shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby or Emerald????

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Strictly theoretical question here.
All things being equal, would you choose a ruby or emerald and why???
The question is assuming each stone is the same size (within realistic parameters) and color and shape that you prefer.
So for instance, a 2 carat pigeon-blood ruby or a 2 carat Colombian no-oil emerald!!!
You can only pick ONE :))
I’m just trying to get an idea of modern tastes in colored stones as I’m hoping to purchase one more (either emerald or ruby) to complete my collection….
Which stone makes YOUR heart flutter more???

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strictly theoretical question here.
All things being equal, would you choose a ruby or emerald and why???
The question is assuming each stone is the same size (within realistic parameters) and color and shape that you prefer.
So for instance, a 2 carat pigeon-blood ruby or a 2 carat Colombian no-oil emerald!!!
I’m just trying to get an idea of modern tastes in colored stones as I’m hoping to purchase one more (either emerald or ruby) to complete my collection….
Which stone makes YOUR heart flutter more???

I love emerald but I would choose a ruby because they are so rare (plus I already have a couple green stone rings)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I choose ruby, assuming unheated. I am picky about the particular shade of green I like, and unless it's near duck neck green, it's easier to be pleased with a wider range of reds in ruby. Also, ruby would be more durable in a ring.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
2 carat pigeon-blood ruby or a 2 carat Colombian no-oil emerald!!!

Not fair, I want both of such stones. I will take a good care of my precious no oil emerald, I love working hard :D
If I have to choose only one, I would have a ruby. I love the color red just a little more than the emerald green.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I am partial to Rubies I also love Emeralds -- tough choice really

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald, as I have a number of natural Rubies and three synthetic ones, as well as other raspberry red stones such as Spinel and Rubellite Tourmaline; wherease I only have a tiny 0.47ct natural Emerald and a synthetic one.

Therefore, I am low on Emeralds and green stones compared with red stones.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Last edited:
If I’m getting it for free, I’d pick the ruby; because I’m fairly sure it’s going to cost more than the emerald!! :D

I love both colours, which makes this a tough choice, but emeralds are my favourite gemstone, so I’d have to pick the emerald.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I don't have a big chunky one of either, so definitely would love both haha. However if I have to choose it would be ruby, since personally I find rubies easier to pair with things in my wardrobe/jewellery box and have been enjoying the small ones I have, plus the extra durability is a big factor as I'm currently going through a phase where I don't want to have to baby my jewellery too much.

Another thing is that although I think the best emeralds have the most enchanting colour of all green gemstones, a nice sizable demantoid or tsarvorite garnet is higher on my list when it comes to the green colour family, simply because garnet is my birthstone and I'm particularly fascinated by it.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Oh and another thing I forgot to mention, that makes me lean towards ruby more - personally I really like how rubies and sapphires look next to each other (and have a little ruby and sapphire toi et moi ring that makes me very happy), so I can see myself building up a collection of diamonds, rubies and sapphires where pairings can be rubies & diamonds, sapphires & diamonds, rubies & sapphires or all three; whereas I don't really have an idea yet if I'd enjoy combining emeralds with any other CS.

So I guess that could be something to consider - which colour combination(s) do you enjoy the most?

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
If you are talking price and quality being equal, I would take the ruby despite my normal preference being for emeralds. Simply because a top quality red untreated ruby is really difficult to find. And I assume if it’s untreated, it will have the same hardness as sapphire.

That said, these things aren’t equal. I think beautiful untreated emeralds are not hard to find with enough patience and budget. Hunting for a perfect ruby can take years, even if you have a generous budget. It’s up to you whether you will enjoy the challenge :razz:

IRL, I am not in the market for rubies because I know well what is within budget is not to my taste. However, I am happy with my emeralds and see myself continuing to buy emeralds in the future.

Last edited:

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
You all are just the best!
So what I’m hearing so far is that 2/3 of you would choose rubies with all things being equal and personal preferences and existing collections taken into consideration.
The biggest downside to emeralds is durability.
The biggest downside to rubies is the inability to find the one that tics all the boxes.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Definitely gives me a lot to think about....

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
You all are just the best!
So what I’m hearing so far is that 2/3 of you would choose rubies with all things being equal and personal preferences and existing collections taken into consideration.
The biggest downside to emeralds is durability.
The biggest downside to rubies is the inability to find the one that tics all the boxes.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Definitely gives me a lot to think about....

Quite honestly the answer is both, isn’t it? :lol: Is a collection ever completed?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby is my birthstone. A good ruby is magical but you need alot of $$$$$ for one of decent size and quality.
Emeralds are the best colour, the glow is fabulous and green is my favourite colour. However their crystal structure is more fragile, they cleave, so not really suited to a everyday ring.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ruby! I don’t trust myself with such an expensive, soft stone.

I also find red more flattering on me than green!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Rolling R RUBY.
I'm mad for red :love:

As much as I love emerald, durability is an issue for me.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Emerald because I like green :)

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Ruby!
I just bought a small, unheated ruby and love it. No regrets. It took forever to find the perfect shade and I finally found it. I had to settle for it is smaller than I wanted but the shade of red I love is so difficult to find. It will probably take me another couple of years to find a larger one.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby! I am just an all-around lover of red and shades therein. =)2

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Esmeralda Esmeralda Esmeralda!

- No questions at all emerald! It is my favorite color in the entire world! The lush color & dreaminess it provides can be found in no other stone, whereas spinel or certain garnets might mimic ruby.

I dream of only emeralds and more emeralds! ❤️

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I’m buying for investment, a neon Burma ruby of fine color and no treatment is going to be a much preferable option. They’re also far more durable gems than beryls.

However, if the above didn’t matter, I would pick an old mine Muzo of finest color and no treatment.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby! Green is my least favorite color. Red is one of my most favorite colors!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby - I love the glow and durability. I love glowy emeralds, too, but I'd still choose a ruby.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta say I'd feel like I'm "buying high" with rubies now. So much buzz around Burmas, etc. Not as bad as Kashmir sapphires, of course, but I feel like the market is out of control. It may never come back down to earth and I may have missed my window.

I think high-end ruby buying requires the most sophisticated buyer of any colored stone. Origin, clarity, glow, role of fluorescence, worn in bright sun or even overhead bright sun...it all quickly gets overwhelming. I would not buy a fine ruby without third-party professional guidance.

I feel a lot "safer" buying a no-oil Colombian emerald in a color that knocks me out...assuming I trust the vendor enough to know that it was not re-oiled after the report. All the "new" top emeralds I see (like on IG) look well-cut and well-proportioned.

But if we are talking a perfect 2-ct ruby vs a perfect 2-ct emerald, I'd take the ruby any day. Of course it would be 10X the price of the perfect emerald, if not higher.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results