. BUT, if I had a swaddled baby I wouldn't use bumpers or blankets - a) they don't need them and b) a swaddled baby can't move itself out of danger. Daisy was never swaddled (tried but it was a losing battle... :rolleyes: ).

E B

Ideal_Rock
Henry was also in a Arm's Reach co-sleeper for the first 4 months. (I highly recommend this if you're breastfeeding, since you don't have to get out of bed for each feed. We actually had a diaper changing station next to the co-sleeper, so if we had to get out of bed, it was only a few steps.)

At ~5.5 months, we transitioned him to the crib. His crib has only a fitted sheet and a breathable bumper in it, even now at 16 months. Breathable bumpers are great- they keep kiddo's arms and legs inside the crib and s/he can breathe if pressed up against it. Henry still, on occasion, has his face smashed against it while sleeping, so I'm keeping it in until we transition to a toddler bed, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby-Breathable-Safer-Bumper-Cribs/dp/B0013FGWD0

Oh, and another good thing about it is that it's too flimsy to be used to launch out of the crib, something I hear some babies do with traditional stuffed bumpers. I've seen Henry try to step on it, but it's so lightly padded it just folds flat underneath his foot.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
She slept in a bassinet in our room at birth through 8 weeks. She moved in to her room/crib at 2 months. She has always had bumpers in her crib (she's 16 months now). We never used the comforter. I don't even know where it is. She used a blanket at 8 months but we stopped at 10 months.

I personally think a bed set is a waste of money. We had plans to purchase some fitted sheets and nothing else. We were given a set by my younger brother. As for the bumper issue, every mom has their hot button. Bumpers wasn't mine for various reasons. You have to do what's comfortable for you. The last thing you need is to be worried at night over something that is completely under your control, kwim?

Ditto fiery. I have done everything in a crib that you aren't supposed to do, so I am the wrong person to respond. But I honestly think that if you feel most comfortable without a lot of stuff in the crib, then that is how you should do it. Supposedly safe = empty crib, just a flat sheet. For many reasons this doesn't work for us (Micah was in a bassinet until 2 or 3 months, swaddled, on his boppy or a pillow) but I think you need to do what works for YOU, not necessarily what is the "rule."

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both kids had the same bedding set which included the bumper. I switched it out to a breathable one when they were bigger, and I hated it, tho I kept it on b/c when I took it off London had an arm or a leg thru the slats and was stuck..7 years ago so I don't recall specifics, I just remember being freaked out that something would happen worse so I put it back on. I took it off for good earlier w/Trapper than w/London b/c he figured out he could push it down and stand on it to get out of his crib (and it could be pushed up so he could stick his arm thru the slats and grab clothes/diapers off the changing table and irk his mother to no end). I used the comforter as a "pretty" on the back of the rocking chair or hanging over the side of the crib when the kids weren't in it. And if I crawled in there to snuggle with them I took it w/me to cover up or use as a pillow. I had animals in the crib w/both kids. At the opposite end of the crib, just for looks. Neither kid rolled around all over the crib when sleeping so I never worried that they were going to suffocate on the animals, and none of them had pieces that could be picked off and stuck in a mouth.

I saw they do have breathable bumpers that are attached to the fitted sheet now. I don't know how they go on the sides of the crib, I just remember seeing them on the internet when Trapper was little and I didn't want to spend more money when I already had one.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
We had Evan sleep in our room in a bassinet until 8 weeks and then we moved (kicked...) him out and into his own crib.

We were dumb and bought the bedding set and the comforter is now balled up in his closet because it was a waste and you can't use it. We were bad parents and left the bumper on the whole time.

With this new baby we will probably just buy fitted sheets and skip the bedding set.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Repeat after me:

Bedding sets are a waste of money. Bedding sets are a waste of money.

