shape
carat
color
clarity

RUBY facet edges, color, inclusion (Curved Striae) Help pls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys! I need some helpful advise please...
33.gif

I''m a newbie here and in the world of colored gemstones. I''m confuse right now with this round "ruby" that I recently got. Starting with its color, it''s a fiery deep red and it glows like a hot coal... I read from other threads that synthetics are normally clean. But this "ruby" of mine isn''t. It has some inclusions which I''m not so sure how to describe it. It''s like thin veins (feathers/cracks?). Is curved striae visible in the naked eye? About the cut, hmmm, I think it''s "native cut" ''coz its cut is not really symmetrical but the overall look is still acceptable. I''ve also read from a link (http://www.thediamond.com/Color_Stone_Guide/Rubies/ruby_synthetic.html) that a ruby''s facet edges should be crisp and sharp. Mine is sharp & crisp and it has no scratches at all. I''ve also tried scratching a glass and a garnet using it and it did leave a visible scar (scratch). Goring back to the feather-like inclusions (cracks), I read that it reduces the value and durability of a ruby esp. if it greatly affects the clarity & glow of the ruby. Mine has this feather like inclusion but still, the color & glow of this "ruby" is still great esp. when it''s outdoor & exposed to sunlight. Indoor, the color is still solid even in black background...

Lastly, earlier today, I found this site that shows images of diff. inclusion of ruby which made me more confused
39.gif
(and sad) esp. after seeing the fire-mark inclusion
Link: http://ngi.com.sg/gallery.html

I don''t have digicam but I''m gonna borrow one from my cousin this weekend and take a snap shot of this "ruby" and post it here.

BTW, I''m from the Philippines & here, colored gemstones are not really valued (sad). We don''t even have some gem labs that offer gem testing or appraisal that''s why it''s really frustrating for me not knowing if my "ruby" is natural, synthetic, or simulated.

Thanks in advance & hope to hear some views/opinions esp. from experienced gem lovers
2.gif
26.gif

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
perhaps it is a flux treated ruby. if you put it under the microscope and see bluish wispy inclusion, it is flux treated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could well be a natural ruby that has undergone berylium diffusion, hence the natural inclusion yet unreal colour. I'm sorry that there's no way to be able to tell this via online but maybe a local gemologist might be able to help you. AIGS is in Thailand but I'm not sure if it's worth sending it there. I'd try a local expert first though.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Thanks soberguy & Chrono. Your responses are truly appreciated.

Last week I bought my own loupe (20x) and sadly, I saw some curved striae. That''s it. Case is closed. It''s not a natural stone...
emsad.gif

Guess I''ll just get rid of "ruby" and try to find stones which are less expensive & simulated hehe...

...Hmm, do simulated/synthetic spinel have fingerprint inclusions? ''cos I bought this tiny red orangish stone from a muslim vendor (she doesn''t know if it''s garnet or what) all she told me is that it was from thailand ''cos most of their products are supplied from Thailand & Burma... I (kinda) believe her ''cos they''re also selling diamonds with certificates... & when looked on it (red orange spinel?) using my loupe, I saw some fingerprint inclusions (it''s more visible on its pavillion) BTW, she''s not the seller from which I bought my syn. ruby...
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones I completely stay away from are sapphires, rubies and emerald for good reason. They''re so simulated and heavily treated, that unless you''re buying from a very reputable dealer that will supply a lab report (from a highly reputable and sophisticated lab), you''re likely to get junk. Sapphires/rubies are so heavily treated, and don''t forget that rubies are also often lead glass filled as well which devalues them significantly. Emeralds are also filled to hide cracks with a myriad of resins, sometimes colored, which is disconcerting.

It''s too bad because there are no gemstones on earth that can truly match the red, blue and green of the finest of these stones. Unfortunately because of that, and because of so much unscrupulous dealings in the trade, these stones are adulterated to the point of no return. It''s extremely sad. I always get so excited when someone gets a beautiful untreatedl natural ruby, sapphire emerald. It''s almost like finding a needle in a haystack.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered a red spinel? Read this on another site and it has some nice pictures too.
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/spinel-resurrection-of-classic.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d be cautions about red spinels and only the reds. The new synthetics are extremely well done (difficult to detect) and even the fake rough comes in that perfect natural octahedron form. It''s just too scary a thought.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me about it, it''s very scary to buy spinel because it''s so heavily synthesized. The synthetics used to be obvious, but they''re not anymore.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Very scary. I've really started to appreciate the two poorly cut red spinels I have no that there are ( clever) fakes on the market and the prices are getting high.

ETA. So how are the new fakes different from the older ones? Besides the shape of the rough.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi again! Thanks Chrono, TL & innerkitten to your responses & to your advise to be more cautious when it comes to buying Spinel... innerkitten, thanks for that helpful link. Appreciated
5.gif

By the way, I finally got some snap shot of my alleged "spinel"
9.gif
Pls forgive the quality (I''m no good in taking snap shots.
21.gif
)

allegedspinel.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks rather interesting. If not expensive, it''ll be something interesting to keep.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 3:00:30 AM
Author: blithesome71

...Hmm, do simulated/synthetic spinel have fingerprint inclusions? 'cos I bought this tiny red orangish stone from a muslim vendor (she doesn't know if it's garnet or what) all she told me is that it was from thailand 'cos most of their products are supplied from Thailand & Burma... I (kinda) believe her 'cos they're also selling diamonds with certificates... & when looked on it (red orange spinel?) using my loupe, I saw some fingerprint inclusions (it's more visible on its pavillion) BTW, she's not the seller from which I bought my syn. ruby...
2.gif

Yes, flux grown synthetic spinel can contain fingerprint inclusions. Flux grown synthetics also have a refractive index that is close to that of natural spinel. It's impossible to discern from your pics, but I do see the inclusions. Could be flux fingerprints--could be natural.

Other things to look out for with synthetic spinel are tiny metallic platelets and orange colored flux. Be careful not to confuse orangey flux with rust colored iron oxide staining that is found in natural spinel. Natural spinel may contain minute octahedral crystals. A very fun inclusion that proves the stone is natural.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results