shape
carat
color
clarity

***Ruby Help Needed***

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow members!

I'm very happy to be onboard and excited to learn from other members! I have never bought a Ruby before and I have been doing quite a bit of research.

I would like some help with Ruby's please. My wife was born in the month of July so naturally I'm wanting to get her a surprise Ruby solitary pendant necklace! She has no idea and I have no special reason other than just being a good husband! I'm looking for an oval or emerald cut, eye clean, unheated/untreated, pigeon blood red, transparent.

Below are the links of the ones I'm currently looking at. I would love to hear opinions on what they think of them.

The above one has a GRS report: 1.54c, oval, vivid red (pigeon blood type color), without strong florescence, no enhancement, transparent

The above one has a GRS report: 1.55c, emerald, vivid red (pigeon blood type color), without strong florescence, no enhancement, transparent

the above one has a GIA report: 1.14c, oval, transparent, red, no indications or treatment

These are the 3 stones that I'm considering currently. What is your opinions on the each one? How the actual stones look and how good are they really? Pricing on them? Suggestions?

Thank you all in advance and I really look forward to hearing from you!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Hello and welcome to the forum! Here my
comments:

- First ruby: overly dark, orange secondary color, large window and MASSIVELY overpriced. Avoid

- Second ruby: overly dark, MASSIVELY overpriced. Avoid

- Third ruby: like ruby 1. Avoid

If your budget is 10-15k, I strongly suggest you ask Inken from Enhoerning jewelry, she will source an awesome Mozambique or Tanzanian ruby you will fall in love with. Her track record is excellent and she knows what great rubies look like. Trust me ;-)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree.
No 1 has an unflattering orange undertone and is very dark. Will be even darker when set and will need very bright light or it will look more like a garnet.
No 2 I like much more. Still it is expensive for what it is. Has a good lab report.
No 3 is way too dark and unfortunately looks more like a garnet than ruby.
Rubies are very expensive. Lab reports are essential these days with their popularity and price. Heat only is acceptable and will get you more ruby for your $$$$ but a proper lab report is a must.

Hello there and welcome to the forum! I must say these are my favorite newbie posts... a husband wanting to surprise his dear wife with a new bauble. :D

I agree with my fellow enthusiasts that the 1.54 has an orange modifier and a massive window. I would avoid that one for certain.

My biggest issue with the 1.14ct. is that it appears to be overly dark.

Out of the 3, the 1.55ct. would be my favorite if it does in fact look like the below photo (I'm a sucker for a step-cut ruby).

Ultimately though, I would also advise to keep browsing. I think you can do better and stay on budget. Good luck!

certified-natural-untreated-mozambique-emeraldcut-ruby-1.5500-cts-r12580-lifestyleimage-1.jpg

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to the forum! Here my
comments:

- First ruby: overly dark, orange secondary color, large window and MASSIVELY overpriced. Avoid

- Second ruby: overly dark, MASSIVELY overpriced. Avoid

- Third ruby: like ruby 1. Avoid

If your budget is 10-15k, I strongly suggest you ask Inken from Enhoerning jewelry, she will source an awesome Mozambique or Tanzanian ruby you will fall in love with. Her track record is excellent and she knows what great rubies look like. Trust me ;-)

Well this was not the response I was hoping for, but exactly the response I needed!!! What kind of prices do you think should be on these stones mentioned above?

I reached out to Inken to see what she has to say. Can you please explain to me who she is and why she is trustworthy?

Thank you VividRed

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Hello there and welcome to the forum! I must say these are my favorite newbie posts... a husband wanting to surprise his dear wife with a new bauble. :D

I agree with my fellow enthusiasts that the 1.54 has an orange modifier and a massive window. I would avoid that one for certain.

My biggest issue with the 1.14ct. is that it appears to be overly dark.

Out of the 3, the 1.55ct. would be my favorite if it does in fact look like the below photo (I'm a sucker for a step-cut ruby).

Ultimately though, I would also advise to keep browsing. I think you can do better and stay on budget. Good luck!

certified-natural-untreated-mozambique-emeraldcut-ruby-1.5500-cts-r12580-lifestyleimage-1.jpg

My wife isn't very big on jewelry so I figured a very nice birthstone ruby for her would be amazing! Yup I'm 100% newbie for these stones lol.

the 1.54 with the orange all of you are mentioning, I just can't see it. Can you please explain a little bit on what I'm not seeing?

Can you possibly help me out and send me a couple links of exactly what I'm looking for in a stone in my budget please? This would give me a good baseline.

Yeah, I think we've all been there. Color is so nuanced... at first, we may not be able to decipher undertones as readily. And with ruby, because it's one of the most expensive gems in the world, even an imperceptible difference in color can drastically affect the price.