Now, I need to repeat after myself:

Don't bother telling people that because no one listens. Don't bother telling people that because no one listens. :tongue:

I think the earliest crop of PS moms have said that bedding is a waste and that advice is ongoing with each crop of moms. And yet I see people buy them time and time again and then regret it (there have been a few exceptions for moms who just LOVE a cute nursery and don't care if it's not practical). That being said, the nursery is ideally where you will spend time, so I say make it the nicest haven you want if it makes you feel better. But my advice is spend the money for decor of the walls instead.

To answer your question, my kid had whatever sheets were on sale and a breathable mesh bumper. Most likely had the ugliest setup ever for a baby on PS. I'm gearing up to spend some money on her todder bed set, which will be a full size set though.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Repeat after me:

Don't bother telling people that because no one listens. Don't bother telling people that because no one listens. :tongue:

I think the earliest crop of PS moms have said that bedding is a waste and that advice is ongoing with each crop of moms. And yet I see people buy them time and time again and then regret it (there have been a few exceptions for moms who just LOVE a cute nursery and don't care if it's not practical). That being said, the nursery is ideally where you will spend time, so I say make it the nicest haven you want if it makes you feel better. But my advice is spend the money for decor of the walls instead.

To answer your question, my kid had whatever sheets were on sale and a breathable mesh bumper. Most likely had the ugliest setup ever for a baby on PS. I'm gearing up to spend some money on her todder bed set, which will be a full size set though.

TGal -- I listened :))

Based on what I read here we just got fitted sheets and a breathable bumper (which happens to be in the wash now -- we'll install it tonight as we found him against the rail last night -- he's beginning to be a mover in his sleep ...). I did get a crib skirt as well to make it a little more nice.
We also got the ultimate crib sheet based on recs here but haven't used them yet. The elastic at the four corners won't fit around our crib -- but I remember reading that TGal sewed some elastic on herself to make it work for her crib. If you're reading this, is that right, TGal?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
turtledazzle said:
TravelingGal said:
Repeat after me:

TGal -- I listened :))

Based on what I read here we just got fitted sheets and a breathable bumper (which happens to be in the wash now -- we'll install it tonight as we found him against the rail last night -- he's beginning to be a mover in his sleep ...). I did get a crib skirt as well to make it a little more nice.
We also got the ultimate crib sheet based on recs here but haven't used them yet. The elastic at the four corners won't fit around our crib -- but I remember reading that TGal sewed some elastic on herself to make it work for her crib. If you're reading this, is that right, TGal?

I did, and that made it even uglier. :rodent: Basically I cut off the end of the elastic with the snap. Did a hack job of sewing an additional length of elastic (not too long as you don't want it to be a hazard) to the bit remaining on the sheet, and then sewed the bit with the snap back on. I had to do it for each of the fasteners to make it work for the crib.

I don't know why they don't make that elastic a bit longer. The snaps on the UCS sometimes don't hold well either.

In hindsight, I would have just bought more regular sheets...they are actually easier to change than the UCS IMHO.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
my baby's still baking, but I have already made her bed and followed the "rules" to prevent cot death:

over the mattress, I have a water-proof cotton type of canvas which is supposed to cover 1/3 of the crib, at the foot. not allowed to ever be under baby's head in case of overheating/suffocation. then I have a mattress protector. then I have the fitted mattress cover. over that, I have a thin cotton blanket and over that a thin fleece blanket. I will most likely put her in a sleeping sack and swaddle her and put her under these two sheets. I am starting to think that this might even be too warm.

when tucking babies in, their feet should be against the bottom of the crib and the top of the blankets never above the shoulders. the covers should not be able to slip above the baby's head.

quilts, duvets, comforters are a no-no. so that is why I also just went for simple sheets.

noelwrbaby2bed.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Noel that photo is quite detailed..!! Our kid would never stay so nicely tucked in. ;))

J's crib has an organic mattress and organic mattress cover. I was a nut about that after reading all the toxic mattress things (and yes it's probably overkill but made me feel better).

