shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby diamond ring

United2020

Rough_Rock
Hi. Can anyone tell me
Much about my grandmothers engagement ring given to me? I can see on the ring itself it says 18kt
It would have been bought by my grandad aprox 1930’s to early 1940’s in the uk. My mum always said it cost him quite a lot , he wasn’t short of a few bob!
I’m very curious about it .
many comments welcome please , thanks E2D37CE9-E2DF-49D8-9FC0-C0A8621B91E1.jpeg A3C62906-702C-4913-85BD-655CBAE3724C.jpeg 538EC6F8-A504-44D6-81DE-DBE8FA79BED7.jpeg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty, and what a wonderful treasure from your grandparents! If it were mine I would send it for a report to see what/if any treatments the ruby has. If it's unheated/untreated it is worth some decent $. It also could be heavily treated or even synthetic, lowering the monetary value. There was a time where marketers convinced consumers synthetic was BETTER than mined gems, so understand that there are lots of synthetic gems set in high gold and diamonds. I would lean towards it not being synthetic, as i do see some inclusions, but it doesn't mean for sure. It could be lead glass filled and be worth only the setting and sentimental value. Only a reputable lab can tell you what it is. I say I would have it done mainly to know if I needed it insured or not, not suggesting you sell it. Looks like Dutchess Fergie's engagement ring!

United2020

Rough_Rock
Very pretty, and what a wonderful treasure from your grandparents! If it were mine I would send it for a report to see what/if any treatments the ruby has. If it's unheated/untreated it is worth some decent $. It also could be heavily treated or even synthetic, lowering the monetary value. There was a time where marketers convinced consumers synthetic was BETTER than mined gems, so understand that there are lots of synthetic gems set in high gold and diamonds. I would lean towards it not being synthetic, as i do see some inclusions, but it doesn't mean for sure. It could be lead glass filled and be worth only the setting and sentimental value. Only a reputable lab can tell you what it is. I say I would have it done mainly to know if I needed it insured or not, not suggesting you sell it. Looks like Dutchess Fergie's engagement ring!

Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to post this. That’s interesting to know. Yes I think I will have a professional look at it , would be good to know either way.
thank you , I really appreciate your advice :)

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
What a pretty ruby! I am guessing it is a natural ruby, just going with my gut here. You can tell by the cut of the diamonds it is old...*sigh* Love it...

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Hi. Can anyone tell me
Much about my grandmothers engagement ring given to me? I can see on the ring itself it says 18kt
It would have been bought by my grandad aprox 1930’s to early 1940’s in the uk. My mum always said it cost him quite a lot , he wasn’t short of a few bob!
I’m very curious about it .
many comments welcome please , thanks E2D37CE9-E2DF-49D8-9FC0-C0A8621B91E1.jpeg A3C62906-702C-4913-85BD-655CBAE3724C.jpeg 538EC6F8-A504-44D6-81DE-DBE8FA79BED7.jpeg

What a beautiful classic piece! Definitely take it to a jeweler for an appraisal and maybe a certification! I hope it can stay cherished in your family for many generations to come!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I own a synthetic spinel vintage ring and my gut is also guessing that yours is a real ruby. Don't take our word for it and get it checked! And enjoy that ring... it is one I would certainly love to inherit!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results