We all have varying ideas as to what constitutes the finest color of ruby, but I will try to provide some clear examples. Naturally, these are strictly my opinion, and others may disagree.

I used all stones from Yavorsky, so there would be some uniformity with the below samples.

This is what I would consider to be fine ruby color (and only judging color, nothing else)... vivid saturation, medium to medium-dark tone, open red hue, and just the slightest hint of pink or purple. Fluorescence will also play a part in apparent color.

fine.jpg

Some folks like a more pink-leaning red, such as this... for me personally, it's a little too pink, but clearly still fine color.
redpink.JPG

And this guy is way too pink.

Pink.JPG

Too purple.

purple.JPG

Too brown... also becoming too dark.

brown.JPG

Too dark. With all due respect to the glorious garnet, your ruby shouldn't look like one.

dark.JPG

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
You already have the ruby experts at your side. I consider myself a newbie and still remember what it feels like to know nothing, and this little detail jumped at me while reading your post.

You mention "without strong fluorescence" as a descriptor for the rubies you're considering. Now, I'm just guessing here, but I assume this comes because you know to avoid fluorescence in diamonds. However, with rubies it's the exact opposite. Rubies are all about that fluorescence, it makes them glow. It's a very desirable quality that the finest rubies do have.

And because you, just like any other newbie, are probably wondering what that looks like, check this ring to see for yourself:
This was posted by another PS member while she was searching for a ruby herself. This ring was one of several she considered and the video I'm linking was sent to her by the vendor. I saved it because it shows the meaning of strong fluorescence better than any picture I've seen.

Well this was not the response I was hoping for, but exactly the response I needed!!! What kind of prices do you think should be on these stones mentioned above?

I reached out to Inken to see what she has to say. Can you please explain to me who she is and why she is trustworthy?

Thank you VividRed

I'm sure @VividRed will be along to respond shortly, but I just wanted to mention that I've worked with Inken previously. She offers a concierge service for high-end gems (she also designs and manufactures jewelry using those gems). As Vivid mentioned, she is highly respected here on PS and beyond. Good luck!

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I think we've all been there. Color is so nuanced... at first, we may not be able to decipher undertones as readily. And with ruby, because it's one of the most expensive gems in the world, even an imperceptible difference in color can drastically affect the price.

We all have varying ideas as to what constitutes the finest color of ruby, but I will try to provide some clear examples. Naturally, these are strictly my opinion, and others may disagree.

I used all stones from Yavorsky, so there would be some uniformity with the below samples.

This is what I would consider to be fine ruby color (and only judging color, nothing else)... vivid saturation, medium to medium-dark tone, open red hue, and just the slightest hint of pink or purple. Fluorescence will also play a part in apparent color.

fine.jpg

Some folks like a more pink-leaning red, such as this... for me personally, it's a little too pink, but clearly still fine color.
redpink.JPG

And this guy is way too pink.

Pink.JPG

Too purple.

purple.JPG

Too brown... also becoming too dark.

brown.JPG

Too dark. With all due respect to the glorious garnet, your ruby shouldn't look like one.

dark.JPG

WOW, thank you for those examples. Clearly from what you have just showed me, all the ones I have initially linked in my original post are too dark. The first stone you pictured color looks good with a light pink to my eye but faint. The second stone is definitely to pink for my liking.

Autumn in New England, would it be possible for you to find a few links and post them in here of examples of nice stones that meet my criteria? This would certainly help my cause as I could save the links as a good baseline.

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
You already have the ruby experts at your side. I consider myself a newbie and still remember what it feels like to know nothing, and this little detail jumped at me while reading your post.

You mention "without strong fluorescence" as a descriptor for the rubies you're considering. Now, I'm just guessing here, but I assume this comes because you know to avoid fluorescence in diamonds. However, with rubies it's the exact opposite. Rubies are all about that fluorescence, it makes them glow. It's a very desirable quality that the finest rubies do have.

And because you, just like any other newbie, are probably wondering what that looks like, check this ring to see for yourself:
This was posted by another PS member while she was searching for a ruby herself. This ring was one of several she considered and the video I'm linking was sent to her by the vendor. I saved it because it shows the meaning of strong fluorescence better than any picture I've seen.

Hi Avondale,

When I was saying "without strong fluorescence" that is what is wrote on the second page of the GRS report. On the research I have done, is you wanted the strongest fluorescence you can possibly get as this is what makes them glow or look better in not as lit areas.

thank you for the video Avondale!

Like Autumn in New England, do you think you might be able to find me some links of some nice stones that meet my criteria so I can see them as good baseline examples?

thank you very much!!!

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
I'm sure @VividRed will be along to respond shortly, but I just wanted to mention that I've worked with Inken previously. She offers a concierge service for high-end gems (she also designs and manufactures jewelry using those gems). As Vivid mentioned, she is highly respected here on PS and beyond. Good luck!