I didn't bother with a 'set'. But, we have a super cute PBK bumper pad for his crib. I love it. I left it in there until he was about 2.5mo when he started to get mobile and it freaked me out. Then I put a breathable bumper on. That stayed til about 7.5mo. We just put his PBK bumper back on...mostly because he is super mobile now, SUPER strong, he likes to snuggle and sleep against blankets, crib bumper etc. He will even pull his sleep sack bottom up and roll into a tiny ball and snuggle with it. Also he was standing in his crib and the breathable bumper was freaking me out because he'd frequently fall straight backwards while learning to get down from standing and the breathable bumper gave him NO cushion if he hit the crib. The PBK bumper cushioned his fall.

Now he sleeps with a knitted blanket in his crib all night long. He's sleep sacked (one size larger typically) and he has 2 loveys in the crib with him. I don't worry about him (much). It's hard to say that because you feel like you are tempting fate, but really the kid is a mover and shaker and roams all over the crib. He likes to toss the blanket over his face to fall asleep and 10 min later he's halfway across the crib when I check on him.

That image that noel posted of the baby sleeping all quiet and happy under the nicely fixed blankets? Our kid would have been ok with that for umm maybe til month 2.5. After that even if he couldn't actually move his limbs to his command he's still squirm and wiggle all over the crib. He NEVER stayed/stays under blankets. And tuck them into the sides, sure, again, he'd just kick them down until he was exposed.

Speaking of being too warm, our boy loves to be warm. He will wake up MORE often and fuss/cry when he's cold. So we keep his room a little warmer and give him the blanket to snuggle with. The whole 'keep the room 68' wow... I am freezing at 68 in our house. I think he's more like me than my husband who is always warm and likes cooler temps.

Really as the other ladies have said, do what makes you feel comfortable. As a first time Mom, I definitely erred on the side of super cautious... and then over time I think you figure out your kid and what you feel comfortable with. Don't go against your gut--go with it. It usually will not steer you wrong.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
noelwr said:
when tucking babies in, their feet should be against the bottom of the crib and the top of the blankets never above the shoulders. the covers should not be able to slip above the baby's head.

That's kind of interesting, I had never heard about putting their feet near the bottom of the crib like that. But we do, because Micah scoots downward rather than up, and once his feet hit the slats he USUALLY stops. We have found him with an arm or leg out of the slats often enough (and upset about it!) that I put in the bumper. And not a breathable one, because he kept bonking his head on the sides, too. Plus he tends to rotate in place.

I have the most wiggly baby ever, I think. Hah. Poor thing.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This may be a bit unconventional, but possibly wait till after baby is born OR keep most of the stuff in the packaging just in case you don't use it. We had a cute crib set up (with the John Lennon Carter's sheets - so cute) and also a full basinet set-up. The deal is, we ended up co-sleeping and none of the stuff got used. Well, actually the Carter's quilt was used for baby naps, but nothing else was. Luckily the crib was a hand-me-down, but all else was new.

The best thing though was the hand knitted baby blankets my grandmother made and a hand-made quilt my friend made. I ended up using those for ME and still do! :)

cara

Ideal_Rock
I listened Tgal! The granmdmas didn't listen as well (we got a few too many sheets and impractical blankets) but no regular bumper or full bedding set or crib skirt or anything. We did splurge on the furniture though. We have a mesh bumper for the full crib but he's been sleeping mostly in an arm's reach mini co-sleeper since birth through present (he's 6.5 wks now), usually double swaddled in an A+A muslin blanket and a flannel blanket. The mini co-sleeper has a special fitted sheet and we put a waterproof pad underneath. I don't know about full sized co-sleeper, but the mini does not have padded sides; it has cloth sides that are very taught. I think the guidelines call for not-soft sides.