She actually already replied and we will see where it takes us. I'm hoping she can really help me out!

thank you for the second good opinion on Inken!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
She actually already replied and we will see where it takes us. I'm hoping she can really help me out!

thank you for the second good opinion on Inken!

Inken is an expert in blue sapphires and rubies. I purchased an extra fine Mozambican vivid red ruby. She also sold a few stunning pieces which you can see on her instagram page. Glad to hear she already replied.

She is very easy to work with and will not pressure you into buying anything. She will help you find what you really want :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies are about the glow aka fluorescence. It’s one reason why Burmese rubies are so desirable and expensive.
You don’t want a ruby that looks like a garnet, nothing wrong with garnets at all but the price difference is massive.
You also don’t want a ruby that has been highly treated ie with residues. Sly / sneaky sellers will call them “natural”. Technically yes, but and the treatments are highly undesirable and some not stable. Such treatments can make a $50 gem look like a $5,000 gem. That’s ok if you paid $50 but the danger is spending $5,000 on a gem that’s not worth $5,000.
As far as tone and hue are concerned, it can be personal preference. The underlying tone can be orange or pink or purple.

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Inken is an expert in blue sapphires and rubies. I purchased an extra fine Mozambican vivid red ruby. She also sold a few stunning pieces which you can see on her instagram page. Glad to hear she already replied.

She is very easy to work with and will not pressure you into buying anything. She will help you find what you really want :)

Thank you for sending me to her!

I sent her a long email with my story and what I'm looking for so we will see what happens. I'm really hoping it works out with her!

Can you help me and maybe send me a few links to some good Ruby's so it will give me a good baseline on what I should be looking for?

thank you

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Rubies are about the glow aka fluorescence. It’s one reason why Burmese rubies are so desirable and expensive.
You don’t want a ruby that looks like a garnet, nothing wrong with garnets at all but the price difference is massive.
You also don’t want a ruby that has been highly treated ie with residues. Sly / sneaky sellers will call them “natural”. Technically yes, but and the treatments are highly undesirable and some not stable. Such treatments can make a $50 gem look like a $5,000 gem. That’s ok if you paid $50 but the danger is spending $5,000 on a gem that’s not worth $5,000.
As far as tone and hue are concerned, it can be personal preference. The underlying tone can be orange or pink or purple.

After my initial research, I was leaning towards getting a completely untreated/unheated stone.

What is your opinion on just a heated one? From what I have seen, the price is less than a non heated stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Untreated is usually the most expensive.
if you expand your search to include “Heat only” you will have a larger selection at a slightly better price point.
With rubies, aside from origin (Burmese is in a league of its own) and carat weight, colour is a big price driver.
The closer to what’s known as Pigeon blood red, the more expensive.
This is considered the “top colour”.
Mind you, so many rubies are called “Pigeon blood red” by their vendors but obviously they all aren’t the “same” colour so ignore labels (if possible) and buy what you prefer.
Colour is subjective, some prefer “stop light red” which is toning to the orange, others prefer a purple modifier or pink.

WOW, thank you for those examples. Clearly from what you have just showed me, all the ones I have initially linked in my original post are too dark. The first stone you pictured color looks good with a light pink to my eye but faint. The second stone is definitely to pink for my liking.

Autumn in New England, would it be possible for you to find a few links and post them in here of examples of nice stones that meet my criteria? This would certainly help my cause as I could save the links as a good baseline.

Sure thing... I will take a look around. What is your max budget, if you don't mind my asking? And I agree with @Bron357 that, although I prefer untreated, opening your options up to "heat only" would give you a much wider expanse of choices. Be sure the stone includes a certificate from a reputable lab (AGL, GIA, Gubelin, SSEF, Lotus, etc.) which confirms that the gem is not fracture-filled. If you do decide to go with Inken to source the gem for you, and I highly encourage you to, she is certain to only choose the best specimens for you. :)

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@flea_sly , thanks for asking. I enjoyed reading about your quest, and all the informative replies, too.
i agree with @Bron357 and @Avondale about fluorescence.
i have just one more thought - would you consider a cabochon too? With your budget you might be able to get a nice star ruby or a juicy cab. I have attached some photos. The first shows my unheated ruby ring (Centre) and a spinel ring glowing in
light. The second shows my unheated ruby cabochons. The third shows the ruby ring in low light. To me, good ruby should still glow under low light - you can see that this ruby has cast its redness onto the setting. The last shows my ruby bangle. The middle stone has the best color and the stones all fluoresce. I am not an expert. Just sharing what I have and like. B8A9F072-0227-4075-A606-D292CA5AFD60.jpeg
70EA500D-445F-48B7-A883-C0F65B926676.jpeg
20FBCDD8-393A-4253-83BA-64E776E21E2C.png
CDEDE371-86C3-45D3-930A-C83EE253907C.jpeg

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Sure thing... I will take a look around. What is your max budget, if you don't mind my asking? And I agree with @Bron357 that, although I prefer untreated, opening your options up to "heat only" would give you a much wider expanse of choices. Be sure the stone includes a certificate from a reputable lab (AGL, GIA, Gubelin, SSEF, Lotus, etc.) which confirms that the gem is not fracture-filled. If you do decide to go with Inken to source the gem for you, and I highly encourage you to, she is certain to only choose the best specimens for you. :)

Since you guys are saying "heated" is acceptable, I will open up for that if you find any good "heated" stones.

Is "heated" quite a bit cheaper than "non treated" or only slightly?

My budget for the stone and setting would be in the ballpark of 5k-15k. Should this price range yield a very nice stone?

thank you so much!

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
@flea_sly , thanks for asking. I enjoyed reading about your quest, and all the informative replies, too.
i agree with @Bron357 and @Avondale about fluorescence.
i have just one more thought - would you consider a cabochon too? With your budget you might be able to get a nice star ruby or a juicy cab. I have attached some photos. The first shows my unheated ruby ring (Centre) and a spinel ring glowing in
light. The second shows my unheated ruby cabochons. The third shows the ruby ring in low light. To me, good ruby should still glow under low light - you can see that this ruby has cast its redness onto the setting. The last shows my ruby bangle. The middle stone has the best color and the stones all fluoresce. I am not an expert. Just sharing what I have and like. B8A9F072-0227-4075-A606-D292CA5AFD60.jpeg
70EA500D-445F-48B7-A883-C0F65B926676.jpeg
20FBCDD8-393A-4253-83BA-64E776E21E2C.png
CDEDE371-86C3-45D3-930A-C83EE253907C.jpeg

thank you so much for sharing your amazing collection Crimson!!!

I would not accept a cabochon stones. My budget for stone and setting (14k white gold solitary pendant neckace) is up to 15k USD. Should I be able to find a very nice ruby and pendant for this price range or am I wrong in thinking this?

thank you

Since you guys are saying "heated" is acceptable, I will open up for that if you find any good "heated" stones.

Is "heated" quite a bit cheaper than "non treated" or only slightly?

My budget for the stone and setting would be in the ballpark of 5k-15k. Should this price range yield a very nice stone?

thank you so much!

Untreated rubies definitely carry a premium. Yes, I think your budget can certainly accommodate a fine stone. Worst case scenario, you may need to sacrifice weight a little to get the quality you want. It's always a give and take to get your perfect combination of the 4 C's with any stone. :cool2:

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
The seller of the original stones I first mentioned on the top of this thread, sent me this picture and a couple short videos of them in outdoor lighting and indoor lighting. Not sure how to post short videos in this thread or if I even can.

PXL_20220916_190717003.NIGHT.jpg

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@flea_sly To me, the rubies in the above photo don“t look promising. They seem overly dark.
I agree with @Autumn in New England you can get one within your budget. I am afraid that while helping you find possible rings, I might be sorely tempted to buy more rubies! :mrgreen2: Anyway, here is a nice one from The Rare Genstone Co. I trust them. They can make custom jewelry as well. I bought something from them two weeks ago, and some others earlier.

@mellowyellowgirl you are so kind =)2

Last edited:
The seller of the original stones I first mentioned on the top of this thread, sent me this picture and a couple short videos of them in outdoor lighting and indoor lighting. Not sure how to post short videos in this thread or if I even can.

PXL_20220916_190717003.NIGHT.jpg

I think while these are both perfectly fine crystals, you may find them to be too dark/orangey/garnet-like in person (as our dear @Crimson pointed out). Truthfully, the windowing bothers me more than anything. But certain collectors are more sensitive to that than others. I look forward to seeing what Inken comes up with!

P.S. I, too, am a big fan of The Rare Gemstone Company (Antony)!!

P.P.S. I think you can save the video to your computer, and then upload it to this thread as you would an image. Or you can cut and paste the video's URL into the thread (if it's a youtube or vimeo clip).

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Starruby as well

Harshil is lovely. I've bought two pink spinels off him in very seamless transactions and they were very well priced.

Also try

Suhail is wonderful. I've only bought rubellites from them, not rubies but you could try to contact them. They have some terrible pictures on their website though so just message him and tell him what you're looking for (eg no pink, no brown etc).

I bought a heart rubellite from them that I would not have touched had I only gone off the website pictures! I didn't even request pictures because it looked terrible on the website but when they went to retrieve the actual stone and take video footage of it, it was gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results