I've only used the big crib a few times for naps thus far, but we have fitted sheets, two ultimate crib sheets and some waterproof mattress pads. At some point we'll transition to sleep sacks from the swaddling gear. I'm not sure how much we'll use the ultimate crib sheets as we haven't yet had any incidents that required a middle of the night sheet change, but maybe that will change as Silas gets bigger and sleeps in longer stretches.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara said:
I listened Tgal! The granmdmas didn't listen as well (we got a few too many sheets and impractical blankets) but no regular bumper or full bedding set or crib skirt or anything. We did splurge on the furniture though. We have a mesh bumper for the full crib but he's been sleeping mostly in an arm's reach mini co-sleeper since birth through present (he's 6.5 wks now), usually double swaddled in an A+A muslin blanket and a flannel blanket. The mini co-sleeper has a special fitted sheet and we put a waterproof pad underneath. I don't know about full sized co-sleeper, but the mini does not have padded sides; it has cloth sides that are very taught. I think the guidelines call for not-soft sides.

I've only used the big crib a few times for naps thus far, but we have fitted sheets, two ultimate crib sheets and some waterproof mattress pads. At some point we'll transition to sleep sacks from the swaddling gear. I'm not sure how much we'll use the ultimate crib sheets as we haven't yet had any incidents that required a middle of the night sheet change, but maybe that will change as Silas gets bigger and sleeps in longer stretches.

We pretty much needed to change it if there was vomit, as my girl was a spitter upper until 7 months. Never had any issues with leaking until she was much, much older, and by then we were just using sheets and just washed as the leaking was fairly minor.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I did get a mattress made to fit inside the co-sleeper as I thought the one it came with was really thin and hard. I had it made in coir and sheeps-wool with a bamboo cover. I then used the hippy chick protectors that are waterproof but not plasticy, no idea how they actually work but they do.

We're also taught here to put the baby with feet at the bottom of the cot and blanket up to under the arms level like that picture.

It's more dangerous to keep a baby too hot than a bit too cold, so be careful how many layers you use. I think even babies have temperature preferences and it does depend if you are co-sleeping or not. I've noticed that Daisy sleeps under the covers when she's on her own and on top of them when she's in with us. Even when it's freezing here all she wants is thin pyjamas on, sleepsuits she struggles to get off while she's asleep.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the tips! I think we are going to go with just the fitted sheet and a sleeper sack or something...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora said:
I did get a mattress made to fit inside the co-sleeper as I thought the one it came with was really thin and hard. I had it made in coir and sheeps-wool with a bamboo cover. I then used the hippy chick protectors that are waterproof but not plasticy, no idea how they actually work but they do.

The what? :read:

Interesting about the co-sleeper mattress too. Did you find someone who makes these specifically? Or, it was something you had done custom?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're using just a fitted sheet and a safe breathable mesh bumper. That's it. No stuffed animals, soft bedding, loose blankets, comforters, or padded bumpers.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
We tried putting James in a hand-me-down bassinet right after birth, but he hated it and would only sleep in the baby carrier/carseat, all snuggled up in a sleep sack and a blanket. He slept there until he was about 8 weeks and then moved him into his crib in his own room. We got a bedding set as a shower gift and I used everything except the bumpers. We live in Ohio and it gets freezing here so we've always used at least one blanket in the crib for him. We have a mattress, a waterproof mattress pad/cover and fitted sheet in the crib at all times. James is 2 now and sleeps with at least 2 blankets and 3 loveys :shock: He is very particular about which blankets and loveys he takes to bed with him and will ask for them by name hahaha.

I should also mention that James has always been a tummy sleeper - just like me. Part of the reason he would not sleep in the bassinet was his extreme startle reflex, which is common in premature and preterm babies. After weeks of basically no sleep and a tearful call to the pedi, the doctor suggested we put him on his tummy to sleep. It's practically a federal offense in the US to do that but it worked like a charm for us.

In the fall and winter months we keep our house at 69 when we're home and 67 at night. James and DH are both hot bodied people and seem most comfortable at that temperature. I think it's too cold so I just snuggle in!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree about bedding sets. If you have the money and the desire do it but you won't use half of the stuff. Her bed was a waterless mattress pad, fitted sheet, the ultimate crib sheet, and a breathable bumper. I took off the bumper when she was using it as a step stool to escape :rolleyes: and added blankets and a small pillow. Let me say the ultimate crib sheet has come in handy when she has been sick or had a potty accident! Saves me from changing the whole set-up at 3 am.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage said:
Pandora said:

The what? :read:

Interesting about the co-sleeper mattress too. Did you find someone who makes these specifically? Or, it was something you had done custom?

http://www.hippychick.com/index.cfm..._id/78/subject/flat_sheet_mattress_protectors

Hippy Chick does nice baby stuff - some of it is a bit too Earth Mother for me but their products are really high quality.

The mattress I had to have custom made as the Arm's Reach mini doesn't take standard size mattresses, sheets or anything - the ones they produce I don't particularly like as they feel very hard and rough so I bought slightly bigger fitted sheets from other brands and made them fit!

I found the mattress manufacturer on eBay of all places - they charged me £30 GBP and it arrived in a week. They were a big company and had all the right certificates and the mattress had all the things like fire safety etc so it wasn't just someone knocking them up in their garden shed!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
DItto everyone else. I made sure to find crib bedding and decorations that I could purchase individually. I got sheets and a crib skirt but no bumper or quilt. I also got a matching lamp, basket for the changing table, hamper, valance, and wall art, so the room has a coordinated look without the unnecessary bedding. I also use the Breathable Bumper; without it DD can get her leg stuck through the slats. She likes to sleep right up against the edge of the crib -- feels safer, I suppose. BabySuperMall has a bunch of sets where you can buy pieces individually.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori, your daughter could climb on the breathable bumper?! That thing folds like PAPER under J.

And even the PBK quilted bumper folds down when he even tries to put his hands on it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
Tacori, your daughter could climb on the breathable bumper?! That thing folds like PAPER under J.

And even the PBK quilted bumper folds down when he even tries to put his hands on it.

I think she is part monkey. She has always been a climber and though it did not give her a big step up, it was still more than just the mattress. I found her sleeping on her changing table one night. :errrr:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara said:
I'm not sure how much we'll use the ultimate crib sheets as we haven't yet had any incidents that required a middle of the night sheet change, but maybe that will change as Silas gets bigger and sleeps in longer stretches.

I have used them from the first night she slept in her crib til now. Trust me, one day you will be VERY glad you put it on. Vomit, pee, poop...makes my life SO much easier.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
omg Tacori that is a little monkey hehe!

re: middle of the night sheet changes--J is 9mo and we have never had to middle of the night change the sheets. knock on wood. but i put him in a size bigger diaper (he's in 4's now and i might do 5's in a month or two) and while we have had a handful of nighttime diaper changes... and J was a spitter upper--for whatever reason he doesn't really do it at night. and also we have some tie down sheet savers that i have been able to put on in a pinch to 'cover' a random stain and then just wash the sheets next day.

i will say that i HATE changing the sheets on his crib. the bumper always gets stuck between mattress and slats and i swear i lose a few lbs struggling with it every time.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, it has come in handy as she has gotten older. I can't really remember ages but when she got her first flu (with REAL vomit) ick. Also with potty training and accidents of that nature. I hate changing her sheets too!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
omg Tacori that is a little monkey hehe!

i will say that i HATE changing the sheets on his crib. the bumper always gets stuck between mattress and slats and i swear i lose a few lbs struggling with it every time.

yes-i hate it! I guess with matresses so snug (as a precaution) it has made sheet changing a nightmare for mommies,especially with the bumper. Once I cut my finger as the matress crashed down with my finger wedged between the mattress and crib!

I also do not have the Ultimate crib sheet, returned it early on. But I've been lucky so far, not one mishap yet (now 2yrs). Maybe I'll pay for it soon, in which case I'll buy it again I'm sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results